Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Apollo X 1965 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Salvaged,rebuilt,custom and kitbash projects.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic: MDC Consolidation Restore
Page: of 3

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 17 2021 :  1:42:08 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
Thought i would place what i have been working on over the years here two at a time.

My first custom an athearn w/v caboose. Testors gloss, Microscale 87-951 guilford decals finished off with testors dullcote. This was way back when you could actually get parts.
The shell was from ebay.

y second custom was a blank shell combined with parts from the parts bin and a damaged diesel. The same procedure but with Microscale 87-1225 N/S horsehead scheme and testors semi-gloss black.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 93  ~  Member Since: November 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator 

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 17 2021 :  9:48:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
This cost me a fortune but i had to have it. Someone cut down a tyco c430 and it ended up in this condition. With what was left of the decals i figured out it was cns&w, luckily someone had the decals for sale on the internet. After cleaning off the chalk (weathering) I had to use Gilford orange stripes to contrast the gold decals.Sprue for the fuel tank posts and parts from the bin finished the project. Oddly enough for Tyco this one runs really well and is one of my favorites.

This is a restore, not much to say. I was able to clean most of the red paint from the cab roof and the parts came from a c430 with a broken front prow.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 93  ~  Member Since: November 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 17 2021 :  10:26:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice work! I really like that Norfolk Southern GP20!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 17 2021 :  11:50:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yeah, those look amazing. Guilford is now Pan American
railways. The logo of the bankrupt airline was purchased.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - March 18 2021 :  12:10:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Your NS GP-20 turned out really good. Excellent work on that.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 18 2021 :  10:51:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Yeah, those look amazing. Guilford is now Pan American
railways. The logo of the bankrupt airline was purchased.

Originally posted by Chops124 - March 17 2021 :  11:50:31 PM

yes but CSX just bought the Pan American Railways!
NS is mad about that
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 18 2021 :  2:54:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
Some interesting information. has any other railway not been baught out other than Union Pacific? I know at some point Santa fe became bnsf.

Got this one for two reasons 1.needed the motor for another project,2. Could not find another tyco/mantua BN diesel with the number 628. Spent years trying to find another but after a lot of research I finally figured it had to be from the Mantua blue box 1980-90 run as it does not match any of the other BN Tyco/Mantua diesels. Restored it back to the original MU2 drive.

This is more of a restore. Purchased with a pile of junk shells thought it worthy of saving.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 93  ~  Member Since: November 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 18 2021 :  7:57:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Well, CN has gobbled up a few lines, and Kansas City Southern
bought up a lot of Mexican railroads. Not sure about CP, but think
they grabbed some, too.

Horn Oil, that is neat, never seen that before. What is the make?

Edited by - Chops124 on March 18 2021 7:58:59 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 18 2021 :  8:35:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Very nice work! I too, like the 430s! I want to get a common Chessie System sometime.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 18 2021 :  9:24:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice!

Also, you are right. That BN F9 shell was made by Mantua after they split from Tyco in the '80's, and you can tell by how the stepladders "bump" out from the shell. Tyco did, however, make a green BN F9 during the Red Box Era of the '60s, with the MU-2 motor. The later Mantua diesels had MU-2 motors too....so I'm guessing someone down the line put PowerTorque trucks under that shell.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 18 2021 :  9:41:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
Thanks Chops124 it was your standard tyco tank car. I looked it up and Horn Oil actaully exists, it may have been done by an employee.

RP model railroads yes a long confusing line between mantua and tyco. I have pictures of all the variants except the number 628 diesel, I can post the pics I have if you like.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 18 2021 :  11:00:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks Chops124 it was your standard tyco tank car. I looked it up and Horn Oil actaully exists, it may have been done by an employee.

RP model railroads yes a long confusing line between mantua and tyco. I have pictures of all the variants except the number 628 diesel, I can post the pics I have if you like.

Originally posted by 430Hoarder-March 18 2021: 9:41:14 PM

Please!

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 19 2021 :  10:26:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
okay here are the mu2. Red box era.

Brown box era.

Mantua orange box.

Now you have to take into account the Tyco "swoosh box and Tyco orange box" these would have had the power torque drive. And the Mantua red box which would have had 8 wheel drive and can motor. Not really interested in those models though. And that would leave the Mantua blue box mu2 which is why i think it is the 628 i have.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 19 2021 :  11:32:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
that really isn't how BN did their E-units
https:
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 19 2021 :  1:02:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
Actually the tyco units are F units not E.

And yes Tyco and Mantua used artistic license , they look nothing like the real diesels.

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 19 2021 :  1:26:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
Should have mentioned the previous picture is an fp unit but the f9 was dressed similarly and not like the E.

Another shell purchased where someone managed to match the color scheme of the tyco sd-24 rocky mountain line but for some reason never finished the project. Basically i just photographed the decals off the sd24 and printed them out on testors decal paper. The Mountain decal did have to be resized to fit the gp20.

Though i detest these later model f9's i had the yoke to repair this one. I was inspired by the lifelike ICG diesel to produce this.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 19 2021 :  9:13:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow! That ICG later-version F9 looks awesome! What a great re-paint job.

Also, that Rocky Mountain Line GP20 looks incredible - certainly a great "what-if" Tyco locomotive, as in what if they actually made that.....

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 19 2021 :  11:19:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Primo paint and decal work, 430 Man.

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - March 21 2021 :  1:49:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist

Wow, nice paint and decal work! It's a shame IC never had a fleet of F7 units, they look great in the orange and white paint scheme. At least Illinois Central Gulf painted some ex-GM&O F3 units in Orange and White.

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 21 2021 :  11:46:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
Thanks Rp Model Railroads it's a bit of a no no. your not supposed to mix paints, the white is testors the orange is badger but it works.
which is more than i can say for the finicky diesel even after the workaround.

Srenchin that may be where the different model companies got the idea. Have seen an F3 and F9 in a similar paint scheme.

Had no intention of saving this union pacific diesel. Needed the motor and siderframes for a c430. Then i realised i had the parts in the bin for another diesel so i made this NS f9.

As you can tell i prefer fantasy livery, a lot more interesting if you ask me. Took a junk texaco tanker and a metal frame to create an Illinois Central Gulf/ Gulf Oil tanker. A bit of Whimsy perhaps.

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 22 2021 :  01:07:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I like the tanker a lot!
Edited by - walt on March 22 2021 01:07:43 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 22 2021 :  08:07:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice NS F7!! Also, I too love that ICG tanker.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 22 2021 :  09:27:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
there is such a thing as Gulf Oil
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Oil

do you need a matching caboose for that rocky mountain line loco?

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 22 2021 :  10:20:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
Thanks microbusss already have the caboose, purchsed it while completing gp20.

Edited by - 430Hoarder on March 22 2021 10:31:20 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 23 2021 :  12:23:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
430 Man, you are putting out some primo stuff. That ICG tanker is dope.
Love that classic Mountain set, such a great piece of Tyco fantasy.

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 23 2021 :  2:35:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
Thanks Cops124 and there is a lot more to come.
I also have the sd-24 and matching RML caboose.

This NS diesel is a frankenstein. Purchased the Durango for the motor now it has a later model f9 plastic motor.

This santa fe diesel was damaged. Liked the MDT diesel but could not figure out the color so i used testors italian red to contrast the black decals. Also had to cut the front prow to add the snow plow.

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 24 2021 :  2:04:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
Naturally I had to make a consist for the MDT diesel. These are Athearn grain loading boxcars on various Tyco Mantua trucks and floors. Something weird with the lighting the boxcars actually look better than they do in the image.

Another shell purchased. A shell with a good Wabash paint job. Just needed decals and parts.

Also the sd-24- gp20 comparison.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 24 2021 :  9:22:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Please keep it coming! Wow, you have done some incredible work!! Love the 2nd Norfolk Southern GP20 as well.

Edited by - RP model railroads on March 24 2021 9:22:34 PM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 25 2021 :  09:30:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

"Should have mentioned the previous picture is an fp unit but the f9 was dressed similarly and not like the E.

Another shell purchased where someone managed to match the color scheme of the tyco sd-24 rocky mountain line but for some reason never finished the project. Basically i just photographed the decals off the sd24 and printed them out on testors decal paper. The Mountain decal did have to be resized to fit the gp20."

Originally posted by 430Hoarder on March 19 2021 at 1:26 PM.

Wonderful results. Thanks for sharing the details.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5840  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 25 2021 :  12:23:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
Thanks WKS glad i won this lot of shells as i never would been able to do the custom paint.

RP model railroads- four more posts to go. Yes i have over 1400 diesels and rolling stock and about 20 or thirty customs in the making, with more on the backburner but that will take a while. Also have other peoples customs i expect to post in the future. As well as some of my favorites.

My Tyco FM C-Liner for norfolk southern. The internals are tyco the weight and tank are kitbash. Easy transformation.

Rather than post all my norfolk southern consist seperatly. Here is what i have so far.
These diesels would not run with all the rolling stock so i replaced the wheelsets on the crane and work car with Intermountain 33" and 36" wheelsets.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 25 2021 :  9:25:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow!! More awesome stuff.

*drools over NS lot*

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - March 27 2021 :  10:46:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
This is some amazing custom work! Very well done!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 28 2021 :  11:21:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
Did not know if i could save the paint on this Penn Central diesel but it cleaned up nicely. Just touched up the paint on the cab, and did dullcote. Put cab glass in and replaced those horrible plastic handrails. Naturally had to make a matching caboose.

This is what you get when you take a paint and decal damaged spirit of 76 and a heavily damaged BN gp20 with incorrect truck frames. Sort of based on the Amtrak soda can scheme.

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 29 2021 :  9:41:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
Another fantasy item the wabash city of kansas city. Yes the c-k-c was actually an e unit and i chose not to use the traditional blue and gray paint scheme.

Already have the Mantua orange box Amtrak gp20 but i decided to do a power torque version. All i can say is that the decals were cheap and the repairs easy.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 29 2021 :  10:01:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

You definitely have talent to fix those items.
You been making up for being absent from this forum for so long.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5840  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 29 2021 :  10:07:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Really nice looking pieces!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 30 2021 :  07:43:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Really, really awesome work!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 30 2021 :  12:07:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great stuff!

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 30 2021 :  10:44:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
Needed the upper platforms for other tank cars. Then found and extra base in the parts bin.
So took a step from the hooker tanker and c-a glued it to the dupont and made two coca cola tank cars.

Thanks WKS, finally got the internet back after years. About 80 percent of my diesels are repaired or restored wether it be as simple as traction tires and bulbs or up to repairing motors.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 31 2021 :  07:14:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Seamless work!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 31 2021 :  10:35:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
now do a PEPSI tank car!

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 31 2021 :  10:44:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
Sorry microbusss have a ton of coke decals no pepsi.
Thanks RP model railroads.

Managed to save this old bobber. The coupler boxes and couplers are restored to original parts. Cleaned it up, added a repro metal brake wheel and at the time i was working on the Wabash diesel so i had the extra decals.

Inspired by the PMI c-420 took a damaged gp20 and parts to create this CP rail diesel.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 01 2021 :  07:20:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
There is the Shark Master, now there is a Geep Master!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 01 2021 :  08:44:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice!

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - April 01 2021 :  3:17:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
Thanks Chops124 still have 14 -16 diesels to finish and probably half are GP20 but i still prefer the C430.

Had to create a matching caboose. Number 689 pays homage to the generic 689 caboose it originally was.

Also forgot to post my SCL stock. This is backwards because I purchased the caboose first and made the diesel and boxcar to match it. The boxcar is IHC.

Well thats it for now, still working on my magma arizona boxcars but there will be more in the future.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 01 2021 :  9:09:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Love 'em!! Amazing work!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 02 2021 :  12:23:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
the CP Rail I'D like is the Silver Streak passenger set
course all this do make me drool for

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 02 2021 :  01:16:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
The SCL pieces are amazing!!

430Hoarder
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - May 13 2021 :  3:45:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 430Hoarder to Buddylist
Always manage to forget something. Here are my two ICG boxcars.

Former damaged New Havens.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 13 2021 :  7:39:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Really amazing work, thanks for posting. Loving this.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 13 2021 :  9:37:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I agree - *drools*

Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic: MDC Consolidation Restore  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000