Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 29 ]  [ Total: 29 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Rolling Stock
 Mystery car, related to Tyco?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Promotional 50'' Boxcars Topic Next Topic: CBQ Operating boxcar  

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - September 25 2006 :  02:11:53 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
OK... is the shorty Tyco operating hopper based on a real and/or common, prototype? I always thought it was sorta generic, but then maybe loosely based on a real car owned by a handful of roads? A Tyco exclusive in any case? If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me, after all I am asking the question.

So, I present to you the following:

The car on the right is an old track-cleaning car I found in a junk pile at the local club. I'm intrigued because save for a few minor differences, it is nearly identical to Tyco's operating hopper! The dimensions are the same, the rivets are 98% the same... the only notable differences I can see are the stirrups, and the end ladder grabs lacking fine detail. But you can't overlook the glaring similarity of using the same, uncommon, small, bottomless open-frame hopper shell design - complete with non-prototypical "for operating purposes" inset slope sheets (which would not be a necessary requirement for a cleaning car).

So who made this car, and when? And more importantly, can I use regular ol' LifeLike track cleaner in there?

The rather bizzare horn-hook coupler mounting may be a clue as to its maker, but I have never seen one like this before. Unfortunately this car rolls like it has cinderblock wheels. Even trimming the axle sleeves so as not to interfere with the coupler srping didn't help as much as I hoped.

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on September 25 2006 02:16:56 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator 

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - September 25 2006 :  02:49:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
The track cleaning car was sold by AHM in the 70s
Besides the fact that I bought one in the 70s (and still use it) As you said, the couplers are a clue to the manufacturer and era.
I changed the pad on mine to a piece of T-shirt material and wet it with windshield washer fluid before using it.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - September 25 2006 :  1:27:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
That's funny - AHM. I only have a few of their cars but none have that truck/coupler design. Nice to know who made it though.

How did you remove that pad? There are screws at the top of the metal plate, under the hopper body, but I can't get a screwdriver in there. In fact I disassembled the entire car and removed the tank to get the gunk out, and still didn't see an easy way to remove the pad screws.

What should I fill the tank with? Does it work well?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MagnoliaAcademy
Hudson

Posted - September 25 2006 :  7:05:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MagnoliaAcademy to Buddylist
Re: The weird look-alike hoppers:
I have two ancient non-track-cleaner versions of the same hopper with cast bottoms and talgo-type trucks with metal wheels. These things, which I bought from an old fifties/sixties working layout, are so old they're equipped with mantua loop couplers. They are decorated for BM in a rather funky too-light blue. Aside from that there isn't an identifying mark anywhere on 'em.
AHM picked up the three dome tanker after Crown gave up the ghost--wonder what other old designs they latched on to? That might explain the "early" look of the seventies track cleaner.
MagAc
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 446  ~  Member Since: December 09 2005  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2006 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Promotional 50'' Boxcars Topic Next Topic: CBQ Operating boxcar  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000