Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Scrap Box Boxcab
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The 2-8-8-2 is now a Rio Grande Locomotive! Topic Next Topic: Custom Tyco New York Central ALCO C430  

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 16 2020 :  2:18:12 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Several things come together in this project.
1) I’ve been doing projects from the scrap boxes lately, partly to use stuff that’s been languishing in boxes, and partly to do fun projects that don’t need me to shop for stuff at stores and train shows (both unavailable, lately).
2) There’s a fictional company (Earthworm Tractor Company) from the writings of William Hazlett Upson, of whom I am a fan. I thought of an additional fiction in which Earthworm gets into the industrial switcher business.

(Photo from Amazon website)
3) I had what is probably the mechanism from the Marx answer to the Athearn Hustler. I had finally figured out that the reason it ran poorly was that it needed a shim to correct the mesh of two of the gears. Once I had that corrected, it was worth building something around it.
4) I had an old Model Railroader article about building boxcab diesels from old caboose shells. I also had some old caboose shells that I picked up cheap at a swap meet last year. I wanted to try out the idea.

Incidentally, when I saw the byline again, I realized that I knew the author through a mutual friend.

Here are the basic pieces. There’s the motor/truck mechanism, a caboose (I ended up using two of these), and a piece of sheet plastic from which I made the beginnings of the frame. Of course many more parts, like couplers, details, and more pieces of sheet plastic would be added.

The plastic frame piece is assembled into the truck assembly. This will be the basic platform for adding on the body, couplers, etc. You can also see some shims built into the frame for correcting the gear mesh, and for stabilizing the frame.

Here, the couplers are added. It took much shimming to get the proper height. The yellow wires and the light bulb will soon be gone.

The basic form of the frame and the shell are now in place. Caboose details having nothing to do with a locomotive are carved off, and holes for the windshields are cut in the ends.

Here’s how the frame and the shell assemble. There wasn’t much room for screws on the end toward the gears, so two hooks grab a small flange on the shell. The other end has screws that come up through the shell into a larger flange with threaded holes.

Detail parts like air tanks, ladders, railings access hatches, and uncoupling levers now dress up the frame.

Lead weights, glued into the frame add a bit of weight for traction and electrical pickup.

The frame is now completed and painted. The crew in Earthworm City, IL has proudly attached the company’s trademark.

External details are now on the shell. There are two headlight castings, an exhaust stack turned from a piece of sprue, a radiator housing made from a chopped down cupola and a piece of grid-type roofwalk, an air horn turned from a piece of copper wire, some railings, and some small overhangs over the windows and windshields.

Details better seen from this side are the ladder to the roof and the air operated bell. The bell is an old Mantua bell with a hole drilled into the top. Pressed into the hole is a piece of wire representing the air pipe.

A head-on view shows the wind shields cut in the end. The overhang above the window is plastic angle stock salvaged from some old bridge parts.

A piece of lead glued under the roof adds more weight. The end windows are glazed with clear film from the leaders on a roll of slide film. The middle windows are glazed with pieces of black film from the same leader. This nicely simulates a window with darkness behind it.

The finished product sits painted and weathered in the yard.

Tests on the mainline show it able to haul three freight cars and a caboose up the ruling grade.

It’s not a bad runner. There is a bit of noise that’s inseparable from the design. The big spur gears that take the power from the motor shaft to the worm shaft turn at the speed of the motors, so teeth are meshing loudly. If I run it on half-wave DC, or in parallel with a taillight bulb, it’s quite controllable at all speeds. On full-wave DC, straight off the throttle, it has two speeds: Dead stop and Mach 6. That’s not a problem, since both throttles on my layout have half-wave DC available.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 16 2020 :  2:33:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Shaggy, amazing work as always. I always enjoy reading your posts. Keep up the great work!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 16 2020 :  3:09:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Beautiful creation!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3325  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 16 2020 :  4:29:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wonderful kitbash work, as always!!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - July 16 2020 :  6:49:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Nicely done! You're joinery work on the two body halves is superb. You can't see the joint on the final loco, at least I can't.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 16 2020 :  6:56:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
now you need a mini figure of Earthworm Jim at the controls

I will look for one of these at toy show this year Maybe if its open on Oct 3rd
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - July 17 2020 :  10:03:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Nicely done!
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 17 2020 :  3:31:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Thank you all for the kind words.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Dr. John
Switcher

GMOAvatar

Posted - July 18 2020 :  1:20:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dr. John to Buddylist
Great job of providing step-by-step instructions and photos. Nice little boxcab!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 37  ~  Member Since: January 02 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 19 2020 :  01:10:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Whooa. That really is new and different.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11212  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - July 19 2020 :  01:12:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Great looking little "oil-electric", I would love to see a video of it inoperation!

I too made a boxcab loco inspired by the same MR article.

You can see a couple videos of my little unit running here...

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18799

I used a Tyco Plymouth switcher mechanism with an MU2 power truck with great results. You can see it in this forum listed as "Tyco Boxcab". This is an excellent beginer's kit bash project.

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on July 19 2020 06:33:21 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 19 2020 :  11:59:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

The best I could come up with is slap a pair of pantagraphs on top of a RH box cab.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11212  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 19 2020 :  5:18:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Srenchin,
Here's some video:
https://youtu.be/D1jerHYlbno
I remember your boxcab from when you posted it. It's a sharp looking and good running locomotive. It looks to be a lot closer to what the article described than what I did, and you did a pretty tidy job of cutting those doors into the side of the engine.

Chops,
With so many electrics being boxcabs, that Roundhouse boxcab looks pretty natural with pantagraphs on it.

Carpe Manana!
Edited by - scsshaggy on July 19 2020 5:20:19 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Dr. John
Switcher

GMOAvatar

Posted - July 21 2020 :  7:29:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dr. John to Buddylist
Great video! The gears give the boxcab a nice growl. Impressive low speed, too.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 37  ~  Member Since: January 02 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 22 2020 :  09:14:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Awesome video shaggy!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 22 2020 :  7:23:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Great video!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - July 23 2020 :  11:10:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Well done. I too like the sound it makes.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: The 2-8-8-2 is now a Rio Grande Locomotive! Topic Next Topic: Custom Tyco New York Central ALCO C430  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000