Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 AHM/Rivarossi Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 The B&O Pratt Street Fleet - Rivarossi 0-4-0s
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: some questions about my new y6b Topic Next Topic: gears and wheels spining but train wont move  

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 26 2019 :  5:54:22 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
So I went to a train show last weekend, and got some really great stuff. I'll share more of it later. I'm trying to collect riv docksides with valve gear, so when I saw two of them for $10, they came home with me. One was in perfect running order, and the other was in bad shape, but the valve gear was fine. The one in perfect condition even has a weight that's not cracked, so it sits perfectly of the cylinder saddle!
However, both were INCREDIBLY filthy. Seriously, you have no idea. Old oil slathered everywhere made for a great contact surface for carpet hair and gunk. It was really gross. So when I got home, I instantly cleaned it.

Long story short, I put it all back together, and now it does nothing. Tested the motor with leads, still runs, put the leads across the contacts and on the spot where it gets power through the frame, motor spins. Put it on the track (motor out) (One lead on the spot where it gets power from the frame) and it only goes when either the two back wheels are on, or when both insulated are on. I'm very confused, as I have put it back together exactly as it was. Please help! Thanks!

(I am aware one of the 'hooks' on the one contact broke, but it still touches the wheel, and was working like that before.)

Thanks!

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on November 27 2019 2:07:08 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 27 2019 :  2:11:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Ok, so I got it working again, but the motor is getting hot, and is starting to smell a bit after some run time, and runs a bit slow. I hope the motor is not on its way to burning out. I dont have proper labelle lubricants yet, so I am holding off on running it until I get them. Will lubrication help? Is the motor burning out?

Also, how can I prevent the one good weight I have from expanding?
I am going to sand down the other weights so they sit flush as well.

Help is appreciated!

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on November 27 2019 4:45:28 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 27 2019 :  2:32:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Heres the plan for my "Pratt Street Fleet" and others. So far I have one complete docksider #98, and parts to make at least another with the valve gear. I do not have any of the C-16A's (the ones with the tenders) yet. I will need two of those with the valve gear.

Heres my planned Rivarossi 0-4-0 roster:

C-16 0-4-0 #98 W/ Valve gear (Black Windows and number plate) B&O

C-16 0-4-0 #96 W/ Valve gear (Red windows and number plate)
B&O

C-16 0-4-0 # W/O Valve gear (But with the cross head, guides, and handrails) Painted yellow for "Potter Lemon Co."

C-16A 0-4-0 & TNDR #96 W/ Valve gear
B&O

C-16A 0-4-0 & TNDR #99 W/ Valve gear
B&O

Yes, it's quite a few, but believe it or not, I'm halfway there. Just need a few more docksider parts and the C-16A's. I'll post the updates on the fleet here. I love detailing, so maybe some of you will take my ideas to spruce up your own docksiders!

Till' Then!

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on November 27 2019 2:33:28 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 27 2019 :  9:52:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Sounds like you might have an electrical short somewhere, double check
to make sure you don't have a wire or something that is out of place.

Another thing to check are your motor brushes, Rivarossi motor
brushes can decompose over time. I would recommend pulling them
out for inspection, check to make sure they are not broken.

As for your weight, the problem you are referring to is called "zinc pest",
I am afraid there is no cure once an afflicted part starts to expand. This topic
has been discussed in this forum here...

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8365

Good Luck

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on November 27 2019 9:59:36 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 28 2019 :  12:56:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
An Docksider roster, how cool is that! Hope you
Get the bugs out.

Edited by - Chops124 on November 28 2019 12:59:17 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 28 2019 :  07:49:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
As stated, I got the one I had mentioned above working, so I should still check the brushes?

And my dad has a grinder machine, so I used that to sand down the expanded parts of the weights, and voila! It worked! They all sit perfect now!

My new problem is that #97 now does not work. Which is strange because all I did was swap wheelsets (ones without valve gear, to ones with valve gear) and did not move any of the electrical stuff. The motor was working fine before. why cant this be easy!!!

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - November 29 2019 :  2:03:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
Yeah I have asked that same question before as well. I just cleaned/lubed an old Tyco trolley - now it won't work at all. Dead. I obviously changed something in the process but haven't figured out what yet. I'll go back to it later.

The biggest obstacle in figuring out problems is starting from scratch and eliminating all your assumptions. Follow the route of the electricity every step of the way. You are assuming that one or more links in the chain of electricity is OK, when it may not be.

The most common issue when removing/replacing wheelsets in a loco is getting the pickup wheels reversed. Just one pickup wheel in the wrong configuration will stop the whole works. I once worked all night on an Allegheny, that turned out to be one wheelset reversed on the tender. Not a good night.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - January 12 2020 :  7:44:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I've heard that nickelplate 759 had remotored one of his Docksiders with a flat can motor of some sort. Has anybody done this, and could provide info on what motor to use and what modifications I'll have to make? Thanks!

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - January 12 2020 :  8:42:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
A CD-ROM motor was used. Just about would drop in per say. It's a tricky model to repower.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - January 12 2020 :  9:05:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
A CD-ROM motor was used. Just about would drop in per say. It's a tricky model to repower.

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - January 12 2020 :  8:42:37 PM

Do you know the model number? Thanks!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 13 2020 :  1:11:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
you need to start taking before pix when buying these

but still thats pretty cheap for locos

Edited by - microbusss on January 13 2020 1:11:44 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - January 13 2020 :  4:49:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
you need to start taking before pix when buying these

but still thats pretty cheap for locos

Originally posted by microbusss - January 13 2020 :  1:11:11 PM

Do you mean to show the process of restoration, or so that I don't keep breaking things

I'm usually pretty good with getting things back up and running, these docksiders are honestly the first ones I've really had issues with, and it's because I'm not good with electricity!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 21 2020 :  5:02:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
A little update on these guys, Numbers 97 and 98 are up and running.

#98 is essentially done, but #97 needs a coupler cut bar, rear coupler, and decals.

I may add seperate cab grab irons, but we will see.

After that, I'll begin collecting the two C-16A's.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 21 2020 :  5:38:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A most interesting fleet!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 22 2020 :  08:31:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
A most interesting fleet!

Originally posted by Chops124 - April 21 2020 :  5:38:05 PM

Indeed they are, I'll try and get some pictures up later, if i'm not distracted by my new Jupiter when it arrives!

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on April 22 2020 08:32:13 AM
  Previous Topic: some questions about my new y6b Topic Next Topic: gears and wheels spining but train wont move  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000