Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Tyco PT Plymouth Help
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Body Mounting KD''s on a Boraxo Pullman 4740 hopper Topic Next Topic: Did I kill my Pacific''s motor?  

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 24 2019 :  5:48:26 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Just as it sounds, I am restoring this old tyco Plymouth switcher (It's the Transformers one, with the radar dish, but without stickers) And it was one of my first locos that I got at my first train show way back when. My dad really likes it because of the radar dish so I decided to pull it out of my 'shops' and try to restore it. I've fully cleaned it, but obviously, the carbon brushes are missing. No wonder it never ran before. Does anybody have replacements or know where I can get some similar carbon circles to fit?
Also, are those two wires to the pickups on the right spots? It doesn't look like there should be two wires on one joint. I think there should be one on each, leading to the carbon brushes.

Thanks Guys!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 24 2019 :  6:08:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
You're 100% right - It should definitely be one wire soldered to each contact....not sure who did that, but that's another reason why it will not run.

As far as the brushes go, I think there are replacement brushes for sale on Ebay. (Upon tearing down one of my PT C430 motors, it had 2 copper brushes and 2 small copper springs that went into those holes) I do, however, have quite a few extinct Tyco PT motors that I might be able to extract brushes from, if someone else here can verify that any PT brushes are compatible with a Plymouth Switcher (as I don't know for sure personally, but would assume so.)

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 24 2019 :  6:14:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
You're 100% right - It should definitely be one wire soldered to each contact....not sure who did that, but that's another reason why it will not run.

As far as the brushes go, I think there are replacement brushes for sale on Ebay. (Upon tearing down one of my PT C430 motors, it had 2 copper brushes and 2 small copper springs that went into those holes) I do, however, have quite a few extinct Tyco PT motors that I might be able to extract brushes from, if someone else here can verify that any PT brushes are compatible with a Plymouth Switcher (as I don't know for sure personally, but would assume so.)

Originally posted by RP model railroads - October 24 2019 :  6:08:13 PM

Found another thread that talks about this, would these work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AURORA-MODEL-MOTORING-TUFF-ONES-WILD-ONES-SILVER-PLATED-COMMUTATOR-BRUSHES-NOS/123744013202?hash=item1ccfb7cb92:g:1xQAAOSwHMJYLheO

Thanks for the assistance!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 24 2019 :  6:18:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by RP model railroads - October 24 2019 :  6:08:13 PM

Oh, so I am also missing the springs as well?
Darn old owner, who knows what happened!

Found another thread that talks about this, would these work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AURORA-MODEL-MOTORING-TUFF-ONES-WILD-ONES-SILVER-PLATED-COMMUTATOR-BRUSHES-NOS/123744013202?hash=item1ccfb7cb92:g:1xQAAOSwHMJYLheO

Thanks for the assistance!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - October 24 2019 :  6:14:02 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - October 24 2019 :  7:22:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
It may be more trouble than it is worth to fix that old Power Torque mechanism.
I would recommend finding a Plymouth switcher with a working MU-2 mechanism
and simply do a shell transplant. Good luck!

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 25 2019 :  5:20:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Srenchin - October 24 2019 :  7:22:24 PM

Yeah, Srenchin is right there. Say you replace the brushes and springs, and then the PT pinion gear pops off....that would be quite irritating, to say the least, after having put in so much work. But, it's up to you - if you want a more reliable Tyco Transformers Plymouth switcher (go with an MU-2 motor chassis,) or an 100% accurate one (restore the PT.)

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 25 2019 :  6:35:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I see your point, but Its not that important to me that I would buy a whole new motor to transplant, unless I found one at a train show

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 25 2019 :  7:14:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Yeah, Srenchin is right there. Say you replace the brushes and springs, and then the PT pinion gear pops off....that would be quite irritating, to say the least, after having put in so much work. But, it's up to you - if you want a more reliable Tyco Transformers Plymouth switcher (go with an MU-2 motor chassis,) or an 100% accurate one (restore the PT.)

Originally posted by RP model railroads - October 25 2019 :  5:20:19 PM

Could you please direct me to some Ebay listings with the correct Aurora carbon things and springs please? I just want to make sure I get the right thing, thanks!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 25 2019 :  9:17:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by RP model railroads - October 25 2019 :  5:20:19 PM

Could you please direct me to some Ebay listings with the correct Aurora carbon things and springs please? I just want to make sure I get the right thing, thanks!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - October 25 2019 :  7:14:39 PM

You actually wouldn't need to swap motors out at all....just the shells. Here's an Ebay listing for a Tyco Santa Fe Plymouth Switcher with the MU-2 style motor. If you were to buy a switcher like this, all you would need to do is pop off the old shell, and pop-on your Transformer shell.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-TYCO-SANTA-FE-ATSF-241-SWITCHER-ENGINE-HO-SCALE-MODEL-NOT-TESTED-USA/153600328618?hash=item23c34b03aa:g:3rsAAOSw1pddULG2

But again, it is your decision. I just wanted to clarify what Srenchin was suggesting.

As far as the correct pricing/listings for replacement brushes and springs go, I have no clue.

Edited by - RP model railroads on October 25 2019 9:18:57 PM
  Previous Topic: Body Mounting KD''s on a Boraxo Pullman 4740 hopper Topic Next Topic: Did I kill my Pacific''s motor?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000