Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Introduce yourself.
 New and already asking questions..
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: old but new Topic Next Topic: Hello Everyone.  

RRCos
Switcher

Posted - May 24 2019 :  9:50:28 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RRCos to Buddylist
Hello everyone my name is Rob

I have a Mantua 2-6-0 steam locomotive and tender that was setup for DCC.. The chip has been removed and I would like to rewire it back to DC but I can't find a schematic that shows where the wires are connected to. The tender only has a rear light connected to a resistor. The motor has no wires attached. All help is appreciated.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: May 24 2019  ~  Last Visit: May 25 2019 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 25 2019 :  11:00:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Well, I'm sure you'll get an answer. Basically, with all DCC, the
motor is isolated from the frame and from the track, and the
electricity is thus routed through wires that go to the frame
and the pick up wheels, and or drivers. Connecting lighting
functions is simply wiring the lights to the two corresponding
color coded wires, that the schematic will tell you. Same with
the correct colors that correspond to the motor terminals
and the negative/positive pickups on the locomotive frame
and wheels.

You will have to do some soldering, using care not to burn
up something delicate in the process. Basically, the motor
is isolated, and follow the color coded schematic.

If you're new to DCC, which can be a bit finicky, wouldn't
you be better off getting a plug-and-play, or already DCC
fitted locomotive?

Myself, I've worked with DCC, had fun with DCC, but
came to feel that simpler is better, so I am hardly an expert on
the subject. Let us know how it works out!

Edited by - Chops124 on May 25 2019 11:04:18 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 01 2019 :  11:24:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Hello everyone my name is Rob

I have a Mantua 2-6-0 steam locomotive and tender that was setup for DCC.. The chip has been removed and I would like to rewire it back to DC but I can't find a schematic that shows where the wires are connected to. The tender only has a rear light connected to a resistor. The motor has no wires attached. All help is appreciated.

Originally posted by RRCos - May 24 2019 :  9:50:28 PM

Typically, Mantua locomotives have the locomotive frames electrically connected to the right rail and the tender frame connected to the left rail. One terminal of the motor should be wired to the locomotive frame, and the other to the tender frame. If the locomotive ends up running the opposite way from your other locomotives, switch the wires.

As for the lights, it's hard to say what you have. Typically, a DC Mantua 2-6-0 headlight would be grounded to the weight in the boiler, which is connected to the frame, electrically, by the screw through the cylinder saddle, and then a wire from the end of the bulb or socket would run to the motor where it's connected to the wire from the tender. As for the lights in your engine, I don't know if they're the typical headlight bulbs or something special the previous owner set up for headlights wired to the DCC receiver. You may have to experiment with what you have.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 02 2019 :  08:23:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Not being a DCC operator I can't help you. I do know that the chip socket is wired to everything you want to power up for operation. Also there is a plug you can get at a good hobby shop that will replace the missing chip and provide the necessary jumpers to use the loco for DC operation.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: old but new Topic Next Topic: Hello Everyone.  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000