Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW: April 29th to Cinco De Mayo
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW 5-6-18 to 5-12-18 Topic Next Topic: LOTW: April 22nd - April 28th  

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - April 30 2018 :  10:26:56 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Hello All,

I guess I will start off this week with what I believe might be a Trackside Specialties P5a. Possibly one of only 18 made in 1968 with a International Model Products mechanism.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!

Edited by - Mustangs_n_Trains on April 30 2018 4:30:59 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 30 2018 :  11:13:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Viva! That hunk is so damn ugly that it is beautiful. Great post!
I'm going to circle back to Tycomania Fusion. When I saw this
riot of color on eBay, I had to have it. Swore no more, but what
are oaths if not for breaking? Anyways, it's a Cox. Apparently
it was part of a promo Canadian set, not much else I know.
I don't dare fire it up until it is cleaned and oiled. My first
Cox locomotive. Have no idea what to expect.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11212  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 30 2018 :  7:54:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Hello All,

I guess I will start off this week with what I believe might be a Trackside Specialties P5a. Possibly one of only 18 made in 1968 with a International Model Products mechanism.

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - April 30 2018 :  10:26:56 AM

I read about thison Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Railroad_class_P5
Apparently after the engineer & conductor were killed in a semi vs train accident it hadda be redesigned as a GG1 type of loco
truck was filled with apples btw
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 30 2018 :  10:29:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Interesting history. Never would have known.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11212  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - April 30 2018 :  11:51:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist

Just got my 2nd Lima Via to double head a Mantua VIA set...

Mike

Edited by - Mike on April 30 2018 11:55:10 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: May 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 01 2018 :  06:56:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
My Mantua B&O old timer 4-6-0.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on May 01 2018 06:56:39 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Heihachi_73
Switcher

Posted - May 01 2018 :  4:29:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Heihachi_73 to Buddylist
quote:

Just got my 2nd Lima Via to double head a Mantua VIA set...

Mike

Originally posted by Mike - April 30 2018 :  11:51:43 PM

Great machine, those six-axle Limas are virtually indestructible. My FP45 received some additional weight over the motor and center weight (it now weighs 360g/13oz) and an all wheel pickup mod, it runs like a dream. Lima locos have metal wheels even on the insulated side so it isn't too hard to wire them up.
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 89  ~  Member Since: April 29 2016  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 02 2018 :  03:08:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Mike, you have the most amazing Canadian collection. That Lima
looks ready to conquer the distance from Ottowa to
Vancouver, and back, stopping only for fuel and sand.
Week to week, I never know what killer piece you are
going to pull out of your sleeve!

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 02 2018 :  07:15:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Sean great old Pennsy P5. You mentioned Trackside Specialties. I know the guy who runs it in Long Valley. Hyland. That is a International IMP product. Yours looks like a past owner rigged it for subway style third rail pickup. maybe used it for a tunnel motor. Sean don't those Pentagraph support brackets look just like the Tyco ones on their GG1? Maybe a chance for a direct replacement.
frank

quote:
Hello All,

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on May 02 2018 07:28:38 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - May 02 2018 :  3:30:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
Sean great old Pennsy P5. You mentioned Trackside Specialties. I know the guy who runs it in Long Valley. Hyland. That is a International IMP product. Yours looks like a past owner rigged it for subway style third rail pickup. maybe used it for a tunnel motor. Sean don't those Pentagraph support brackets look just like the Tyco ones on their GG1? Maybe a chance for a direct replacement.
frank

quote:
Hello All,

Originally posted by toptrain - May 02 2018 :  07:15:47 AM

Hello Frank,

I have had a couple emails back and fourth between Jim Waterman. His father was the owner of Trackside. He and I both agree that this is definitely earlier than anything produced by Trackside. He offered that it looks like a late 1930's piece. Given the motor, I think I agree. Another friend offered that it looked like a George Stock model to him, based on methods of construction. If this is the case, it will likely be marked as such. Once it arrives, I am going to research this and try and figure out if I can determine the creator.

It is missing the pantograph support. I need to see how the existing one is made before I can replace it.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 03 2018 :  07:49:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome locos, everyone! Chops, congrats on obtaining your first Cox locomotive!

Here's my LOTW offering:

Tyco Santa Fe Alco "Super" C630 #1102, seen here operating on RETRO TYCO -- obtained on Ebay for only $21.50. This is only my 2nd Tyco C630, and I am utterly amazed that with a little lube and new traction tires (of course, this makes all Tyco's run well), the "Super" "High-Nosed" C630 is a smooth runner and heavy hauler! Currently, Santa Fe #1102 is pulling 8 cars on the layout....with the ability to haul much more. I'm honored to operate another massive Tyco Alco C630 specifically on RETRO TYCO.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 07 2018 :  01:50:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Browsing late Sunday night, where have all the Posters gone?? Did give
me a chance to study RP's C630, though, which is good. Those
camera angles make this set up look like it could fill the better
part of a blimp hanger- who can tell this is a 4 x 4? RP really has
a way of getting the most in a tight space without making it
look overly crowded. Nice work!

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - May 07 2018 :  09:13:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
frank

quote:
Hello All,

Originally posted by toptrain - May 02 2018 :  07:15:47 AM

Hello Frank,

I have had a couple emails back and fourth between Jim Waterman. His father was the owner of Trackside. He and I both agree that this is definitely earlier than anything produced by Trackside. He offered that it looks like a late 1930's piece. Given the motor, I think I agree. Another friend offered that it looked like a George Stock model to him, based on methods of construction. If this is the case, it will likely be marked as such. Once it arrives, I am going to research this and try and figure out if I can determine the creator.

It is missing the pantograph support. I need to see how the existing one is made before I can replace it.

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - May 02 2018 :  3:30:47 PM

Turned out to be OO scale anyway. I was able to determine the manufacturer though.

Judging by the locations of the flat head screws on the sides, I think it is an 00 Scale Nason made piece from about 1934-40.

http://www.train99.com/00-gauge/nason-p5a-prr-electic-loco-in-oo-gauge-1934-40/

Sean

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 07 2018 :  09:56:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Hello! Major piece of cooldom, from the dawn of HO...
  Previous Topic: LOTW 5-6-18 to 5-12-18 Topic Next Topic: LOTW: April 22nd - April 28th  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000