Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW: April 22nd - April 28th
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW: April 29th to Cinco De Mayo Topic Next Topic: LOTW: April 15th - April 21st  

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - April 22 2018 :  01:38:40 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
I'll kick off the LOTW this week with my newest addition to my fleet. I scored this Rivarossi SM 442 Hiawatha kit two weeks ago. Although compete, it was refinished in the wrong colors. I stripped the Bakelite shells down and refinished them in the correct color scheme for the Hiawatha. I still have the railings and stanchions to strip and reinstall and i have to make the decals but I'm proud of the newest addition to my collection. The Rivarossi Hiawatha was made from 1948 until 1960 and it is a very scarce engine to find. I have been searching for close to 30 years for an affordable example that was complete and not destroyed from zinc pest which these are prone to.

Here she is. I have more pics of the restoration under the Rivarossi section.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 159  ~  Member Since: January 18 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 15 2021 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 22 2018 :  05:20:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Remarkable and unique piece. This to go with the
Bakelite passenger coaches?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11204  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - April 22 2018 :  09:18:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Stunning!!! FMI, what kind of coupler is on the rear?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 512  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 22 2018 :  10:21:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Stunning!!! FMI, what kind of coupler is on the rear?

Originally posted by Brian4321 - April 22 2018 :  09:18:29 AM

looks like a EU type of coupler
a common one found in Europe on HO/OO trains
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14694  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - April 22 2018 :  11:05:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
Thanks. Chops, yes. This is the loco for the cars I have the WTB for. Brian, as buss said, this is a std European coupler.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 159  ~  Member Since: January 18 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 15 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - April 22 2018 :  4:26:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
Coming together nicely. And, yes, most fortunate to find one without the white bloom of zinc death. Would coupler be what is called the NEM style?
“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” — Tom Mueller, SpaceX, 2012
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - April 22 2018 :  5:53:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Pretty fine and nice restoration. How about the drive train; are we going to get to see it run?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - April 22 2018 :  7:30:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
Thanks guys... I haven't serviced it yet. Once I have gone thru it too make sure the previous owner didn't mess anything else up like he did with the tender wheels, I'll let her stretch her legs on my son's layout. I'll post up a video on YouTube when i do it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 159  ~  Member Since: January 18 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 15 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 22 2018 :  8:04:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* That is easier to find in brass or one of the new ones sold recently. I have seen it in Brass at recent train shows.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 22 2018 :  8:15:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is my loco of the week. An Athearn H24-66 Trainmaster I have redone to match one of the second batch of Baldwin H-24-66's received by them. I have removed most of the louvers, the dynamic brake roof fan and its side screens. I relocated the horn on top of where the side screens were removed, and the bell to the long hood end. This is how the second batch looked on the CNJ.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - April 22 2018 :  8:56:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
quote:
* That is easier to find in brass or one of the new ones sold recently. I have seen it in Brass at recent train shows.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - April 22 2018 :  8:04:05 PM

Haha , yes it certainly is... I have the Nickel Plate Products brass Hiawatha and the Fox Valley cars also. The Rivarossi version is definitely larger. I also have a restored original 1936 Hiawatha set in O gauge and the American Hi Rail S gauge Hiawatha loco which is a pretty tough one to get also...

Edited by - bad71burb on April 22 2018 9:00:33 PM

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - April 22 2018 :  8:57:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
quote:
Here is my loco of the week. An Athearn H24-66 Trainmaster I have redone to match one of the second batch of Baldwin H-24-66's received by them. I have removed most of the louvers, the dynamic brake roof fan and its side screens. I relocated the horn on top of where the side screens were removed, and the bell to the long hood end. This is how the second batch looked on the CNJ.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - April 22 2018 :  8:15:47 PM

Nice job on the FM. I have a couple units in C&NW livery. Great running engines

TMC
Switcher

Posted - April 24 2018 :  3:46:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add TMC to Buddylist
Hi all, new guy here.
This is my first post on this forum and to be honest I am more of a lurker than a poster.
I was going through some boxes of old train stuff I found this old friend.
I couldn't resist posting a picture of it as it may bring back memories for some of the old timers here as it did for me?
It is complete except for the worm gear and shaft that connects to the rubber motor coupler.
I have all new parts to fix the side rod and new bearings for the worm shaft. (just don't have the shaft)
One day I'll get it running if I have to make the parts.
Thanks for looking
TMC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5  ~  Member Since: April 08 2018  ~  Last Visit: December 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

TMC
Switcher

Posted - April 24 2018 :  3:55:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add TMC to Buddylist
Sorry I've been all afternoon trying to load up a picture ?
Maybe this time????
TMC

I have my doubts?

http://tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/uploaded/TMC/20180424162209_DSCF2073.JPG

I got a link to work, but I cant get the picture to load up in the post ?
TMC

Edited by - TMC on April 24 2018 5:48:26 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5  ~  Member Since: April 08 2018  ~  Last Visit: December 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - April 24 2018 :  4:43:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist

Pemco diesel...

Mike

Edited by - Mike on April 24 2018 4:45:31 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 24 2018 :  7:52:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

A Bachmann PCC breezes down Piedras (means "rock") Street in downtown
Smeltertown.

Like your Gray and Gold, there Mike. Got one too, itsa champ.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11204  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - April 24 2018 :  8:09:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
I stopped by the flea market on Sunday to see if any new trains had shown up, and sure enough a little box of oddities was set aside just for me. Among them was this sad sight, sold for scrap for $5:

This is the corpse of an Aristocraft/New One 4-4-2 Atlantic. Factory painted for the B&O, it is actually of C&NW prototype and was a clone of a contemporary Tenshodo brass model, but in zamac.

However, this one has lost its tender and suffers from zinc rot of the frame (but only the frame it seems). The frame broke off just behind the cylinders, destroying the valve gear and pilot truck and leaving it with no cylinders or pilot. I can't exactly get a new frame, so in order that its death shall not be in vain, I'm parting it out. I forget who it was here that collects these Aristocraft locos, but hopefully someone here can either give it a new frame and rebuild it, or use its parts to make something else whole. Body and trailing truck are intact and rot-free. I'll be tearing it down and cleaning the parts in the meantime.

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 24 2018 :  8:43:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I believe Top Train has a rather large Aristocraft collection.
  Previous Topic: LOTW: April 29th to Cinco De Mayo Topic Next Topic: LOTW: April 15th - April 21st  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000