Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW: April 15th - April 21st
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW: April 22nd - April 28th Topic Next Topic: LOTW: April 8th - April 14th  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 14 2018 :  11:14:34 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Here's my LOTW offering:

The 2 new "vintage-used" serviced and operating Rock Island RR RF-16A "Sharks," now serving on the RETRO TYCO layout. Both shells are not that great "cosmetically," however, it wouldn't be Tyco without a little bit of "weathering."

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 15 2018 :  02:28:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

A bit of "Joeufomania" this week. The top is the new Joeuf, untested as yet,
and the lower is a somewhat battered Joeuf, my first, that I picked up
in trade. That yellow strip is a piece of old packing tape used to hold
the rather over sized motor motor in its cradle (since removed, I used
Liquid Nails to prop up its aging mount). Chunky and solid, it
follows the pattern of early Tyco and Mantua, when things were built
to last.

One of the prototype D6100's was fitted with a "Deltic" Diesel engine.
What was remarkable about the Deltic, was that the pistons were
arranged on three sides so that when two opposing piston heads
came to top dead center, the compression phase, they ignited
the fuel by extreme pressure (akin to all diesel motors, in terms
of pressure). This arrangement did away with the need for a heavy
steel head.

Advantages of the engine included fuel efficiency and no need for
poppet valves, and such. I have no idea how reliable they were.
The use of marine engines in railroad applications in post war
American locomotive applications, such as by Baldwin (I think)
was a notorious failure.

Edited by - Chops124 on April 15 2018 1:30:44 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 15 2018 :  11:56:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:

The use of marine engines in railroad applications in post war American locomotive applications, such as by Baldwin (I think) was a notorious failure.
Originally posted by Chops124 - April 15 2018 :  02:28:28 AM

You may be thinking of Fairbanks Morse. They had an opposed piston diesel engine that worked very well in submarines but had troubles in locomotives.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 15 2018 :  5:33:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That is precisely the one I am thinking of. It failed miserably in demostrator
tests on different railroads.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 15 2018 :  6:04:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
the problem with opposed piston engines of any type is not so much their reliability, but the fact that any engine work requires the removal of at least one crankshaft. This is an expensive and time consuming process and as a result these locomotives, at least in the USA, were given lower priority for repairs than locomotives like EMD that could be put back in service quickly. Railroads keep figures on maintainence costs for each type of locomotive, and locomotives that are cheaper to repair are preferred.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 482  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 15 2018 :  7:58:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Interesting info, jward. This is the one I was thinking of, it was an Alco using a
surplus post WWII submarine diesel.

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - April 15 2018 :  7:58:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: March 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 15 2018 :  8:20:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Chops, that photo is of the Black Maria demonstrator. there were 3 units, am A-B-A set. I don't believe those used a submarine engine, rather they were the only application of the Alco 241 engine. During WW2, alco was forbidden from building road diesels but was allowed to build this demonstrator set. It was the prototype for the FA1, which used the updated 244 engine. Alco used the demonstrator to work the bugs out of the basic design, but couldn't put it into production until the wartime restrictions were lifted.

As a bit of Alco trivia, the first customer for the FGA1 was the new Gulf, Mobile & Ohio, itself the result of a recent merger. The GM&O Fa1s were unique in that they had the headllight mounted lower on the nose so that the headlight grille didn't interfere with the smooth curve on top of the nose. Subsequent FAs and PAs had the headlight moved higher, resulting in the familiar Alco look that the model versions have.

Note that the black marias have a look similar to the DL109, which Alco was allowed to produce for New Haven during the war, This is just speculation on my part, but I suspect the fact that the DL109s used the same 539 engine as the switchers Alco was allowed to produce during the war may have had something to do with this notable exception to the ban on any builder but EMD producing road diesels during the war.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 482  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 16 2018 :  12:00:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
jward, I am again in your debt for your thoughtful insights.

Mike, you continue to amaze with your beautiful and unique pieces.

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - April 16 2018 :  01:07:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
Are you possibly thinking of the Ingalls engine?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingalls_4-S
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 16 2018 :  09:31:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Mike - April 15 2018 :  7:58:37 PM

me wants! *Grabby Paws!* gimmies!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 16 2018 :  11:32:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Too much coffee and too much time! I need to get a job.
This is the one, but it didn't have an opposed diesel engine.
I do recall that the original article, I read some years back,
in either Trains or Classic Trains, stated that it was a surplus
submarine engine- but then my CRS syndrome kicks in.
Noteworthy in this site, it was scrapped two years after
its introduction, having a big motor fail on the B&A.
http://burningjournal.activeboard.com/t44278687/alco-dl-202-the-black-maria/
And to Microbusss: I saw them first! And how come you
not posting pics?? You got more cool stuffs than all of
us combined!

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 18 2018 :  12:45:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
My LOTW is the Fish Hook and Mussentuchit RR number 82. It's a very old Mantua 0-4-0. Originally it had the die cast tender, but that had zinc pest, so I replaced it with a newer, plastic one. I bought it to cannibalize for parts, but much of it was subtly incompatible with newer engines. For example, the gears did not mesh with newer ones, so the motor can not be swapped with other locomotives without changing the worm on the shaft. The previous owner did some elaborate work on detailing, so except for some changes to electrical pickup, I use the engine as is and have painted and lettered it for the FH&M.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 18 2018 :  08:27:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Athearn Pacific CNJ #810.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - April 21 2018 :  12:53:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
My loco this week is a Mantua Shark B unit. This is a cast metal unit to go with my A unit. Took a
while to find it, but I did. This is a powered unit using a MU-1 motor.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 21 2018 :  10:49:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
*Shark Master drools*
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW: April 22nd - April 28th Topic Next Topic: LOTW: April 8th - April 14th  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000