Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Bachmann Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Bachmann FT locomotive - NEWER DC version Q's?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Question for Bachmann Experts: Vintage Train Set Topic Next Topic: Bachmann High-Railers  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 24 2018 :  10:46:28 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Recently, I grabbed an Ebay auction of a newer version Bachmann DC Santa Fe "Warbonnet" FTA locomotive, for only $17.00 (shipping included,) a bargain I think:

I have 2 questions though, and hopefully someone here can answer them:

First, can the Kadee/knuckle style couplers be easily replaced with Horn-Hook couplers?

Second, was a dummy version of Bachmann's later FT model (with SILVER truck-covers) produced? If so, is it hard to find?

Third, can you take a non-functioning Bachmann FTA locomotive and easily dummy-ize it, like other locomotives?

Thank you all for considering.

-RP

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 25 2018 :  2:29:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nice piece, RP. What in the world is that boxy unit on the
roof, or is that just the camera angle?

I generally recollect converting some of Jimmy's stuff
from Kadee back to X24F (horn hook) without much
trouble. Is there a little Phillips screw on the coupler
plate?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 26 2018 :  08:00:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Chops! I'm not sure if there are screws holding the Kadee couplers in, however, I will be receiving it today, so I'll respond back to this post with my finds.

EMD produced the FT locomotive as their first in the line of "F's" to follow, beginning in 1939. The F stood for "1,400" or really "1,350" horsepower, while T represented the fact that the locomotives were delivered in twins. The first customer of FT's was Santa Fe, who would order a total of 320 units (A & B units combined.)

I believe this explains the "boxy unit" on the roof, credit to Wikipedia- "The roof is a more reliable indication; FTs had four exhaust stacks along the centerline (flanked by boxy structures if dynamic brakes were included). The radiator fans were recessed within the carbody, and arranged in two pairs, one near each end of the locomotive. Later units have the fans grouped together, and their shrouding extended atop the roof."

And, I think I know where Bachmann got their idea to have a set of stepladders missing on the rear of the FT.....look closely at this set of Reading FT's.

NOTE, the A and B units are missing that "extra" set of stepladders usually found on later F's. I'm not sure if this was a selective trait in production, because Santa Fe FT's had an extra set of stepladders while a Great Northern set I found a photo of, did not.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Edited by - RP model railroads on March 26 2018 08:01:26 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 26 2018 :  7:32:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
So, yes, the Santa Fe FTA locomotive arrived today, and it appears to be in even-more excellent condition than what the seller's pictures showed!! And it runs smoothly and quietly on the LTT! Very Satisfied!!

And, I answered my question - here the coupler "holders" which are directly attached to the metal chassis, have a pop-out piece of plastic which slips up beneath the coupler (after the coupler is slid into the opening) and then snaps into place. So, all I had to do was snap-out the plastic pieces and replace the Kadee couplers with horn-hooks....sounds simple.

It wasn't. Finding the right coupler was interesting - my spare Tyco horn-hooks were too long, while other similar couplers didn't have a wide-enough opening to slip into the snap-off plastic piece correctly. Then, I discovered that the perfect horn-hook couplers were located on one of my Athearn "Blue Box" Pennsylvania RR passenger coaches in storage. I simply transferred the horn-hook couplers from a coach to the FTA chassis, and boom, mission accomplished!

Now, my newer Bachmann Santa Fe FTA is functioning superbly on the LTT, with horn-hook couplers!! Stay tuned for next week's LOTW to get a glimpse, once it begins operating on the Ephrata Valley Railroad.

Chops, Thank You for your complement on the FTA, and trying to help out - much appreciated.

Does anyone have any insight into the dummy FTA with Silver-Trucks Q?

Edited by - RP model railroads on March 26 2018 7:33:32 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 27 2018 :  5:28:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Very interesting info the the FT- I never knew any of that. Sounds
like you nailed the problem, look forward to seeing it on the EVR.
The big question, as your collection grows and grows, do you think
expansion is in the future?? Granted, you have very ambitious
life plans, so perhaps you are wise to keep it small and controlled.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 27 2018 :  10:51:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks, Chops - and yes, I just placed the Santa Fe FTA into service on the inner line tonight, and it is running great!! Everyone, stay tuned to the "big reveal" in next week's LOTW post.

In regards to expansion, while I have considered, I think I'm just going to keep the Ephrata Valley Railroad what it is, a 4' x 4' layout that redefines the popular misconception that an HO-scale layout must be 4' x 8' or larger. However, if I ever do get the opportunity to build, or help to build, a big layout in the future, I certainly will take it - forever remembering and hopefully operating the 4' x 4' experiment that launched me into HO-scale model railroading.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 01 2018 :  3:48:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
RP,
Regardning the lack of end stirrups ion the Reading FT units. many FTs were peramently coupled by drawbars in A-B sets, like the Reading units. Since the A and B units were never seperated, there was no need for stirrups where they were connected, since noboyu would be riding there during backup moves. If you look closely, you will notice the B unis have stirrups on the ends with couplers. Look betwwen the two b units and you'll see what i mean.

Some railroads like Santa Fe specified all units have couplers on both ends. These units also had stirrups on both ends of the B units, and the rear of the A units.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 01 2018 :  4:46:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Ah - thanks for the enlightenment!! Great Information!

Previous Topic: Question for Bachmann Experts: Vintage Train Set Topic Next Topic: Bachmann High-Railers  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000