Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 35 ]  [ Total: 35 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 American Flyer (Gilbert)
 Gilbert HO Hudson 4-6-4 Cracked Whitewall
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: American Flyer Factory Tour Topic Next Topic: Performing plastic surgery to save a rare car.  

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - March 11 2018 :  6:49:17 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
One of my Gilbert steam locos has a crack in the white band going around the wheel. See attached photo. I'm guessing this is the whitewall. Is there a way to repair this, can this be bought (I've never seen one) and replaced or do I need to buy a new wheel and replace it? I've searched this forum and also did a google search and did not get any hits. If anyone knows of any repair videos, please pass it along.

Thanks in advance.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 509  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 11 2018 :  7:55:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
how about some kind of body filler?
then paint it white?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - March 13 2018 :  4:58:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
If the rim isn't loose on the driver then I would leave it alone. It can be filled with the same melted plastic technique I used to repair the C1007 hopper.

There is no replacing just the white wall on the HO engines. NOS drivers are out there or junker donor engines can yield some good repair parts. Quartering the drivers is the hardest part. There's a tool to do it but it's around $50 but well worth it if you have a lot to repair
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 159  ~  Member Since: January 18 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 15 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - March 13 2018 :  6:26:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Thanks, guys. Both of you are on the same track, although bad71burb's prior post of melting a piece of same colored plastic and using it to make repairs eliminates the paint job. Lots of great ideas on this forum!!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 509  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - March 13 2018 :  6:54:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
It might be a bit elementary bit it is your cheapest (and easiest) option. Just put a dab of glue or some resin in the crack, sand it gently, and paint it over.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: January 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 14 2018 :  1:37:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Being low tech, I like BNSFIA's idea. I could imagine doing a lot more
damage by taking it apart, and you say it rounds excellent. Why not
a little dab of liquid nails or a drop of super glue? I am of the "it it ain't
broke, don't fix it" mentality.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - March 14 2018 :  10:33:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Thanks, BnsfIA and Chops. Lots of options for me to pick from and all of them well thought out.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 509  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: American Flyer Factory Tour Topic Next Topic: Performing plastic surgery to save a rare car.  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000