Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 American Flyer (Gilbert)
 Performing plastic surgery to save a rare car.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Gilbert HO Hudson 4-6-4 Cracked Whitewall Topic Next Topic: New UNMARKED 33314 Cities Service car. Please read  

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - February 22 2018 :  8:19:58 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
I picked this uncataloged C1007 T&P hopper up some time ago. The car has beautiful graphics but has 2 1/2 broken steps and a huge chunk missing from the end of the car. Given the scarcity of the car I figured it was worth saving...

This is the car before.

Here is the broken end and the donor shell I'll be using to repair this car.

No turning back now...

End from the donor car cut off...

Trimmed down and ready to test fit...

Fit looks good...

Starting glue up.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 159  ~  Member Since: January 18 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 15 2021 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 22 2018 :  10:15:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
It looks like your rehab of this hopper is going to turn out great - keep up the awesome work!!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - February 23 2018 :  11:49:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
After a bit of putty you probably won't even be able to tell a repair was made, great job.
sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
They did a Rock Island volountarily
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - February 23 2018 :  12:23:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
Thanks guys. For putty, I like to disolve the plastic that I'm repairing in a baby food jar with plastic model solvent cement to make a liquid plastic the color of the base material I'm working on. End results are very close to being unnoticeable on bare plastic.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 159  ~  Member Since: January 18 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 15 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - February 23 2018 :  8:55:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
Here it is. Needs a few details worked out but all in all it came out pretty good.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 159  ~  Member Since: January 18 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 15 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 23 2018 :  10:42:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nice save! Is that a Marx?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 23 2018 :  10:59:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I am spellbound - Excellent craftsmanship!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - February 24 2018 :  12:06:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
quote:
...disolve the plastic that I'm repairing in a baby food jar with plastic model solvent cement to make a liquid plastic the color of the base material I'm working on

If I didn't see it, I wouldn't have believed it. The idea of using the existing plastic as glue is innovative. Thanks for sharing.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 509  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - February 24 2018 :  01:52:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Very good save. Looks like the original.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - February 26 2018 :  06:21:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
Thanks guys! Took a few days off to keep the wife happy and got around to finishing this off. Here it is completed as ready to roll again...

Chops, this is a very rare uncataloged Gilbert HO car from 1961 that was part of the Sears set number 30057. The set contains a lot of scarce and desirable cars and commands a premium when found. You and some others may remember the empty set box for it that sold a month or so ago for close to $900. I atrached a pic of the other uncataloged hopper from that set which is also extremely hard to find, the C1006 C&O.

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - February 26 2018 :  06:33:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
...disolve the plastic that I'm repairing in a baby food jar with plastic model solvent cement to make a liquid plastic the color of the base material I'm working on

If I didn't see it, I wouldn't have believed it. The idea of using the existing plastic as glue is innovative. Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by Brian4321 - February 24 2018 :  12:06:09 AM

Brian,
Thank you... Is a technique I borrowed from my old model car building days in the search for a better potty that would actually feather into the existing body. I have been using it for decades... Here's another example of what I've done with it... Gilbert never offered a B unit for their Pikemaster diesels so I've made some myself. Here is one of the Santa Fe B units I made using two broken A unit shells.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 27 2018 :  7:00:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome Work!

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - February 27 2018 :  9:54:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
bad71burb,

I had to download the pics and zoom way in to see exactly where the cuts were. My compliments as this is a VERY nice job. This "B" unit could fool some buyers out there.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 509  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - March 04 2018 :  03:04:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
As someone who often has to make ever more intensive and creative repairs to freight cars, I'm impressed. That melted plastic trick is one thing I would've never thought of, I'll have to remember this for sure! Always worth saving the oddballs, and it looks like you had the skills to do it on one car that would've probably stumped me.
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - March 07 2018 :  7:00:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
quote:
bad71burb,

I had to download the pics and zoom way in to see exactly where the cuts were. My compliments as this is a VERY nice job. This "B" unit could fool some buyers out there.

Originally posted by Brian4321 - February 27 2018 :  9:54:18 PM

Thanks Brian. I made a few of them in Santa Fe and sold them all except for the one shown. I have a couple C&O and a M&StL in the works but my 15000 other projects are getting in the way haha... Everyone who bought one was very happy...

I'm not sure if you've ever checked it out but there's a section on the Gilbert HO website dedicated to my items I've either made or painted. You can check it out at the link below. There's a slideshow with about 45-50 pics.

http://www.gilbertho.org/imitations-reproductions/gilbert_reproductions.htm

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - March 07 2018 :  7:03:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
quote:
As someone who often has to make ever more intensive and creative repairs to freight cars, I'm impressed. That melted plastic trick is one thing I would've never thought of, I'll have to remember this for sure! Always worth saving the oddballs, and it looks like you had the skills to do it on one car that would've probably stumped me.

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - March 04 2018 :  03:04:54 AM

Thanks! It does wonders for repairing broken steps too... Almost seamless when done.
  Previous Topic: Gilbert HO Hudson 4-6-4 Cracked Whitewall Topic Next Topic: New UNMARKED 33314 Cities Service car. Please read  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000