Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 American Flyer (Gilbert)
 New UNMARKED 33314 Cities Service car. Please read
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Performing plastic surgery to save a rare car. Topic Next Topic: Some Gilbert diesels  

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - April 11 2017 :  11:20:27 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
This post is to hopefully help identify the original from the reproduction Gilbert 33314 Cities Service cars. I made about 15 reproductions of this car back in 2001. One of my cars is shown at the bottom. I intentionally made them in a lighter shade of green and changed the graphics for the ARA number to 118 instead of 111. My cars were all engraved on the bottom as a reproduction just to protect the integrity of the original car which is extremely rare, desirable and expensive.

Shown at the top are two pictures of a reproduction that I purchased on eBay on April 6, 2017 for a buy it now of $194.99 + shipping. The car is advertised in the description as a reproduction. The car is not marked in any way as a reproduction. The color is very close to the original, the graphics are scanned from a photograph of an original and are dry transfers. The herald in the center is more bold and even compared to the original and the lettering can be felt when you rub your finger over it on the reproduction where you can't feel it on the original. I messaged the seller after receiving the car and politely suggested that he start marking them as a reproduction to which he simply replied Thank you.

I have attached a photo of an original to compare the two reproduction cars against. Buyer beware. Educate yourself and use caution when buying a high dollar item like this as these cars will eventually leave the hands of the original purchaser and hit the second hand market where there is a good chance they will be mistaken as a real one.

Joe

UNMARKED REPRODUCTION:

ORIGINAL CAR:

MARKED REPRODUCTION:

Edited by - bad71burb on April 11 2017 11:24:08 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 159  ~  Member Since: January 18 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 15 2021 Alert Moderator 

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - June 15 2017 :  06:21:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
Figured I'll try to update this thread when a new car has been listed... The seller is up to number 4 as of this morning.

Car number 1, purchased by me.

Car number 2

Car number 3

Current listing as of 6/15/17
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 159  ~  Member Since: January 18 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 15 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - November 14 2017 :  8:20:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
This forum has proved to be VERY useful to me many times over. As soon as I saw the eBay listing, I recalled this post. This seller is clearly stating that the $194 car is a repaint. There is also an orange tag that although not fully readable, seems to indicate that this is a custom job.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Flyer-Gilbert-33314-Cities-Service-HO-Tank-Car/232560554537?epid=732794726&hash=item3625b07229:g:CqkAAOSwPAxZ64ca

Many thanks to bad71burb and other members for sharing their insight to our great hobby.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - November 15 2017 :  12:48:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
Yes, he finally has marked the car as a reproduction, sorta... We all know how easily a sticker can come off and how quickly a chassis can be swapped. I would be happier with a permanent mark/engraving on the actual tank but this will do. As a side note... This is car number 6 that he has made to my knowledge.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 159  ~  Member Since: January 18 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 15 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Performing plastic surgery to save a rare car. Topic Next Topic: Some Gilbert diesels  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000