Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 26 ]  [ Total: 26 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Introduce yourself.
 Hi- Just sharing my 1957 Sharknose Train Set FYI
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New to the forum! Topic Next Topic: Hello All  

superunderdoggie2
Switcher

Posted - February 18 2018 :  3:38:32 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add superunderdoggie2 to Buddylist
Hi gang,

I'm a big fan of toy trains, but have never moved into collecting. I do collect other toys and have come across trains in my travels. I've just realized that I have what appears to be a rare HO 1957 Sharknose 2231 complete set (locomotive, 2 cars and a caboose) and I wanted to be sure I describe it correctly in my ebay auction I will be listing probably later today.

I'm a noobie, but I wasn't able to find much information on this. I don't see any listing of these cars easily available on the net, but I do see the locomotive around.

I hope you will forgive my self-promotion. If this really is a unique item, I wanted to share it with the community and make sure I describe it correctly.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give....and Hello!

SUD

Edited by - superunderdoggie2 on February 18 2018 3:39:16 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 9  ~  Member Since: February 18 2018  ~  Last Visit: March 01 2018 Alert Moderator 

offtrackthoroughbred
Little Six

Ice Bandit

Posted - February 18 2018 :  9:15:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add offtrackthoroughbred to Buddylist

It looks like a Nice set! Occasionally seen on ebay and then with the engine horn missing half. Does it run? I'd drop word "caboose" and just say 3 passenger cars ( or passenger cars : combine, passenger, and end car ). Include underside photos of each piece to show car couplers, light wiring or lack thereof, and wheel condition. With a nice set, photos showing paint condition is important.
Good health!
ottb
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 125  ~  Member Since: November 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 18 2018 :  10:12:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Totally agree with ottb, that set is AMAZING! *"Shark Master" drools*
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - February 18 2018 :  11:51:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist

Shark week...

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: March 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

superunderdoggie2
Switcher

Posted - February 19 2018 :  2:22:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add superunderdoggie2 to Buddylist
Wow! Awesome pics. Thanks for the kind words. My set is now on Ebay with a starting bid of roughly $7!

Title is: HO SCALE TYCO DIECAST RARE SHARKNOSE 1957 MANTUA 2231 WITH CARS

Thanks all.....SUD
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 9  ~  Member Since: February 18 2018  ~  Last Visit: March 01 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 19 2018 :  3:14:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Wow! Awesome pics. Thanks for the kind words. My set is now on Ebay with a starting bid of roughly $7!

Title is: HO SCALE TYCO DIECAST RARE SHARKNOSE 1957 MANTUA 2231 WITH CARS

Thanks all.....SUD

Originally posted by superunderdoggie2 - February 19 2018 :  2:22:19 PM

OOOOO!! I'll be watching!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - February 19 2018 :  5:11:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Wow that'll fetch a pretty penny! That particular passenger set is rather rare, and any early blue box era Tyco/Mantua piece is highly desirable, it's almost a shame you're selling it!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: January 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

superunderdoggie2
Switcher

Posted - February 19 2018 :  7:05:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add superunderdoggie2 to Buddylist
quote:
Wow that'll fetch a pretty penny! That particular passenger set is rather rare, and any early blue box era Tyco/Mantua piece is highly desirable, it's almost a shame you're selling it!

Originally posted by RealBnsfIA - February 19 2018 :  5:11:02 PM

Thanks! Any rough guess/range of what it should go for? I have no idea. I have kept it for a long time (in a box on the floor....duh!) but I have so much miscellaneous stuff I'm getting rid of a lot of things. Its amazing what we accumulate over time.

Glad to hear its rare. If that's the case then I'll be happy if someone that has been looking for one for a while can get it. Love it when stuff lost to the world is reclaimed by the collecting community!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 9  ~  Member Since: February 18 2018  ~  Last Visit: March 01 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - February 19 2018 :  7:44:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist

[/quote]

Thanks! Any rough guess/range of what it should go for? I have no idea. I have kept it for a long time (in a box on the floor....duh!) but I have so much miscellaneous stuff I'm getting rid of a lot of things. Its amazing what we accumulate over time.

Glad to hear its rare. If that's the case then I'll be happy if someone that has been looking for one for a while can get it. Love it when stuff lost to the world is reclaimed by the collecting community!

Originally posted by superunderdoggie2 - February 19 2018 :  7:05:05 PM

[/quote]
It's hard to guess, but the engine is probably $50-75, passenger cars $20-40 a piece. Of course the value goes up if you have the original boxes, but cleaning them up real nice should do the trick.
Anyway, I would definitely consider placing a reserve on the set (probably around the $70-100 mark), eBay has it's ups and downs.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: January 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 19 2018 :  9:02:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Well if you get two bidders who want that piece for their collection
or the guy who has to have a sweet memory to have and hold, no
telling where it will land. Could be $7 or $700. BNSFIA is probably
on target.

RP is a sophisticated collector of Tyco Shark Nose trains, and has
published a book on the subject of prototype Shark Nose Diesels.

News flash: just checked your posting on eBay. It hasn't been up
a few hours and already you have two bids on it. This is a portent
for a huge bidding war in the final minutes. You may have a winner...
I'm watching, too.

Edited by - Chops124 on February 19 2018 9:06:19 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 19 2018 :  10:11:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thank you, Chops, for the vote of confidence!

Yes! I have written and self-published a book entitled Pennsylvania RR Sharks: A Pictorial. - Here's the link to its Amazon page, for anyone who is interested: https://www.amazon.com/Pennsylvania-Sharks-Mr-Robert-Putnick/dp/1974179451

superunderdoggie2
Switcher

Posted - February 21 2018 :  12:21:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add superunderdoggie2 to Buddylist
Great looking book!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 21 2018 :  10:00:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thank you very much!!! Congratulations on getting so many bids, early, on that Sharknose set.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 24 2018 :  7:05:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Now there are 7 bids on it. Buyers are nervously jostling each other
with mini-bids and I predict in less than two days, when the bidding
closes, it could be a likely collision of hidden max bids and last minute
microbids in an eBay version of pig-pile.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

superunderdoggie2
Switcher

Posted - February 24 2018 :  10:23:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add superunderdoggie2 to Buddylist
Seller dashboard shows almost two dozen watchers, I hope they all bid!!

superunderdoggie2
Switcher

Posted - February 24 2018 :  11:11:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add superunderdoggie2 to Buddylist
Just added new pics to the auction (in the description). Hope everyone sees them. Here you go!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 24 2018 :  11:15:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
NICE additional pictures - Good Luck!!

superunderdoggie2
Switcher

Posted - February 24 2018 :  11:18:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add superunderdoggie2 to Buddylist
Thanks very much! Those horizontal lines on the passenger cars are just sticker residue, I believe. I think it could take it off easily (and maybe I should have) but thought I'd leave it like I received it. Just FYI.

superunderdoggie2
Switcher

Posted - February 25 2018 :  10:21:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add superunderdoggie2 to Buddylist
Looks like we've stalled out at $38!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 25 2018 :  10:51:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Could be, or just the calm before the storm.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 26 2018 :  12:42:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Crested and sold at $53. BNSFIA was right on the money. I would have
thought North of $100. The market is a fickle thing.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 27 2018 :  09:04:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Crested and sold at $53. BNSFIA was right on the money. I would have
thought North of $100. The market is a fickle thing.

Originally posted by Chops124 - February 26 2018 :  12:42:07 PM

me too
Someday I gotta find one
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 27 2018 :  6:56:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Congratulations superunderdoggie2 on a great sale!!

I do hope that I can obtain a functioning metal Tyco Sharknose soon too, at a cheap price.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 27 2018 :  7:24:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Congratulations superunderdoggie2 on a great sale!!

I do hope that I can obtain a functioning metal Tyco Sharknose soon too, at a cheap price.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - February 27 2018 :  6:56:50 PM

yeah!
I wants a Talgo one next since I has the Varney Areotrain hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

superunderdoggie2
Switcher

Posted - March 01 2018 :  6:58:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add superunderdoggie2 to Buddylist
Just glad its going to a good home!

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - March 01 2018 :  7:53:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
Livery looks like something Rock Island might have tried during its red and yellow era.
“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” — Tom Mueller, SpaceX, 2012
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - March 02 2018 :  09:25:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
You never know with eBay anymore. A month or so ago I sold a near perfect Varney Little Joe with fill valve gear for somewhere close to $50. Just a week or so earlier someone else sold one and it topped out over $120 and it needed to be stripped and repainted. It just depends on who is watching and when. I found, if you are going to list items, try to avoid work-day hours, early morning and too late at night for the item to end at. Pay attention to EST vs PST. An item started late at PST will end very late in EST and it limits your potential buyers who like to bid at the end, but not use sniping services.
Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 02 2018 :  9:16:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Good points, Mustang. I will remmber that. What the heck is a sniping
service??
  Previous Topic: New to the forum! Topic Next Topic: Hello All  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000