Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Introduce yourself.
 New to the forum!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Hello Tyco Forums! Topic Next Topic: Hi- Just sharing my 1957 Sharknose Train Set FYI  

Ricky Tanner
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - May 24 2018 :  3:41:58 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Ricky Tanner to Buddylist
I work and travel worldwide as an Quality Engineer in the Oil and Gas industry.The company I work for is based out of Houston,TX. My children are all grown and at the present, I have no grandchildren. I've lived and worked on dozens of large pipeline projects all over the world. Presently I live in Sherwood.

I've been into model trains since the 1960's. My first trains were Lionel O gauge and Marklin HO. I built a N scale layout when I was 11 years old,N scale was still in it's early years and didn't run well. In my early teens, I started finding lots of used Lionel and HO trains at Garage sales,Flea Markets and even Goodwill. The train collecting craze hadn't kicked in yet so trains were really plentiful and cheap. I built a small HO layout (The N scale was sold) and a large 12 x 16 Lionel layout in our basement. When I left home for college,the trains were all packed up. In the early 80's I got back into trains. I mostly just collected Lionel and HO as I didn't have a suitable room for a layout. I did a lot of buying and selling at train shows to supplement my income while raising a family. Eventually, a long term illness and then a work layoff forced me to sell off all the trains and all my efforts and time were then focused on raising 5 children.

After about a 10-15 year hiatus,I returned to the hobby. My kids were grown,I was single and had the means to buy trains. I liked the O scale hi rail equipment that was now available from MTH,Lionel and others. I focused on large steam locomotives. Over time, the collection grew and grew. A small layout - 8 X 12 was constructed in a spare room to at least run some trains. I found the trains to be of poor quality and problematic. At least half of the locos failed out of the box.Three years ago, my fiance' and I purchased our present home. It has a full finished walk out basement. There is a large 20 X 40 game room. Perfect for a large layout. I started to construct shelves to display a lot of the O gauge and tinplate trains. A large 16 X 25 layout was begun but progress was slow due to long work weeks and overseas work.In the meantime, I had been accumulating a lot of nice HO locomotives.I also bought a few large HO collections while traveling. As my interest in the O gauge was waning (Due to bad quality issues and lack of parts/support from MTH and Lionel) I was looking for a change. I had picked up a lot of BLI and Athearn Genesis steam locomotives and found them to be excellent runners with a great reputation for quality and super manufacturer support. In the fall of 2017, I decided to start over and build a large HO layout.

Over the years, I've purchased scores of beautiful HO trains from the 1950's and 60's. Now I have a nice display of those early HO trains in my home office. On display is 1958-68 Mantua (Tyco-Mantua), Athearn, Marx, Penn-Line, Gilbert, Lionel , Varney and Fleischmann.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 40  ~  Member Since: May 23 2018  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator 

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - May 24 2018 :  4:39:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Welcome to the forum. You'll find all kinds of collectors, repair/restore and informational types
here. You might want to post some photos of your collection some time. Sounds like a really
nice collection.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - May 24 2018 :  5:05:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Hi Ricky,

Welcome aboard. There are lots of good ideas on this forum. Feel free to chip in. Looking forward to seeing your HO layout.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 509  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 24 2018 :  6:28:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Welcome to the Tyco Forum!!! Looking forward to your future contributions, and good luck on the construction of your large layout.

-RP

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - May 24 2018 :  7:47:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Welcome!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: January 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - May 25 2018 :  2:46:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Welcome aboard!
Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - May 26 2018 :  09:42:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Sounds like your trains have been around the block a few times. :) Sounds like you got a nice start the 3rd time around with a new home, family situation, and layout. Can't wait to see some of your equipment, I'm mostly interested in vintage HO, although I do have a BLI J engine with sound I run at train shows. Nice intro, being watching for more of your posts, Ricky.

Jerry in Virginia

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - May 26 2018 :  10:58:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
Welcome Ricky... You will enjoy this environment...

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: March 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 27 2018 :  03:18:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
"I found the trains to be of poor quality and problematic. At least half of the locos failed out of the box."

I hear this a LOT about these new brands. Troublesome that the manufacturers go to all this
expense and trouble to make great looking models and then fit them with the
most wretched transmissions, motors, and electrical components known to man. In my small O
collection, I have a 1960 Lionel Scout, a version that I am told was made for a brief use in the
Christmas Season in the display window of Woolworth's. It is clearly of
a cheap construction, but runs as well as it did.

In HO, Bachmann really needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Beautiful models, horrendous side rods,
motors, electricals, and transmissions. Sooner or later the model railroading community will feel the trend.
Most lately they seem to have done a minor upgrade to the PCC cars, with an open frame motor replacing the worthless junk of a pancake motor. Also, the Acela set has been run by me alot,
at wide open throttle,
and it is a reliable performer. I've had two Doodlebugs with failed transmissions. I've witnessed several
of their steam locomotives failing in all the mentioned categories, and do so with proclivity. Rotten.

The Proto 2000 series had a horrific failure rate with their split gears. I've been told they improved, but I
really don't know. Their bad impression has left me quite leery.

We will look forward to seeing your layout progress in your new abode.

Edited by - Chops124 on May 27 2018 03:21:02 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ricky Tanner
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - May 27 2018 :  9:03:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ricky Tanner to Buddylist
quote:
"I found the trains to be of poor quality and problematic. At least half of the locos failed out of the box."

I hear this a LOT about these new brands. Troublesome that the manufacturers go to all this
expense and trouble to make great looking models and then fit them with the
most wretched transmissions, motors, and electrical components known to man. In my small O
collection, I have a 1960 Lionel Scout, a version that I am told was made for a brief use in the
Christmas Season in the display window of Woolworth's. It is clearly of
a cheap construction, but runs as well as it did.

In HO, Bachmann really needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Beautiful models, horrendous side rods,
motors, electricals, and transmissions. Sooner or later the model railroading community will feel the trend.
Most lately they seem to have done a minor upgrade to the PCC cars, with an open frame motor replacing the worthless junk of a pancake motor. Also, the Acela set has been run by me alot,
at wide open throttle,
and it is a reliable performer. I've had two Doodlebugs with failed transmissions. I've witnessed several
of their steam locomotives failing in all the mentioned categories, and do so with proclivity. Rotten.

The Proto 2000 series had a horrific failure rate with their split gears. I've been told they improved, but I
really don't know. Their bad impression has left me quite leery.

We will look forward to seeing your layout progress in your new abode.

Originally posted by Chops124 - May 27 2018 :  03:18:22 AM

I've been happy with my Bachmann/Spectrum purchases. The Lima Berkshires (NKP,PM and C&O) have been decent, reliable runners. The B&O EM-1 is wonderful, maybe Bachmann's best effort so far.

I've bought several of the faulty Proto 2000 locomotives with the cracked axle gears. I've picked up brand new C9 and C10 locomotives for $5-20 each because they don't run. It's really a easy fix and Athearn SD40-2 axle gears are a perfect replacement.

I still have my "original" Lionel Postwar trains including my childhood trains and they all operate perfectly. I plan to display these also.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 40  ~  Member Since: May 23 2018  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ricky Tanner
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - May 28 2018 :  10:22:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ricky Tanner to Buddylist
Here some pix of some of the displays and my train room before and after the changeover to HO.

Marx and Allstate sets. I cannot find pix of the other Marx display.

Some of the Tyco. I need to build many more shelves.

Train room while it was becoming a "catch-all" for tinplate. July 2017

Train room after change over of layout to HO - October 2017
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 40  ~  Member Since: May 23 2018  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - May 29 2018 :  10:27:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Nice collection. I just love that train room(drooooollllll). Nice and big!!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 29 2018 :  6:38:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
WHOA! Nice collections/displays and layout!! Congrats!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 29 2018 :  11:15:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Welcome, Ricky!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - May 30 2018 :  3:30:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
"Train Room." You've no idea how great that sounds. I have a 4x4 plywood with a circle of track lying on a bed in a spare bedroom. What fun it must be to have an entire room to customize (nice sky and clouds), wall racks, etc.. You've a great setup. Thanks for sharing.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 509  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Hello Tyco Forums! Topic Next Topic: Hi- Just sharing my 1957 Sharknose Train Set FYI  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 2.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000