Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Bski1969 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW April 30 - May 6, 2017
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW - May 14 to May 20, 2017 - HMD ! Topic Next Topic: LOTW - April 23 to April 29, 2017  

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 30 2017 :  4:07:31 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
My LOTW is a kind of Frankendockside. As a kid I got an AHM/Rivarossi Dockside. Over the years, it has been modified many ways. At one point it got the shell of a Lifelike Dockside. Another time, it got a more mainline style pilot replacing some broken pilot steps.

Some time ago, I picked up another Rivarossi Dockside with valve gear. It was in rough shape, so I just wanted the valve gear for the Dockside I already had. The Chassis with valve gear is very different from the one without, so I ended up fixing the one with valve gear and adding detail. The appearance of that detailed locomotive, made the old one look coarse and plain by comparison.

For the last couple of days, I've been adding detail to the original Dockside so it would look okay next to the one with valve gear. That would be engine 8 in this picture:

I added a manhole to the fuel bunker for filling it and put a dynamo for the headlights next to it. Improved handrails replace the originals from Lifelike. The new bell has a bracket, and the steam dome now has pop valves and a whistle. Uncoupling levers and railings have been added to the end beams.

There is no valve gear and the main rod has a fake crosshead with no guides nor guide yoke. To downplay these omissions, I blackened the main rods and connecting rods with Neolube (a graphite paint). Here are a front and rear view:

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2356  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2024 Alert Moderator 

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - April 30 2017 :  4:17:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Awesome looking engines!

Here's a Tyco trolley I picked up today at a flea market. It tries to run but can't quite get going. Hopefully it's a simple fix. The shell is in great shape.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3324  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 30 2017 :  5:36:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
only thing that is commonly missing on these is the trolley pole
need to get one since it reminds me of San Francisco's Nob Hill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14694  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - April 30 2017 :  9:10:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist

For this weeks LOTW, I present what I believe is a Mantua engine. Doesn't currently move when powered. But in great shape.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 30 2017 :  10:14:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is a custom painted Athearn GP-7 in Pennsylvania RR by Bev-Bel.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - May 01 2017 :  12:15:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
My LOTW offering this week as a pair of recently purchased Penn Line D2 Mini Diesels...

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - May 01 2017 :  3:37:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
Aughhg man I want one of those to replace my D1 which has a busted belt
sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
They did a Rock Island volountarily
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - May 01 2017 :  4:08:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Pokemonprime - May 01 2017 :  3:37:30 PM

Rubber O rings from your local plumbing supply / ACE Hardware work well as replacements. Just get one that fits snug and not too tight. Aslo work well for lionel, MEW, and Revell belt drives.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - May 01 2017 :  11:25:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Nice locos so far this week!

Mine is a bit of a fluke. Won a couple Spirit of '76 cars on eBay, seller was a local. He dropped 'em off along with a Royal Blue he needed fixed, and this. I needed the boiler front for the 0-8-0 version, but I told him we'd work out a deal for this one too :D

Beautiful shape, she runs good. Maybe needs a bit of oil, but for a 40 yo loco, she's in pretty decent shape.

The Royal Blue... not so much. the frame crumbled when I took it apart :/ Good thing he wants 2 from 3 ;)

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - May 01 2017 :  11:40:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 02 2017 :  01:36:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Pardon me boys...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11204  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - May 02 2017 :  07:00:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Pokemonprime - May 01 2017 :  3:37:30 PM

Rubber O rings from your local plumbing supply / ACE Hardware work well as replacements. Just get one that fits snug and not too tight. Aslo work well for lionel, MEW, and Revell belt drives.

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - May 01 2017 :  4:08:52 PM

It's less finding a replacement belt and more getting the *#*&*%)@*(_%(@_)#(!@)+(#+_%(*@_)&*%_ thing on.

sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
They did a Rock Island volountarily
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW - May 14 to May 20, 2017 - HMD ! Topic Next Topic: LOTW - April 23 to April 29, 2017  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000