Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Too close for comfort?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Brass Ladder Stock Topic Next Topic: Custom Tyco Rio D&RGW Caboose  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 25 2016 :  2:51:00 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

It might appear the chassis frame comes to close to the top of the
street. Too close to call. May end up taking it all up and starting
over...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - May 25 2016 :  6:57:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Yeah, the rails look a bit deeply embedded in that road. Way more than scale for sure. Might need a redo at that.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 25 2016 :  11:18:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
It hung up immediately, seems that to achieve
clearance I will need to widen the gap on the
outside rail. I thought of using a thinner layer
of balsa, but the tie spikes will raise it up anyways
and cause it to catch.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 26 2016 :  6:14:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
So, I called the Oracle, and said, Oracle "I hath
bufagoonleyed (botched) the job. And the
Oracle sayeth, "oh, so you're going to sand
it down?"

DUH.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - May 26 2016 :  8:13:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Ooh, ya think?! LOL
Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - May 26 2016 :  10:23:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
It hung up immediately, seems that to achieve
clearance I will need to widen the gap on the
outside rail. I thought of using a thinner layer
of balsa, but the tie spikes will raise it up anyways
and cause it to catch.

Originally posted by Chops124 - May 25 2016 :  11:18:48 PM

If you're creating a channel for the track to sit in anyway, why not just rip the rails off the ties and glue them directly to the balsa flush with the outer edges of your channel? That may be more work than it's worth with getting the gauge correct but the end results would look good. Just a thought...

What you have so far looks really good BTW!

Edited by - DaCheez on May 26 2016 10:24:39 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - May 26 2016 :  11:21:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:

If you're creating a channel for the track to sit in anyway, why not just rip the rails off the ties and glue them directly to the balsa flush with the outer edges of your channel?
Originally posted by DaCheez - May 26 2016 :  10:23:41 PM

Um, #1, balsa has practically NO rigidity worth mentioning, trying to hold naked rails to a piece of balsa wood would be highly impractical in my opinion. A better way would be to buy some thin plastic sheets of styrene or cobblestone or whatever, and glue that down into the inside track gauge as well as outside of standard sectional track. Creating your own "street" basically. I looked at the Tyco 4.5 inch straight piece of trolley track, and was wondering if it could be reproduced with a 3D printer, it's a fairly simple design. and could be done to a regular 9 inch length to use snap track rail to fit in it, too. Just would have to find out what it would cost per section to do that.

Jerry in VA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - May 27 2016 :  9:31:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
You're probably right about the balsa having no rigidity. If I were to attempt it I'd probably just hot glue the rails to the balsa, which would then be attached to a base of some sort anyway. I would think the rails themselves would provide a certain amount of rigidity but having never tried it I'm just guessing.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - April 16 2021 :  11:06:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Wow. This could have been a tragedy.

Not my video.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - April 16 2021 :  11:15:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Very uncomfortable to watch but thankfully no fatality. Not my video.

By the way I believe that you fixed that problem on your trolley section Jeff.
I did not mean to hijack this thread but the title is appropriate for the two internet videos I posted.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 16 2021 :  7:18:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Those two vids are amazing! That guy jumping off the VIA- I bet he
had some choice cuss words for getting lined on the wrong track,
and that freight going into reverse like that.
  Previous Topic: Brass Ladder Stock Topic Next Topic: Custom Tyco Rio D&RGW Caboose  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000