Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 27 ]  [ Total: 27 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Kitbash - SD38P
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LED passenger car lighting Topic Next Topic: The miniature 3D critter  

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - September 28 2015 :  02:04:27 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
I may as well dig right in.....
I kitbash - a LOT!! This is the start of a BN shop rebuild, an EMD SD38P. The 38P, is basically an old SD35, with some upgraded -2 electronics, and more modern enhancements (modern for 1978 anyway!)
The biggest spotting feature, is the rear cooling fans. Two more powerful 48" fans replace the originals, and the 36" fan between them is simply REMOVED and plated over.
For the model, it simply entails filing down the center small fan, and making a very thin plate, that represents filling in that fan hole!

What I'm starting with, makes this a bit of a challenge....

My FIRST HO Scale locomotive I ever bought (OUTSIDE of a train set!!). It's the OLD Atlas/Roco SD35.... distinguishable by the GODAWFUL fuel tank, with those STUPID screwdriver slots in the sides!!! TRUST ME that will be FIXED!!

I've already started on the LOOONG grind and file and sand procedure....
I'll use an old trick. Filling in those horrible slots with good 'ol Bondo. Yes, there's putty sold at hobby shops - but Bondo from the local AutoZone is WAY cheaper - and better!! It has to withstand outdoor abuse & weather changes. More torture than she will EVER get on my Layout.

Here's the rear view of the body. That little middle fan near the end of the long hood, is what's being removed...
It's a cool feature on only the SD38P... Unlike the production SD/GP38's, the cooling fans are NOT moved closer together, but kept at the same distance apart as the doner SD35!!

BEFORE someone notices - I ONLY placed the motor back on, to not lose it, until I get an empty parts bowl prepared. NEVER grind metal, near the motor, unless you're junking it. The magnets WILL suck in the tiniest bits of metal shavings!!

I'll be getting back to this in a while. I've got 5 other projects on my bench right now. But I WILL get back to her!

Carmine - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer
Pacific Belt RR, in HO Scale, Since 1975!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator 

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - September 28 2015 :  02:20:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
For a little bit of History with this....
The Atlas SD35 - along with a SD24, GP38 and GP40, were introduced in 1975, to a stunned modeling world!!
They were made by Roco in Austria, of fairly good quality. (MINE still ran smoothly, after 37 YEARS!)
They were one of the first PLASTIC HO Scale locomotives to come out with can motors, scale width hoods, near-scale molded handrails, and BODY MOUNTED couplers, in full, scale pilots!

~ YES, AHM, Tyco, Lionel, and Pemco - and their cheap knockoff copies - DID have some of these features in some combination....
But in 1975, Atlas was the first, to have ALL of them - in ONE series of locomotives at the SAME time!
And, they retailed for only $25.00!! (With a "street price" of between 16.95 and $22.95).
This was one of TWO market happenings, that would cause Irv Athearn to rethink how he would make HIS model locomotives!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 28 2015 :  11:55:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Looks like this will be a good photo story Carmine, and a chance to learn something. Keep it comin'. Thanks. Barry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - September 29 2015 :  03:39:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
Thank you Barry!
I will post the entitbuild here, as this is quickly becoming my new favorite forum...
You guys seem to think like I do!!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LED passenger car lighting Topic Next Topic: The miniature 3D critter  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000