Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 LED passenger car lighting
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New Project Topic Next Topic: Kitbash - SD38P  

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - June 20 2015 :  3:50:41 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
I've found that running cars with incandescent lighting eventually overloads my power supply.
You probably have, too.
I just found this cool thing last week at a thrift store. Half price Sunday, again.
22 sections of 3 elements in this strip.
After a ton of work removing and separating them, I put one in my B&O heavyweight coach.
Works great.
My question is, what colour filter would you use to make the lighting correct for this era of car?
As it is, it looks more like a modern subway car.
Opinions, please.
Evan
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator 

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - June 20 2015 :  11:34:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That looks pretty good Evan, other than something that would maybe dim it a bit . . . or maybe the camera just picked up more light. So what do you do? Just cut off a piece and wire it to a battery? I'm ignorant on this.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - June 21 2015 :  08:48:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
That looks pretty good Evan/// So what do you do? Just cut off a piece and wire it to a battery? I'm ignorant on this.

Originally posted by Barry - June 20 2015 :  11:34:23 PM

These new LED strips come in long sections, and they have copper pads spaced every so often along the strip, so you can cut them into lengths of multiples of 3 LEDs usually, then just solder the wiring to those pads. Pretty neat, so you can customize the lengths you need. I've seen a big role of different color LED lights like this at Micro Centre stores, you get like 100 LEDs in a strip for $70. Seems like a lot, but that's less than $1 per LED. Not bad, really.
Far as color? Get some tinted cylophane sheets, put over those strips, and you can tint that bluish white light to whatever color you want.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PGE33
Hudson

Posted - June 21 2015 :  6:50:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
That's what I'm after.
Would the lighting in these cars be more yellow-ish?
1920's-30's incandescents.
I guess I'll have to buy some bulk candies and experiment with the wrappers.
I think I got a steal on the LED's at $5.00.
Oops.
Forgot to reply to you, Barry.
I've made axle wipers from brass shimstock and mounted them on the trucks.
The lights run off track power.
You have to watch the polarity on the strips. The juice only flows one way.
I have the right front wheels connected to the positive pad on the right end,
and the left rear to the neg. pad on the left end.
So you have to have a front marked on your car bottom, or a backwards car won't light up
(unless you go in reverse).
Maybe I should post a picture when I get home.
Evan

Edited by - PGE33 on June 21 2015 7:01:07 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - June 21 2015 :  6:58:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:

I think I got a steal on the LED's at $5.00.
Evan

Originally posted by PGE33 - June 21 2015 :  6:50:00 PM

I'm dialing 9-1-1 now.... Great snag!

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 21 2015 :  7:27:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
That faint blue tint would look good for fluorescent tubes, but I don't really know when those came out. When the clerestory roofed passenger cars were state of the art, I believe the lighting would have been incandescent and therefore would have a bit of a yellowish tint. Perhaps the bulk candies should be butterscotch with yellow wrappers.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PGE33
Hudson

Posted - June 21 2015 :  8:27:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
MMMMM.....Butterscotch.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - June 21 2015 :  9:01:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Ok PG, here is an answer. Leds come in a variety of white colors. The colors are:
Bright White, Cool White and Warm White. The warm white leds offer a light that
is closer to the incandescent light for that period. Since you have the bright white
leds, you might try putting a larger value of resistor in the supply line to limit the
amount of voltage going to the led. If you don't know how to do that, then get
some clear orange type of paint (the kind used in sun catcher kits). The kits and
paints can be bought at most craft stores. Put a small dab of paint on the top of
each led and let it dry. You will have to hit and miss as to how many layers you'll
need to get the color you are looking for.

Edited by - oldtimer52 on June 21 2015 9:03:28 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PGE33
Hudson

Posted - June 21 2015 :  11:58:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
Thanks, Oldtimer.
I know the stuff you're talking about.
I hadn't thought of a clear paint-on coating.
Hopefully it will stick to the silicone covering.
Update to follow.
Evan

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - June 23 2015 :  11:54:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
You're welcome. If the paint doesn't stick, use a very fine sanding stick to lightly
roughen up the led surface. That should cure that problem.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - September 29 2015 :  04:01:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
GREAT FIND!!! [cool]
I don't know how far you want to go with this...
I do DCC installs often. There are two things you can do, to make it even better.
First, a capacitor, soldered across the + and - inputs, will prevent flickering lights on dead spots.

Also, you can now get SMD bridge rectifiers, that solder directly to the led strip,
keeping the power to the lights bi-directional. That will keep your lights working in BOTH directions!!

Carmine - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer
Pacific Belt RR, in HO Scale, Since 1975!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - September 29 2015 :  04:03:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
Here's one of mine.....
the Red arrow points to the bridge rectifier.
I also put a light coat of yellow paint on the LEDs.....

Carmine - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer
Pacific Belt RR, in HO Scale, Since 1975!

Edited by - pacbelt on September 29 2015 04:05:23 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: New Project Topic Next Topic: Kitbash - SD38P  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000