Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 36 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 Black Hooker Chemical Tankers????
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: DO YOU KNOW Topic Next Topic: Pacific ID sought  

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - April 20 2007 :  10:48:17 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist

Guy swears they're stamped Made by Tyco on the bottom, I've never seen these. Can anyone verify they're indeed Tyco?

Thanks
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator 

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - April 20 2007 :  11:37:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
Can't verify TYCO...didn't know about the orange Hooker variation until Tony L. presented it this week.

However to confuse the issue, I do think IHC did a run of 40ft. Chemical Tank Cars in the last half dozens years or so. They did a ton of roadnames and it was likely either the TYCO tooling or the former Pemco tooling. If it was the TYCO tooling, maybe IHC did their Hooker car in black? Anybody have one of those to confirm?

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - April 20 2007 :  11:38:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
Also thought maybe it might be the old Pemco...but don't theirs was orange...

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - April 20 2007 :  12:13:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
I'm going to say that the graphics on the black ones look IDENTICAL to the 2nd. revision orange ones - prehaps right down to the stylized "h" logo, that has an odd, improper curve to it.

Also, Tyco did not have any data or other markings on their Hooker cars, and indeed they are rather plain - just the logo and a slogan - and those black ones seem to share the same, spartan treatment.

So I'd say they're definitely worth taking a chance on. That's how I got the Alcan center flow. In fact, I would do so myself unless by virtue of you finding them first, you call dibs. In which case I would dare beg, if you got these and could part with one of them, I would love to have a black one. *EDIT* Bah, missed it by half an hour!

That's a sharp looking car, Tyco or not. I'd been wondering if a black NH boxcar (50') exists but never thought to look for a Hooker variant like that... [B)]

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on April 20 2007 12:30:31 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - April 20 2007 :  1:52:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
quote:
In fact, I would do so myself unless by virtue of you finding them first, you call dibs. In which case I would dare beg, if you got these and could part with one of them, I would love to have a black one. *EDIT* Bah, missed it by half an hour!

That's a sharp looking car, Tyco or not. I'd been wondering if a black NH boxcar (50') exists but never thought to look for a Hooker variant like that... [B)]

Originally posted by GoingInCirclez - April 20 2007 :  12:13:19 PM

[:D]

I'd be pleased with good pics of it myself...if it is in fact a legit TYCO.

Also, did NYC score that Wilson's Corn King "Blue Ribbon" variant? Would like pics of it, when and if you get it too.

[;)]

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - April 26 2007 :  8:35:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
The Seller sent me a couple of pics before mailing it out. I asked the buyer about buying one or both, or possibly some pics also. He/she hasn't responded.

I wish these were higher resolution, I'm thinking someone painted them black and did a decal job on them.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - April 27 2007 :  06:00:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
I did find my listing of the IHC 40ft. Chemical Tank Cars and Hooker is among the roadnames produced...

Sadly, I don't have an example of the Hooker tanker to confirm its paint.

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - April 29 2007 :  3:27:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
The BUYER got back to me. He hasn't received the items yet but is willing to give info and negotiate a deal possibly. I hope he has a good camera!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - April 30 2007 :  4:46:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Heh, I had the same thought about making decals. They'd b a cinch and I'd do it now if I wasn't so far behind on promises. An EASY counterfeit job,

That black paint does look suspiciously glossy...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - May 06 2007 :  9:38:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
You know, the more I look at the picture, the more it seems like there IS a rectangular outline around the Hooker logo on the left side.

Not that it matters, it's still a sharp car. I have a decal set almost done and should be able to bang one of these out this week,

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - May 07 2007 :  12:09:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
Todd...did you buy the black Hooker tank car? Just eager to have it confirmed...

[}:)]

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - May 10 2007 :  10:43:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Call it, Proof of Concept:

So.... whatcha's guys think...? [;)]

mwuhahaha

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on May 10 2007 10:43:38 PM

obtrey
Little Six

Malfunction Junction

Posted - May 11 2007 :  08:55:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add obtrey to Buddylist
Was that SKI at one time a WESSON ?

In Malfunction Junction:
When all else fails get a bigger hammer.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 182  ~  Member Since: January 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 05 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - May 11 2007 :  11:13:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
Cheater! But it does look good!

[;)]

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource

obtrey
Little Six

Malfunction Junction

Posted - May 11 2007 :  11:21:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add obtrey to Buddylist
Sho Nuff, it do, it do, it twuley doo
In Malfunction Junction:
When all else fails get a bigger hammer.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 182  ~  Member Since: January 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 05 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - May 11 2007 :  12:00:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
quote:
Cheater! But it does look good!

LOL. Actually, you can tell mine is fake because the "H" logo is straight and not all curvy skewed like Tyco's. But yeah... the text did turn out well didn't it?

Obtrey - Yes indeed! SKI is a southeastern delight, best compared to Mountain Dew on Crack. They used to bottle it in my wife's hometown. The color scheme of the cans when we met was very much like what I turned that tanker into - white can, blue and green stripes, orange text.

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on May 11 2007 9:20:52 PM

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - May 12 2007 :  12:36:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
quote:
Call it, Proof of Concept:

So.... whatcha's guys think...? [;)]

mwuhahaha
Originally posted by GoingInCirclez - May 11 2007 :  03:43:11 AM

The black Hooker...
Nice paint job, whoever painted it. Where's the hand railing?
Also, the platform looks more weathered (dusty)than the bottom walkways.
The black also looks a bit, uh... orange-peel?... painted but not baked on.
I agree on the shiny glossy coat... too shiney.
Now, that all said, I'm sure there's TYCO stamped on the bottom. But that isn't a TYCO paint job.

Oh, duh... the larger clearer pic' is the one you did...
I don't understand about the crooked "h" there.

Anyway... didja get it yet?

ZZzz

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - August 20 2007 :  12:45:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Mr. Tyco recently confirmed for me that, as I suspected, the black hooker tanker IS a legit Tyco run - albeit very hard to come by.

They were made as part of a limited run of promo kits for actual Hooker Chemical dealers. I know the box was discussed elsewhere... a nonstandard box (like a trading card box) with a picture of tankers and a Hooker swithcher. He does not know if the switcher was made though, he has never seen one.

ABE
Switcher

Posted - September 01 2007 :  5:32:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ABE to Buddylist
The Black Hooker Tank car is Tyco Factory Car, not sure as to what yr they were made but I got a pair of them that came out of the Mantua plant when it closed down from a Person who worked there, they had a display cabinet with quite a few early Mantua/Tyco cars, engines & etc & also some special run items such as the Black Hooker Tank car, Mike was lucky enought to get quite a few of the older cars & engines plus boxes of parts, Tyco made many uncataloged cars & engines for customers over the yrs dating back to the late 50's & on up thru the yrs that we as Tyco Collectors are aware & I am sure some we just dont know about, there are about 3-4 serious Tyco Collectors that I know of who all have uncataloged items & all know quite a lot of the Tyco/Mantua History & It would be so nice for them to all get toghether with there rare items & knowledge & have put into a Tyco List with yrs & etc, I have a few old Tyco/Mantua cars that are a different color than the rest, it would be nice for a list to be avaiable for the Tyco Collector,........................Abe
Abe Schwartz
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 50  ~  Member Since: May 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: DO YOU KNOW Topic Next Topic: Pacific ID sought  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000