Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW March 29 - April 4, 2015
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW May 10 - 16, 2015 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - May 3 to May 9, 2015  

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 29 2015 :  10:59:05 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Hey, my LOTW for this week is a Playart 0-4-0 I got at my grandparent's house a week ago.I ended up giving this cute little loco to my little brother after cleaning it and fixing it up.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator 

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - March 29 2015 :  12:56:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
This one is not mine, but I thought it unique enough to post.
Hag "Rote Pfiel" (Red Arrow) 3-rail AC
1955 Swiss made. Some connection to Maerklin, I'm told.
Sadl;y, it's missing parts of the driveline.
Other than some auction photos, very little info. available, particularly
of the innards.
Evan
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 29 2015 :  2:29:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Hey, my LOTW for this week is a Playart 0-4-0 I got at my grandparent's house a week ago.
Originally posted by kovacste000 - March 29 2015 :  10:59:05 AM

Stephen,

That engine's shell looks to be a dead ringer for the Mantua Booster 0-4-0T. This raises a couple of questions in my mind:

First, is the shell die cast metal like the Mantua?
Second, is the frame some sort of slippery plastic like Delrin?

The reason I ask, is that I saw an engine at a train show that had a Mantua Booster type shell and a plastic chassis and was puzzled about its pedigree.

Thanks,
Don

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 29 2015 :  2:31:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Pfeil indeed! What a Swiss Hottie! Love that old school
European. She's got the look!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PGE33
Hudson

Posted - March 29 2015 :  2:36:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
A Swiss friend in our group said he "lusted" after that model as a boy.
Still a hottie, apparently.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - March 29 2015 :  5:48:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
My LOTW is this Athearn GP9 with the MKT road name. It need a little TLC, namely horns and handrails. I will leave it with the sun faded paint.

Edited by - thetramp on March 29 2015 5:49:46 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 338  ~  Member Since: February 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 29 2015 :  5:49:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Hey, my LOTW for this week is a Playart 0-4-0 I got at my grandparent's house a week ago.

Stephen,

That engine's shell looks to be a dead ringer for the Mantua Booster 0-4-0T. This raises a couple of questions in my mind:

Second, is the frame some sort of slippery plastic like Delrin?

The reason I ask, is that I saw an engine at a train show that had a Mantua Booster type shell and a plastic chassis and was puzzled about its pedigree.

Thanks,
Don

Originally posted by scsshaggy - March 29 2015 :  2:29:44 PM

Since I had a Mantua booster (and I have another one) that came with it, I compared them. They're identical, more similar than Model Power or anybody else's 0-4-0.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - March 29 2015 :  8:16:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

Stephen,

Don

Originally posted by scsshaggy - March 29 2015 :  2:29:44 PM

Since I had a Mantua booster (and I have another one) that came with it, I compared them. They're identical, more similar than Model Power or anybody else's 0-4-0.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - March 29 2015 :  5:49:31 PM

AFAIK, Playart never did any metal engines ( Kovacste000 didnt' answer that part ), as I have a number of them, and they're all plastic. I know Playart borrowed from Tyco, as their 3-axle long tanker is a Tyco minus the name,I compared them, the mold lines are all exact except the name location. But I don't think they were early enough to copy Mantua engines. Just my opinion. Although, to be fair, I do NOT have this particular Playart engine, it could be their earliest one, with a metal shell as well. I've just never seen a Playart steam engine in all metal before.

Jerry in VA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
Edited by - AMC_Gremlin_GT on March 29 2015 8:18:14 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - March 29 2015 :  8:23:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
My contribution this week is dumbed down, a non-powered A dummy Fairbanks Morse in BN colors. This will probably end up in my BN passenger consist as a trailer with a powered A and a B dummy also.

Jerry in VA

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rbturner
Big Six

RBT

Posted - March 29 2015 :  8:46:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add rbturner to Buddylist

The CSX Heritage Unit.

Randy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 358  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - March 29 2015 :  8:52:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
Great looking loco Randy!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 338  ~  Member Since: February 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 29 2015 :  8:59:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Great looking loco Randy!!

Originally posted by thetramp - March 29 2015 :  8:52:50 PM

I'll second that! Impressive and very believable.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mph
Switcher

SP1Avatar

Posted - March 29 2015 :  9:12:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mph to Buddylist
My loco for this week is a MDC Climax acquired last week from a LHS. Ran Beautifully for about 15 minutes, now it's back at the LHS for them to get it right. I can't wait to get it back as I think it will be the perfect loco for an MDC old-time car consist I am working on.

Mark
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 39  ~  Member Since: January 19 2013  ~  Last Visit: February 15 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 29 2015 :  9:43:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Love this heritage unit!
quote:

The CSX Heritage Unit.

Originally posted by rbturner - March 29 2015 :  8:46:47 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 29 2015 :  10:34:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
My loco for this week is a MDC Climax acquired last week from a LHS. Ran Beautifully for about 15 minutes, now it's back at the LHS for them to get it right. I can't wait to get it back as I think it will be the perfect loco for an MDC old-time car consist I am working on.

Originally posted by mph - March 29 2015 :  9:12:06 PM

I heard these things weren't that great runners, though, so it's not shocking your's had issues. Hope it works great afterwards, though because it looks sweet.

-Steve

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 30 2015 :  2:47:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

A couple of classics. By the way, the round house is quite the piece.
I've had a couple, and they still run great ten or more years later.
Sometimes the angle between the drive shaft and the big running gear
gets a little tight, or loose, and adjusting the shim of the motor makes
all well in a matter of minutes.

Edited by - Chops124 on March 30 2015 4:21:55 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 30 2015 :  4:53:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

A couple of classics. By the way, the round house is quite the piece.
I've had a couple, and they still run great ten or more years later.
Sometimes the angle between the drive shaft and the big running gear
gets a little tight, or loose, and adjusting the shim of the motor makes

Originally posted by Chops124 - March 30 2015 :  2:47:14 PM

So that's why they didn't enjoy a great reputation. Although honestly, I've never seen one in person running on a layout.

-Steve

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - March 30 2015 :  10:29:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
. By the way, the round house is quite the piece.
ISometimes..... adjusting the shim of the motor makes

So that's why they didn't enjoy a great reputation. Although honestly, I've never seen one in person running on a layout.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - March 30 2015 :  4:53:32 PM

They are VERY low geared, they don't move very quickly on a layout due to that, you'd have a line of locomotives behind you if you tried to run it around a loop. :) This is the same roundhouse chassis that is under the track cleaner boxcab. The universals can bind up due to the extremely short wheelbase, and they are S-L-O-W. Fun for switching operations, but not so much mainline running. But once they're tuned well, they run decently. Don't race a Hustler with it, though!

Jerry

skimpy tone 44
Switcher

AustraliaSouthernAvatar

Posted - March 31 2015 :  07:25:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add skimpy tone 44 to Buddylist
My contribution to LOTW is a Tyco Australian Victorian railways F9A bought at a swapmeet last weekend. Looks like very early 1970s with MU2 motor and loco in good condition. Tony
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 34  ~  Member Since: October 30 2009  ~  Last Visit: September 30 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 31 2015 :  09:21:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

They are VERY low geared, they don't move very quickly on a layout due to that, you'd have a line of locomotives behind you if you tried to run it around a loop. :) This is the same roundhouse chassis that is under the track cleaner boxcab. The universals can bind up due to the extremely short wheelbase, and they are S-L-O-W. Fun for switching operations, but not so much mainline running. But once they're tuned well, they run decently. Don't race a Hustler with it, though!

Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - March 30 2015 :  10:29:37 PM

Switching operations, hmmm. I'm in the process of building one, they might actually work for that.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on March 31 2015 09:22:12 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 31 2015 :  11:55:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - March 30 2015 :  10:29:37 PM

Sorry to double dip, but what the heck, these days we kinda need to refocus on trains:
Here's one little survivor that went from N de M to B&M. I used to double head this one
on an N de M ore train using one DCC decoder for both units. I called this permanently
coupled unit: Master Blaster (after "Thunderdome"). After all the abuse and repainting, she
still choogles on down the line quite nicely. B&M paint scheme quite fictional, far as I
know.

Edited by - Chops124 on March 31 2015 11:57:04 AM

mph
Switcher

SP1Avatar

Posted - March 31 2015 :  11:14:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mph to Buddylist
Thanks for all the info on the Roundhouse Climax. When it was running it did run slow, but smooth. The LHS guy was giving me the sales job that the guy who built it was a local expert on these so I expected a bit more from this unit. We'll see if the LHS stands behind their product, even used. So far he is referring to it as warranty work which is a good start.

Stephen - as slow as it runs you might get bored waiting on it even on a switching layout.

Mark
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 39  ~  Member Since: January 19 2013  ~  Last Visit: February 15 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 31 2015 :  11:41:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
My LOTW is this little critter. Westinghouse centercab Tyco/Mantua switcher.I was always seeing these at shows commanding pretty fair prices in the $25.00 range. When I found one for 5 bucks i nabbed it. It was filthy as you can see in the before photos with the Alco C-415 that I staged as a comparison for size. After a good cleanup and soldering some broken connections I was amazed at how good this thing runs. It crawls smooth and quiet and will haul a lengthy cut of cars, now I get the pricing!. I added the Illinois Terminal logos just because I had some on hand. I know , I know, IT units were lime green but IT did have many traction cars that were orange. My story is that this was a shop switcher at a carbarn during the traction orange era and that a diesel was needed to haul traction cars around the shop without the need for overhead wire.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

skimpy tone 44
Switcher

AustraliaSouthernAvatar

Posted - April 01 2015 :  02:49:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add skimpy tone 44 to Buddylist
Great little loco and buy Metalsmith . I never see these at shows .Have to keep a lookout for them. Tony
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 34  ~  Member Since: October 30 2009  ~  Last Visit: September 30 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - April 01 2015 :  11:04:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Someone did some pretty fine work here.

quote:

Originally posted by mph - March 29 2015 :  9:12:06 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 01 2015 :  1:30:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Hogwarts Express loco by Bachmann in 2001

this is missing the sign that goes on the front

Any way to put weights on the front truck?
It seems to derail often
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - April 01 2015 :  7:45:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
My LOTW is this little critter. Westinghouse centercab Tyco/Mantua switcher.I was always seeing these at shows commanding pretty fair prices in the $25.00 range. When I found one for 5 bucks i nabbed it. It was filthy as you can see in the before photos with the Alco C-415 that I staged as a comparison for size. After a good cleanup and soldering some broken connections I was amazed at how good this thing runs. It crawls smooth and quiet and will haul a lengthy cut of cars, now I get the pricing!. I added the Illinois Terminal logos just because I had some on hand. I know , I know, IT units were lime green but IT did have many traction cars that were orange. My story is that this was a shop switcher at a carbarn during the traction orange era and that a diesel was needed to haul traction cars around the shop without the need for overhead wire.

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - March 31 2015 :  11:41:20 PM

Nice deal you got, and a lovely little Plymouth. Gotta fix mine. I have 3 extra mechanisms for this if anyone has shells they'd like to power.

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - April 02 2015 :  12:59:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
These are some good looking and nice running locos.
quote:

It seems to derail often

Originally posted by microbusss - April 01 2015 :  1:30:45 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 02 2015 :  01:02:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That Plymouth is to die for. That is a honey.

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 02 2015 :  09:15:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

It seems to derail often

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - April 02 2015 :  12:59:33 AM

Yeah, man. I love these locos.

-Steve

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - April 03 2015 :  12:18:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Might just check the wheel gauge with an NMRA standards plate first, it could just be that simple. I have two of these locos and I often doublehead them and have never had trouble derailing the front trucks even on my lousy sectional track with 22 radius curves and no. 4 turnouts.
quote:
quote:
quote:

It seems to derail often

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - April 02 2015 :  12:59:33 AM

Yeah, man. I love these locos.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - April 02 2015 :  09:15:58 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 03 2015 :  07:35:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
or the EZ track had too many gaps
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PGE33
Hudson

Posted - April 03 2015 :  4:15:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
Does the front truck normally require a spring to keep it firmly on the track?
This could be the problem.
Just an idea.
Evan

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 03 2015 :  4:40:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
or the EZ track had too many gaps

Originally posted by microbusss - April 03 2015 :  07:35:05 AM

Is it missing a spring perhaps? On one chessy Model Power unit I had to fit a small chunk
of lead to make it track right.

dmoney2015
Switcher

devinbaker

Posted - May 17 2015 :  4:26:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add dmoney2015 to Buddylist
quote:
My contribution this week is dumbed down, a non-powered A dummy Fairbanks Morse in BN colors. This will probably end up in my BN passenger consist as a trailer with a powered A and a B dummy also.

Jerry in VA

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - March 29 2015 :  8:23:59 PM

[/quote] that's like the one I want to get

devin "give me the ugly steam none of that streamlined stuff"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: February 13 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW May 10 - 16, 2015 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - May 3 to May 9, 2015  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000