Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 5 ]  [ Total: 6 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW - Mar 15 - 21 2015
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW April 5 - April 11, 2015 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - Mar 22 to Mar 28, 2015  

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - March 15 2015 :  09:27:39 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
Picked this one up on Wed. at the Railhead.
Hobbytown RS-3.
I had to do a little tweak on the drive truck, as the base plate was slightly bowed.
This made the gears slip apart enough to spin free.
I put a bit of shim stock in, and good to go.
Still need to clean up a little more flash on the railings, etc.
I'd like to find a front power truck kit for it.
Note the teeny wheels!

Evan
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator 

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - March 15 2015 :  09:42:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
Really kool loco .. I'm really beginning to appreciate this older stuff.

~ Dave

~ Dave

They're ALL toys

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 547  ~  Member Since: December 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - March 15 2015 :  09:51:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
There's just something about them, isn't there?
Is it the heft of the metal shell? Finely machined gears?
This one appears to have little road time, probably due to the gear issue.
Maybe no hours since it was new! Sure runs sweetly.

Edited by - PGE33 on March 15 2015 09:52:36 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - March 15 2015 :  10:02:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Nice old RS-3 unit! Love those all-metal engines, they just have a satisfying heft to them that's hard to beat.

My LOTW is a traction model, found at the annapolis, MD Armory show on Saturday. What this IS, I think, is the model made before Mantua purchased the company and rights to produce Trolleys, and changed them. This one has dual working trolley polls. I think. WIll have to take it apart to find out. But the shell is a dead ringer for a Tyco trolley shell, and screwed together just like it. So I'm pretty sure this was the model made before Mantua bought it and changed it. Paid about 7.50 for it.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 15 2015 :  11:17:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
GM Aerotrain loco by Varney

yup abusing pics of this
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 15 2015 :  12:56:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
So many good LOTW's this week.Mine is a Mantua Tyco shark from 1959 - 1961. I know that since it has Pennsylvania red on the base (it's been horribly custom painted) and it was only produced in that livery at that time. On top of that, on the roof, it has slots for the horn. I got it at a recent train show with a caboose for $15.It runs, yes, but very slowly and kinda choppily. I opened it up and the wheels and motor itself are filthy as heck.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - March 15 2015 :  1:48:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
My LOTW is this Power Torque motored Switcher just in from an eBay win, complete with dust and cobwebs. This lil' switcher will likely donate her wheels & axles to my PT study.

~ Dave

They're ALL toys

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 547  ~  Member Since: December 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 15 2015 :  3:13:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
thats the one from Rambo set I believe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 15 2015 :  6:44:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
Nice old RS-3 unit! Love those all-metal engines, they just have a satisfying heft to them that's hard to beat.

My LOTW is a traction model, found at the annapolis, MD Armory show on Saturday. What this IS, I think, is the model made before Mantua purchased the company and rights to produce Trolleys, and changed them. This one has dual working trolley polls. I think. WIll have to take it apart to find out. But the shell is a dead ringer for a Tyco trolley shell, and screwed together just like it. So I'm pretty sure this was the model made before Mantua bought it and changed it. Paid about 7.50 for it.

Jerry

/tyco/forum/uploaded/amc_gremlin_gt/20150315100133_Trolley_preMantua.JPG

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - March 15 2015 :  10:02:09 AM

Hey Jerry. That trolley looks identical to the one I bought and posted a few months back. The opinion of others seemed to be that it was a Japanese knock-off of the Tyco trolley of the '50's. I don't actually have a Tyco trolley to compare so can't say for sure. I believe it was the one sold by a company going by the name "The HO Train Co."

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - March 15 2015 :  7:13:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:

Hey Jerry. That trolley looks identical to the one I bought and posted a few months back. The opinion of others seemed to be that it was a Japanese knock-off of the Tyco trolley of the '50's. I don't actually have a Tyco trolley to compare so can't say for sure. I believe it was the one sold by a company going by the name "The HO Train Co."

Originally posted by DaCheez - March 15 2015 :  6:44:04 PM

Here's the site I posted before, but here's the thing - yes, they were made in Japan, BUT it wasn't a knock-off of Mantua/Tyco, because they hadn't started producing them yet - Mantua bought the company and used this body for their base Trolley unit.

https://traintalkbloggers.wordpress.com/tag/mantua-trolley/

As you can see, it's the exact one I have too, made by the HO Trolley Co. as you said -but it is the company Mantua bought. So they weren't competing, Mantua bought them up and used their mold to create theirs. At least that's what I read from this website. Truth? Don't know, I haven't researched it, and this guy has, so I'll give it the benefit of any doubt Either way, we have some early/rare trolleys to admire. I took mine to work today, and took it apart. The poles aren't wired to use (yet). The motor is totally dead, I mean DEAD - I put power right to the brushes and nothing. Not even a twitch. Cleaned them up, and the commutator pads, still nothing. The solder joints on the armature wiring are highly corroded, so may be bad or open now. Will try to diagnose it and see if I can find the problem. But for now I have a shelf queen.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 15 2015 :  7:31:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
I took mine to work today, and took it apart. The poles aren't wired to use (yet). The motor is totally dead, I mean DEAD - I put power right to the brushes and nothing. Not even a twitch. Cleaned them up, and the commutator pads, still nothing. The solder joints on the armature wiring are highly corroded, so may be bad or open now. Will try to diagnose it and see if I can find the problem. But for now I have a shelf queen.

If you get your trolley going I'll be interested to hear how it runs. Mine bounces comically along the rails, granted I haven't done much beyond polishing the wheels.

Edited by - DaCheez on March 15 2015 10:49:37 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rbturner
Big Six

RBT

Posted - March 15 2015 :  8:37:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add rbturner to Buddylist

Here's a Rivarossi 0-8-0 that I just fixed up.

Randy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 358  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - March 15 2015 :  9:24:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Nice trolleys. Randy, looks like nice work on that locomotive.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 16 2015 :  7:20:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
custom painted f3 unknown railroad or personnel rr,i like it though,both for livery and price,powered by athearn
,forgot i had it,came with original motor etc ,ken

Edited by - catfordken on March 16 2015 7:32:21 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 16 2015 :  7:41:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
That is a beautiful A/B set Ken. Love the detail and paint.
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 17 2015 :  10:30:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Newest power for the LC&P. This was a Globe Models dummy that I came across as an undecorated unit in plain silver. A few decal stripes and viola, a LC&P F-7a
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rbturner
Big Six

RBT

Posted - March 17 2015 :  4:53:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add rbturner to Buddylist
Nice Metalsmith; but I would sure like to see a picture of the trailing unit too.
Randy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 358  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 17 2015 :  6:27:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Newest power for the LC&P. This was a Globe Models dummy that I came across as an undecorated unit in plain silver. A few decal stripes and viola, a LC&P F-7a

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - March 17 2015 :  10:30:09 AM

Very nice custom work, I must admit. Unlike my LOTW's paint job.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - March 17 2015 :  8:01:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
I took mine to work today, and took it apart. The poles aren't wired to use (yet). The motor is totally dead, I mean DEAD - I put power right to the brushes and nothing. Not even a twitch. Cleaned them up, and the commutator pads, still nothing. The solder joints on the armature wiring are highly corroded, so may be bad or open now. Will try to diagnose it and see if I can find the problem. But for now I have a shelf queen.

If you get your trolley going I'll be interested to hear how it runs. Mine bounces comically along the rails, granted I haven't done much beyond polishing the wheels.

Originally posted by DaCheez - March 15 2015 :  7:31:00 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a video of that. I'm interested in what the bouncing is all about.

~ Dave

~ Dave

They're ALL toys

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 17 2015 :  10:43:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

A visit to Major Bill's layout turned up this German Cutie. More on Loose Ends.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brassman
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - March 30 2015 :  12:46:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brassman to Buddylist
quote:
Picked this one up on Wed. at the Railhead.
Hobbytown RS-3.
I had to do a little tweak on the drive truck, as the base plate was slightly bowed.
This made the gears slip apart enough to spin free.
I put a bit of shim stock in, and good to go.
Still need to clean up a little more flash on the railings, etc.
I'd like to find a front power truck kit for it.
Note the teeny wheels!

Evan

Originally posted by PGE33 - March 15 2015 :  09:27:39 AM

Evan. check the half-bearing by the gears, there is a lip on the casting that would raise the bearing. It's there to keep the bearing in place, it seems too close to the gears. I have a four-wheel power truck, on a small frame, and driveshafts. I am assembling PA1 A and B units, need six wheel parts, and more of those half-bearings. PM me, we can collaborate on these locos.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11  ~  Member Since: March 29 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 04 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW April 5 - April 11, 2015 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - Mar 22 to Mar 28, 2015  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000