Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 48 ]  [ Total: 48 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Athearn Hustler and Tyco PT remotors...
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bowser Trolley repair / upgrade Topic Next Topic: Mantua Tender Picking Up from Both Rails  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 09 2015 :  9:45:56 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I got in some electric motors I'd bought off Ebay, so decided to trial-fit them tonight when I got home. Dug out my Hustler chassis I already had put aside, but had to find a PT motor to use, finally found one. Got busy, and working on the Hustler first, I put some foam tape on the chassis, mounted a Matsumi motor, and noticed that the dual shafts were a bit short, don't think the rubber bands will stay on. I broke out the original motor I was going to use anyway, a NWSL dual-shaft motor, and mounted it, it fits nicely, and the shafts are long enough to keep the bands on. I may can still use the Matsumi motors, if I put some end caps on the shafts to hold the bands on. Here's some pics of what it looks like.

I intend to DCC this chassis, and it will have a multi-role function. I have a ghost caboose and tender I want to run ( previously built on an AHM chassis ), and also a Batmobile car that Hotwheels sold a year ago, a 1940's version, that looks a bit like the old Atlas Turbo Express , also built on an Athearn Hustler chassis in the 60's. I need to locate that Batmobile now... So, I'll consider the Hustler conversion a success, even though it's not wired up now. I'm sure it'll work.
Next up was my Tyco remotor project, I've heard some guys working with CD ROM motors, these came from China, while physically the same size, they're by different makers, one is a Mabuchi, the other an Aslong, but both have RF300 on them, so they are the same model. The voltage rating is 1.5 to 6 volts, a bit low, but I also wanted to create a battery-powered TYco motor, and thought these might do it. I noticed that the armature shaft on the Tyco PT is less than 2mm, however, so the original gear won't work. I thought it was a 2mm shaft, guess I messed that up. Here's my initial Feel and Fit photos -

So looks like I may need to get a custom gear to fit it to make it work. I am going to go to a 2-axle motor, and not ruin a good 3 axle, but this was all I could find at the moment. Will have to find my motor case, I think it's in the basement, which has all my spare Tyco motors and parts.

So a reasonably productive evening, I think the Hustler is off to a good start, and the Tyco will still take some figuring out. But it looks like using these motors in a 2-axle unit will clear the middle axle, and will just have to find a compatible gear to fit. The fun continues....

Jerry in VA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - February 09 2015 :  10:11:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Jerry,
Before you mount the pan cake style motors. Run then in both direction for awhile. I have tried the RF 300 motors and a good percentage developed a mechanical tick after a run in time. May save you some effort.

Regards, John

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 11 2015 :  10:27:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Carrying on with the Hustler remotor and decoder upgrade, I took it to work Tuesday, and outfitted it with some gold-plated contacts we had, actually a bag of rejects, so they're free to use There's no shortage of these around.

Here's what I started out with :

The top spring is the original, I need two of these per side, I cut the bottom arms off each one, and solder them together to create the dual contact in the middle.

Here's the finished two pieces, ready to install :

Next up, I had to redo the foam bed cradle I made, so I found some thicker foam with adhesive on one side, and cut it to make a new cradle to hold the motor. Then I put both contact springs inside along the outer side plates, and put the foam on top of them to hold them down on the wheels. Then the motor will go on, and the rubber bands will also put tension on the motor to hold it down, plus put tension on the contact springs to the wheels. Worked out rather well for a quick inspiration I had.

Overall it worked pretty well with little mechanical effort to keep the contacts in place. Next, with all that done, I soldered the Decoder harness to the spring contact tabs on either side, and to the motor itself :

I'd say this took me less than an hour to put all together. I took it to my hobby shop job Tuesday night, reprogrammed it with a Zephyr Digitrax system, and then put it on the test track. Yay! I took a few nudges, but it ran smooth and fast. The dual contacts on each side really help, I think, and give more positive contact than the side axle points into the side frames It didn't hesitate or jerk while running, it was smooth, and quick. Should be fun to put some bodies on this chassis and see how it does at shows. I hope to use the haunted caboose, tender, and eventually the Batman car ( once I find it again ). A multi-purpose high-speed runner.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 11 2015 :  10:36:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Jerry,
Before you mount the pan cake style motors. Run then in both direction for awhile. I have tried the RF 300 motors and a good percentage developed a mechanical tick after a run in time. May save you some effort.

Regards, John

Originally posted by JRG1951 - February 09 2015 :  10:11:03 PM

Ok, I'll do that. Did that 'tick' make them unusable, or just annoying to listen to?

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - February 11 2015 :  11:59:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Lots of cool tinkering in this thread. As they say at the Gourmet Arches, "I'm lovin' it."
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2354  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Bowser Trolley repair / upgrade Topic Next Topic: Mantua Tender Picking Up from Both Rails  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000