Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 4 ]  [ Total: 4 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW - Nov 23 to Nov 29 2014
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW Nov 30th - Dec 6th 2014 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - Nov 16 to Nov 22, 2014  

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - November 23 2014 :  12:37:01 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
I got this from the LHS a few weeks ago.
I think it's unique enough to add to my collection.
This company had promise, but they seemed to just vanish after a few product releases.
GSB Rail Ltd. SD40-2 in custom CP paint made for C&S rail, a division of Pacific Scale Rail.
Evan
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 23 2014 :  12:52:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oooo Thats just as nice as my Athern Rock Island & Bachman UP ones
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - November 23 2014 :  6:05:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Lots of gears in those trucks, Evan! I'll bet it sounded like a Bachmann unit, very noisy. Not familiar with that company, either.

Anyway, from ANOTHER company that is out of business, I picked up this nice Tyco Conrail loco yesterday, tried it at work, dead. The trucks swivel REALLY hard, too. It looks clean and fresh, but will need some work obviously. Since I just got a Mantua B Conrail unit at the last show, I have a set to run now with my hoppers. Who's blue now?

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - November 23 2014 :  7:09:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Lots of gears in those trucks, Evan! I'll bet it sounded like a Bachmann unit, very noisy. Not familiar with that company, either.

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - November 23 2014 :  6:05:32 PM

Wouldn't be surprised, honestly.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 23 2014 :  10:29:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

GMoney's GP 35 hauling a seven car string of Tyco Autoloaders, several also courtesy
of GMoney who both traded and sold these items to me. That Geep is a sweet
running Life Like. Horn hook couplers and gloss blue paint. Wouldn't want it any
other way. Taken at El Paso Model Train Club 42nd Annual Open House, at
throttle. One of the little cars flew off on a curve just before this photo was taken.

Edited by - Chops124 on November 23 2014 10:55:45 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 23 2014 :  11:02:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
sometime in the 1990s #8164 had a nose job
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

graftonterminalrr
Little Six

Calvin

Posted - November 24 2014 :  11:52:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add graftonterminalrr to Buddylist
GSB Rail SD40-2. Wow. I have two of them. Its a real interesting back story - basically, in the early 80s the SD40-2 was lacking in HO scale plastic. This upstart company called GSB announced they were going to do one, with a high quality motor and the best, for the time, paint jobs. Lastly it would have all the detail parts in the box - plow, fuel filters, horn, optional brakewheel, sand fill hatches, lift rings and grabirons. They advertised in MR every month but no product came until juuuuuust after Athearn released their SD40-2 in the same month, February 83. Athearn didn't even have to advertise, they rode the wave of GSB ads and of frustrated modelers who'd waited two and a half years for the GSB model. And Athearn's was five dollars cheaper!

The GSB is a nice piece that suffers from a lack of flywheels and a plastic chassis. You can put the GSB shell on an Athearn frame with some quick shell modification. Or, like me, you can use the original if you add flywheels and drive shafts from an old Atlas-Roco junker.

Kris Carver-Seaboyer

Modelling the Grafton Terminal Railway, set in New Brunswick, Canada in the 1978-1984 time frame
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 28 2009  ~  Last Visit: February 25 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - November 24 2014 :  6:23:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
GSB Rail SD40-2. Wow. I have two of them. Its a real interesting back story - basically, in the early 80s the SD40-2 was lacking in HO scale plastic. This upstart company called GSB announced they were going to do one, with a high quality motor and the best, for the time, paint jobs. Lastly it would have all the detail parts in the box - plow, fuel filters, horn, optional brakewheel, sand fill hatches, lift rings and grabirons. They advertised in MR every month but no product came until juuuuuust after Athearn released their SD40-2 in the same month, February 83. Athearn didn't even have to advertise, they rode the wave of GSB ads and of frustrated modelers who'd waited two and a half years for the GSB model. And Athearn's was five dollars cheaper!

The GSB is a nice piece that suffers from a lack of flywheels and a plastic chassis. You can put the GSB shell on an Athearn frame with some quick shell modification. Or, like me, you can use the original if you add flywheels and drive shafts from an old Atlas-Roco junker.

Originally posted by graftonterminalrr - November 24 2014 :  11:52:52 AM

That's a shame because GSB seemed to have lots of potential in the model railroad business. If they released their SD40 at least a couple of months before Athearn did, GSB would probably still be around in some form or another.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 25 2014 :  01:27:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Just won this.

A MIB Rivarossi SP Atlantic, tender and loco still screwed to the factory packaging board. I've never seen one of these in the original box, much less unused. The seller said it came from an estate collection of trains in similar mint condition. I paid a pretty penny, but I don't regret it. It almost slipped past me because of how it was listed, and I was the only bidder. I'm sure it would have gone for much more with a proper description. I take possession of it later today, as the seller lives in my area and is going to stop by with it.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - November 25 2014 :  09:13:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
Just won this.

A MIB Rivarossi SP Atlantic, tender and loco still screwed to the factory packaging board. I've never seen one of these in the original box, much less unused. The seller said it came from an estate collection of trains in similar mint condition. I paid a pretty penny, but I don't regret it. It almost slipped past me because of how it was listed, and I was the only bidder. I'm sure it would have gone for much more with a proper description. I take possession of it later today, as the seller lives in my area and is going to stop by with it.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - November 25 2014 :  01:27:13 AM

WOW Nelson!! That is a super sweet and rare gem!! Awesome find! Glad it went to someone who was willing to take a picture an share it. Too often sweet and rare pieces like this go into someone's collection never to be seen again!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - November 25 2014 :  09:25:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Just won this.

Good job on that, NickelPlate.It's not everyday you see some vintage piece mint in box like that.It's both awesome and sad how this locomotive's never been used. What are you going to do with this, take it out of the box or leave it?

-Steve

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - November 25 2014 :  09:34:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
My LOTW offering is an early Athearn RDC New Haven in McGinnis paint scheme colors. I know it pales in significance to Nelson's score, but none the less... Here it is! These were painted this way for only one year... the first year. I believe it was sometime in the mid 1960's?

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 25 2014 :  1:06:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Great find Nelson. In great shape and boxed.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 25 2014 :  1:09:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is my Mantua CNJ 0-6-0 camelback.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 25 2014 :  1:24:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Thanks, Frank. It's a 1957 edition that was mounted in a presentation box (as described on Rivarossi Memory). Cost me $200, but I've never seen one before and would have paid more. I think the bidding would have gone berzerk if it hadn't only been listed by its cab number.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181588522254

Sean, these are shots from the auction since the seller will stop by with it later today, but I will definitely take additional photos. Nice NH RDC.

quote:

What are you going to do with this, take it out of the box or leave it?

Originally posted by kovacste000 - November 25 2014 : 09:25:36 AM

Probably build a candle shrine around it and worship it daily.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - November 25 2014 :  1:42:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
quote:
Just won this.

What a deal!
I have never seen one that nice. Usually the frames are broken and in pieces.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 25 2014 :  2:23:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
My LOTW offering is an early Athearn RDC New Haven in McGinnis paint scheme colors.
Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - November 25 2014 :  09:34:37 AM

That's a pretty paint scheme. Usually you just see RDC's in gray, bare metal.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - November 25 2014 :  3:48:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks, Frank. It's a 1957 edition that was mounted in a presentation box (as described on Rivarossi Memory). Cost me $200, but I've never seen one before and would have paid more. I think the bidding would have gone berzerk if it hadn't only been listed by its cab number.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181588522254

Sean, these are shots from the auction since the seller will stop by with it later today, but I will definitely take additional photos. Nice NH RDC.

quote:

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - November 25 2014 :  1:24:01 PM

I can see that now.

Well I'll add my adulation to the chorus Nelson, that's an item you have got to buy if possible. Beautiful!

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - November 25 2014 :  4:20:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Just got this nice IHC Mehano 0-4-0T Dockside switcher. It's a smooth runner.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 25 2014 :  4:49:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Originally posted by Redwoods - November 25 2014 :  4:20:07 PM

Mehano steamers generally are smooth runners. It's a real looker, too. It even has full valve gear. That's a nice engine.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 25 2014 :  5:10:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
the Mehano resembles a old Varney

PRR = Pennsylvania Railroad?

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - November 25 2014 :  7:31:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Redwoods - November 25 2014 :  4:20:07 PM

Mehano steamers generally are smooth runners. It's a real looker, too. It even has full valve gear. That's a nice engine.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - November 25 2014 :  4:49:54 PM

It's just a shame the front coupler is a dummy, otherwise it would be perfect for a switching layout in that case.

-Steve

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 25 2014 :  7:52:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great finds!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SCVR66
Big Boy

SCVR #2

Posted - November 25 2014 :  11:53:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SCVR66 to Buddylist
back with my Penn line D2 whitcombs. Took the two complete ones, tore them apart, rebuilt them and they run like dreams!! fully cleaned the wheels, both got new lead motor wires, new contact plates, and oiled up motors! There is about enough left to make the 3rd one a runner but that will come at a later date. Time to think of paint schemes for the 2 running ones....

these are the two that i mechanically restored

the wheels on one of the Whitcombs were hands down probably the worst ive ever seen corrosive and pitted wise........they took a little while longer the shine up again as compared to the traditional brass wheels i restore. Painstaking process but worth it!

here's the 3rd one in pieces outside the barn

I buy, repair, and collect
http://scvr.weebly.com/
http://seyboldlocomotiveworks.weebly.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDeputation?feature=watch
Hyde.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1352  ~  Member Since: January 15 2012  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - November 26 2014 :  10:01:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
back with my Penn line D2 whitcombs. Took the two complete ones, tore them apart, rebuilt them and they run like dreams!! fully cleaned the wheels, both got new lead motor wires, new contact plates, and oiled up motors! There is about enough left to make the 3rd one a runner but that will come at a later date. Time to think of paint schemes for the 2 running ones....

these are the two that i mechanically restored

the wheels on one of the Whitcombs were hands down probably the worst ive ever seen corrosive and pitted wise........they took a little while longer the shine up again as compared to the traditional brass wheels i restore. Painstaking process but worth it!

here's the 3rd one in pieces outside the barn

Originally posted by SCVR66 - November 25 2014 :  11:53:08 PM

Well done Hayden!

Sean

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 26 2014 :  10:26:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
back with my Penn line D2 whitcombs.
Originally posted by SCVR66 - November 25 2014 :  11:53:08 PM

An interesting look at a fascinating little engine. It's good to hear from you again.

Carpe Manana!

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - November 26 2014 :  3:29:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

quote:

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - November 25 2014 :  1:24:01 PM

I guess that would work.

-Steve

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 26 2014 :  7:56:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That Budd car is a beauty. What a cool find.
Used to take a Budd car, under Amtrak
auspices, from Springfield, Mass. to Bridgeport, Conn.
enroute to NYC. Standing next to the motorman, we
rounded a tree shrouded curved doing 70 MPH just in time
to see someone had laid a section of steel rebar across the
rails. Motorman and conductor just about jumped out of their
seats, but we glided over that thing and it didn't even
make a clink. Dad said that someone probably needed
a 4 foot 8 1/2 inch piece of rebar in a hurry.

Edited by - Chops124 on November 26 2014 7:57:30 PM

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - November 26 2014 :  8:02:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Cool work Hyde. I dig the last photo of the engine barn and the old loco parked.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 26 2014 :  8:16:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Cool work Hyde. I dig the last photo of the engine barn and the old loco parked.

Originally posted by Barry - November 26 2014 :  8:02:00 PM

yeah! me too
Looks like a loco that was/is canabalized for parts

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 26 2014 :  9:40:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Well, here it is guys, possibly unboxed for the first time.

This is pretty much me since I got it hand delivered yesterday: /tyco/forum/uploaded/NickelPlate759/20141126212418_Kermit.gif

It will not be removed from the cradle... I don't even want to mar the blackened brass screws. The test certificate indicates it's #52; it would be nice to know how big the production run was. It has the name of the person who assembled and/or mounted it, and the tester. Between zinc rot and (I would assume) most being unmounted and used, it's a possibility that this is the only one in this condition. WOW.

By the way, I don't need the candles. It gives off it's own soft beams of illumination (cue heavenly chorus).

The Tyco Depot

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - November 27 2014 :  12:50:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Finally finished (nearly) with the Green diamond inspired tea set for my BFA show. Here it is with the title of 4 Hours 55 Minutes as my LOTW.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - November 27 2014 :  10:31:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Finally finished (nearly) with the Green diamond inspired tea set for my BFA show. Here it is with the title of 4 Hours 55 Minutes as my LOTW.

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - November 27 2014 :  12:50:20 AM

Oh, that thing. That thing's changed so much since you last posted it.Looking pretty good.

-Steve

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - November 27 2014 :  7:43:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Metalsmith,
I get it. Great art! Very stylish and obviously very well crafted.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - November 27 2014 :  9:07:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
My Hi-Fi RDC-1 powered with tuneup and new bands with an RDC-3 dummy.

One of these days I'll darken up the chassis so they don't look so "out of the box".

~ Dave

They're ALL toys

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 547  ~  Member Since: December 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 28 2014 :  2:17:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
ok I knows this is late but got a new Nikon Coolpix cam for $47
Tyco Chessie

Will see if site will take a pic that is 2mp
For now will use VGA mode

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 28 2014 :  3:03:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Will see if site will take a pic that is 2mp
Originally posted by microbusss - November 28 2014 :  2:17:11 PM

2mp is a prodigious amount of data. You will probably time out uploading it to the site. If, by some chance, you don't time out and the picture is uploaded, then every time someone downloads the thread, that same prodigious amount of data will need to be downloaded and resized by the internet browser of the unfortunate soul looking at the thread.

When you browse the threads on this forum, you will see that some of them are a long time in coming. You sit seemingly forever as the thread starts to show on your screen and then the pictures come later. Often, in this case, you will see the pictures first appear so big that they overflow the screen. Then they will pop down to a smaller size. That's your internet browser resizing the picture to a size that fits the screen.

We all do ourselves and others a favor when we resize the picture to something close to its final size before we upload it. You've been doing that by using VGA format (thank you). Others use editing software such as MS Paint or Photoshop.

Carpe Manana!

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - November 28 2014 :  4:50:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
Well, here it is guys, possibly unboxed for the first time.

This is pretty much me since I got it hand delivered yesterday: /tyco/forum/uploaded/NickelPlate759/20141126212418_Kermit.gif

It will not be removed from the cradle... I don't even want to mar the blackened brass screws. The test certificate indicates it's #52; it would be nice to know how big the production run was. It has the name of the person who assembled and/or mounted it, and the tester. Between zinc rot and (I would assume) most being unmounted and used, it's a possibility that this is the only one in this condition. WOW.

By the way, I don't need the candles. It gives off it's own soft beams of illumination (cue heavenly chorus).

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - November 26 2014 :  9:40:21 PM

Having fun worshipping your new idol?

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - November 28 2014 :  7:24:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - November 27 2014 :  12:50:20 AM

Be interesting to see a couple different views on this Steven. Looks like a tasteful assemblage of metalwork and of the caliber of a man who goes by the name of Metalsmith.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - November 30 2014 :  01:18:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Here is a closeup of the tea pot, just ignore the fingerprint.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - November 30 2014 :  01:25:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
This is the interior with a cast bronze burner and integral storage rack to support the tea cups.

The tea cups have cast brass bases with fabricated cylinders and handles.

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - November 30 2014 :  01:30:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
While not train related, another piece that you might find of interest is my take on the Wimshurst Machine static electricity generator.
Also in my exhibit will be my steam powered prosthetic arm titled Heavy Handed. It has stainless steel pistons and nickel silver actuators. It works better on compressed air but will generate enough steam on its own to move the fingers.
  Previous Topic: LOTW Nov 30th - Dec 6th 2014 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - Nov 16 to Nov 22, 2014  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000