Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW - Oct 19 through Oct 25, 2014
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW - NOV 9 to Nov 15, 2014 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - Oct 12 thru Oct 18, 2014  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 19 2014 :  01:38:39 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Doubling your viewing pleasure, I bought this engine from my boss after he bought an estate lot of HO and N trains a few months ago, I finally got it this past week. Why is it doubled? This is one of those rare dual motor Tyco engines. I've never seen one before. This one has two MU-2 motors, and they're held together with screws, not rivets. Pretty neat. I'm not a NYC fan, but due to the fact that it is probably an original dual motor Tyco, I wanted it. The front motor is not held in, I need to see if the engaging clip is broken, or just needs to be popped back in place. I have the parts to fix it either way.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 19 2014 :  05:28:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
My Broadway Limited PRR M1b on a layout in Boonton NJ I visited a few weeks back. It is on a access track to a turntable high in a multi layered layout.

The approach track goes to this Erie turntable, roundhouse and power house.

Here you can see a Erie 2-8-4 Berkshire on a track alongside the roundhouse.

frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - October 19 2014 :  09:51:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
My loco this week is a Kato EMD SD90/43 MAC that was a thank you gift from a friend. I have not unboxed it yet but want to know what is the best radius curve for this engine. On my layout I am using 18" radius and I think it is too short a curve. Most of my engines are gp9's & 30's. The engine is a beauty though.

Edited by - thetramp on October 19 2014 09:52:12 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 338  ~  Member Since: February 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

badman55
Big Six

badman 55

Posted - October 19 2014 :  10:51:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add badman55 to Buddylist
My contribution of the week is a post-BB Athearn Frisco GP35 with AAR type B trucks. It represents the final 8 GP35s bought by the railroad using these type of trucks from traded in FA1s It bears the number 725.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 252  ~  Member Since: May 16 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 10 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 19 2014 :  11:51:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Nice stuff this week everyone, keep it up!My LOTW this week is a AHM/Mehano "Coffee Grinder" BL2 locomotive in Monon livery made in July of 1972 according to the flap on the box for it.I got it at a recent train show for $17 with the box. It works fairly good and runs very smoothly aside from the obnoxious noise it makes which is what makes those "Coffee Grinder" type locos.And this thing has a very odd feature about it that's apparently custom painted. That feature is that on one side of the model, the axles are painted silver and on the other, they're just black like how AHM originally made them, which means someone was in the middle of customizing it or something. But man, you've gotta love these things for how bizarre they look.

Look at how neatly painted that one side of the axle is in the last picture. It almost looks like factory paint or something even though every single picture I've seen of it doesn't have the silver paint on the axles.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 19 2014 :  1:29:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Nice photos Frank; looks like a real industrial setting. I'll bet that was fun, gettin' that big locomotive out on a big layout where you can watch it on a long run.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - October 19 2014 :  2:34:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
This is what I need to pull my Elvis train from the polling forum!
quote:
Nice stuff this week everyone, keep it up!My LOTW this week is a AHM/Mehano "Coffee Grinder" BL2 locomotive in Monon livery made in July of 1972 according to the flap on the box for it.I got it at a recent train show for $17 with the box. It works fairly good and runs very smoothly aside from the obnoxious noise it makes which is what makes those "Coffee Grinder" type locos.And this thing has a very odd feature about it that's apparently custom painted. That feature is that on one side of the model, the axles are painted silver and on the other, they're just black like how AHM originally made them, which means someone was in the middle of customizing it or something. But man, you've gotta love these things for how bizarre they look.

Look at how neatly painted that one side of the axle is in the last picture. It almost looks like factory paint or something even though every single picture I've seen of it doesn't have the silver paint on the axles.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - October 19 2014 :  11:51:19 AM

Edited by - metalsmith1 on October 19 2014 2:37:46 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - October 19 2014 :  4:35:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
My loco this week is a Kato EMD SD90/43 MAC that was a thank you gift from a friend. I have not unboxed it yet but want to know what is the best radius curve for this engine. On my layout I am using 18" radius and I think it is too short a curve. Most of my engines are gp9's & 30's. The engine is a beauty though.

Originally posted by thetramp - October 19 2014 :  09:51:19 AM

Quite a friend you got there tramp! And a beautiful loco
Don't know about that beast running 18R curves. You might go to the Kato website or even check out the paperwork that came with it to see if it mentions a minimum radius for it. I don't think it would hurt to just put it on the track and see how it does - you'll know soon enough whether it will negotiate it or not.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 19 2014 :  4:43:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
This is what I need to pull my Elvis train from the polling forum!
quote:

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - October 19 2014 :  2:34:13 PM

Well, you can't have it.Homestly though, it would look good pulling your bizarre Elvis coaches.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 19 2014 :  6:35:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

will look for this number on the UP coal line to & from Wyoming
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 19 2014 :  7:25:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
[quoteMy LOTW this week is a AHM/Mehano "Coffee Grinder" BL2 locomotive in Monon livery made in July of 1972 according to the flap on the box for it.And this thing has a very odd feature about it that's apparently custom painted. That feature is that on one side of the model, the axles are painted silver and on the other, they're just black like how AHM originally made them, which means someone was in the middle of customizing it or something.

[/quote]

It could be that as it passed down the line, one person painted one side black, and the other side got painted silver by another person? That IS one strange BL-2 attribute for sure. Never seen anything like it. Mantua has the sideframes heat-melted on, I'll have to look at my AHM BL-2's to see how they're held on, but it could just be a factory screw-up, or someone had to replace one side that was missing, and only had the other color. Either way, it's an interesting story! Thanks for posting it.

Jerry
BL-2 lover.

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 19 2014 :  7:37:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Well, Jerry, you could just dunk them in black paint and slap on a "worms in love" logo...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - October 19 2014 :  7:52:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Don't know about that beast running 18R curves. You might go to the Kato website or even check out the paperwork that came with it to see if it mentions a minimum radius for it. I don't think it would hurt to just put it on the track and see how it does - you'll know soon enough whether it will negotiate it or not.

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - October 19 2014 :  4:35:05 PM

Thanks Jerry, I put it on the track with the 18R curves and it did not derail. However when I tried backing it onto a siding, it derailed on the switches. My wife asked me what am I going to do. I told her I could do one of four things, run it on the oval with no switching-no fun, tear up the layout and start over with 22r curves and switches-more work that I care to do, put it on a shelf as a show piece or trade it for a shorter engine-gp9 or gp35 with the same features. I am undecided at this time.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 338  ~  Member Since: February 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - October 19 2014 :  9:28:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - October 19 2014 :  4:35:05 PM

Thanks Jerry, I put it on the track with the 18R curves and it did not derail. However when I tried backing it onto a siding, it derailed on the switches. My wife asked me what am I going to do. I told her I could do one of four things, run it on the oval with no switching-no fun, tear up the layout and start over with 22r curves and switches-more work that I care to do, put it on a shelf as a show piece or trade it for a shorter engine-gp9 or gp35 with the same features. I am undecided at this time.

Originally posted by thetramp - October 19 2014 :  7:52:37 PM

Well, take your time - it sure is a nice one, even just sitting. I have several pieces myself that are too large for my current layout, but I have plans (I hope!) to build a bigger layout after our move.
Any possibility of building a larger outer loop to incorporate with your current pike? (Or desire to?) If not, maybe a trade is the way to go. Probably wouldn't be hard to find a willing trader for it.

Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - October 20 2014 :  11:44:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
My LOTM is this Mantus GP20 in the popcycle scheme:

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - October 20 2014 :  1:32:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
My LOTW is an O scale (2-rail) completely scratch built WM class M2 brass challenger.

The chassis is Sprung:

and equalized:

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 20 2014 :  2:01:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yeah, Tramp, that is quite the dilemma. Friends and family have a way
of "surprising" me with the impractical. You could always sell it
on Ebay and buy your wife a set of cheese graters, or something.

My buddy drives SD 90's for a living. Says that in multiple lash ups on
15,000 ton grain trains, it is a bit like surfing the wave, what with the
huge momentum shoving him along, over even mild gradients.

Says the trick is to stay off the air as much as possible and rely
on the dynamics. And he says he tends to stay under track speed
by a healthy margin.

On the other hand, he doesn't do any switching with them, either.
But if your layout allows for it, you could have some interesting
work using the "momentum" function of your transformer, if
you have one, and switch around it, while in motion.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - October 20 2014 :  2:39:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
My LOTW is the ingredients for a set of Santa Fe Warbonnet F7 ABA powered units. These have the lighter bachmann F chassis and will require some weight. The B-unit shell is a Athearn and will require the chassis to be shortened just a little. To achieve close coupling between units I will use draw-bars, and run them as a set. DCC and sound are planned.

Regards John **********************

You ask me if I keep a notebook to record my great ideas. I've only ever had one. <> Albert Einstein

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - October 20 2014 :  3:44:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
My LOTW is the ingredients for a set of Santa Fe Warbonnet F7 ABA powered units. These have the lighter bachmann F chassis and will require some weight. The B-unit shell is a Athearn and will require the chassis to be shortened just a little. To achieve close coupling between units I will use draw-bars, and run them as a set. DCC and sound are planned.

Regards John **********************

You ask me if I keep a notebook to record my great ideas. I've only ever had one. <> Albert Einstein

Originally posted by JRG1951 - October 20 2014 :  2:39:55 PM

That should be a great looking set John. I picked up an old Kadee coupler pack with a lot of others at a train show this year that is supposed to allow close coupling between Bachman Plus F units. Have not ried it yet so I can't comment on how ell it does.

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - October 20 2014 :  5:22:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Jerry.
The instructions for the Bachmann conversion required a lot of modification to the trucks for 3 foot spacing. I like the simple approach of draw bars. But I am kind of lazy.

http://www.kadee.com/html/452p2ins.pdf

Regards John *******************************

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in the insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding. <> Louis D. Brandeis
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 20 2014 :  5:47:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by GG-1 Guy - October 20 2014 :  11:44:55 AM

I like the paint scheme on that thing for some bizarre reason.

-Steve

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - October 20 2014 :  5:50:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Jerry.
The instructions for the Bachmann conversion required a lot of modification to the trucks for 3 foot spacing. I like the simple approach of draw bars. But I am kind of lazy.

http://www.kadee.com/html/452p2ins.pdf

Regards John *******************************

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in the insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding. <> Louis D. Brandeis

Originally posted by JRG1951 - October 20 2014 :  5:22:35 PM

Wow...I had not opened the pack to check out the instructions. I think I like drawbars too

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - October 20 2014 :  5:55:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by GG-1 Guy - October 20 2014 :  11:44:55 AM

I like the paint scheme on that thing for some bizarre reason.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - October 20 2014 :  5:47:26 PM

I like that scheme too, and before seeing it on the rare Mantua loco posted here I wasn't even aware of its existence. Dynamic and eye-catching. Would make a good, easy to reproduce scheme for a fantasy railroad.

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 20 2014 :  11:45:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That is one fine piece of work Sean. Be interesting to know a bit about the builder.

quote:
My LOTW is an O scale (2-rail) completely scratch built WM class M2 brass challenger.

The chassis is Sprung:

and equalized:

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - October 20 2014 :  1:32:06 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 21 2014 :  7:35:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
Nice photos as always. This one is a Fairbanks-Morse C liner
lettered for the Long Island RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5878  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - October 22 2014 :  4:33:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
This weeks loco is a Mantua, 4-6-0, D&RGW in the Bumble Bee livery. Came with the box and warranty card. Now my cars have some motive power.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 22 2014 :  6:23:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
This weeks loco is a Mantua, 4-6-0, D&RGW in the Bumble Bee livery. Came with the box and warranty card. Now my cars have some motive power.

Originally posted by oldtimer52 - October 22 2014 :  4:33:54 PM

Dude, I have that exact same locomotive! I got it in Mantua's "Train Pak" variation from 1985 at a hobby shop earlier this year for about $50. It came with two Rio Grande 1890 coaches and their boxes and the warranty card.I've been seeing these locomotives in this specific livery a ton ever since I got it. It almost seems like they're everywhere now.

-Steve

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 22 2014 :  6:32:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
"Bumble Bee Livery". That's pretty cool.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 22 2014 :  9:05:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
that was used on D&RG's Durango & Silverton line for the movie of the same name

& now a cheapo loco thats about HO but is friction powered
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 22 2014 :  10:07:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
that was used on D&RG's Durango & Silverton line for the movie of the same name

& now a cheapo loco thats about HO but is friction powered

Originally posted by microbusss - October 22 2014 :  9:05:46 PM

I actually have one of those things in a bin somewhere. It would actually make a fairly interesting project to get one of these thing's shells on an H0 chassis.

-Steve

Hudson646
Switcher

LVAvatar

Posted - October 24 2014 :  1:36:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hudson646 to Buddylist
Here is my LOTW that I've been working on I tore this Chattanooga apart cleaned the motor replaced tires and rebuilt the smoke unit. This engine is now one of my best pullers and smokes like the Marlboro Man.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 8  ~  Member Since: October 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: September 20 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - October 24 2014 :  3:14:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
That is one fine piece of work Sean. Be interesting to know a bit about the builder.

quote:

Originally posted by Barry - October 20 2014 :  11:45:47 PM

Hello Barry,

From I was able to determine from emailing various discussion groups, attending the NYSME train show and anything else I was able to think of.. I believe the builder to have been a Mr. Herbert Walters. He was the clerk at the Ma Websters hobby store in NYC.

This is an early 1950's piece, it is powered by a K&D motor. It is third rail and 17/64 scale. The drivers look to be the only items on the entire engine that are cast and then machined. Nothing else is cast. Everything else is either hand tooled or machined. It is entirely nickel plated.

I purchased it on eBay in 2009. It was listed as Misc Trains Parts & Pieces. It was listed in the Mixed Lots category. I paid ~$150 including s/h for it. After delivery I called the seller.. He gave me info that he had not stated in the listing. He worked for Saks in Manhattan as a delivery driver. He was leaving work one day and he saw a box on top of a pile of stuff next to the freight elevator. It was labeled "Trains". So he asked if it was OK if he took it and to be sure if it was being thrown out. and it was.. He said they were clearing out a storage room in the Saks main office building. He said he thought it might been part of one of their old window displays...

So then I really started researching it! After some time, I drove up to the New York Society of Model Engineers and attended one of their train shows. There I started taking to a few people and one of which claimed to have an operating crane Herbert had built. Unfortunately, he would not return any calls or emails after the show. This was pretty frustrating.

So then I listed it on eBay for approximately 3 years an attempt to gain more knowledge. A few people contacted me and some concurred with the thoughts it may have been Herbert.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - October 24 2014 :  9:46:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Sean - that is an absolutely fascinating story - to match an equally fascinating piece. I remember reading about it, one or two years back when I had won one of your ebay auctions and checked out your site and saw it listed there. Boggles my mind that they were going to just throw that masterpiece out.
I love these old bits of uncovered history associated with trains we find. Always fires my imagination when pick up an old piece out of a dollar junk box, wondering about the tales it could tell.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 24 2014 :  11:26:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
glad he rescued it
who would throw this out??
Now you know WHY I Dumpster Dive or go to garage sales

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 24 2014 :  11:59:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
glad he rescued it
who would throw this out??
Now you know WHY I Dumpster Dive or go to garage sales

Originally posted by microbusss - October 24 2014 :  11:26:24 PM

Yeah, really. Why would someone just flat out throw that beautiful thing out? It's a nonsensical thing to do. Sometimes I wonder how many awesome things that still have a great amount of usage to them get dumped out.

-Steve

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - October 26 2014 :  01:49:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Truly remarkable model. It reminds me of the work of Frank Dorazio although the level of detail far exceeds what was typical of Dorazio's pieces. If anyone on the forum has a Dorazio I would love to see some pics. I found one in pieces at a swap meet once and I still kick myself for not grabbing it even though the asking price was kind of outrageous.
quote:
quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Barry - October 20 2014 :  11:45:47 PM

Hello Barry,

From I was able to determine from emailing various discussion groups, attending the NYSME train show and anything else I was able to think of.. I believe the builder to have been a Mr. Herbert Walters. He was the clerk at the Ma Websters hobby store in NYC.

This is an early 1950's piece, it is powered by a K&D motor. It is third rail and 17/64 scale. The drivers look to be the only items on the entire engine that are cast and then machined. Nothing else is cast. Everything else is either hand tooled or machined. It is entirely nickel plated.

I purchased it on eBay in 2009. It was listed as Misc Trains Parts & Pieces. It was listed in the Mixed Lots category. I paid ~$150 including s/h for it. After delivery I called the seller.. He gave me info that he had not stated in the listing. He worked for Saks in Manhattan as a delivery driver. He was leaving work one day and he saw a box on top of a pile of stuff next to the freight elevator. It was labeled "Trains". So he asked if it was OK if he took it and to be sure if it was being thrown out. and it was.. He said they were clearing out a storage room in the Saks main office building. He said he thought it might been part of one of their old window displays...

So then I really started researching it! After some time, I drove up to the New York Society of Model Engineers and attended one of their train shows. There I started taking to a few people and one of which claimed to have an operating crane Herbert had built. Unfortunately, he would not return any calls or emails after the show. This was pretty frustrating.

So then I listed it on eBay for approximately 3 years an attempt to gain more knowledge. A few people contacted me and some concurred with the thoughts it may have been Herbert.

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - October 24 2014 :  3:14:35 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW - NOV 9 to Nov 15, 2014 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - Oct 12 thru Oct 18, 2014  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000