Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 33 ]  [ Total: 33 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Rolling Stock
 Mantua TH & B animated boxcar - history?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: BN Tyco Gondola in real life! Topic Next Topic: Just a Few Streamliners...  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 07 2014 :  9:57:31 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I've been looking for some animated items for my <future> action modules lately, and ran across this Boxcar last week. A Mantua with a slot in the roof, and some hardware inside. I"m not sure what goes on the end of the flush metal pieces, nor how it functions - I see openings at each end of the chassis base, so maybe rubber bands to the axles? I thought it might be similar to the Cop and Hobo car, but not sure. What do you know, and when will you share it? Thanks for any help.
Also, there is a red Marie & St. Louis? boxcar on Ebay now, same Mantua design, missing the end pieces, whatever they are, as well. I bet you rarely see these action Mantua cars often. I sure haven't. This one I have is near mint, other than the missing end people?

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

waw47
Hudson

Posted - October 07 2014 :  10:51:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add waw47 to Buddylist
Jerry,
A brakeman figurine is attached to a rubber band and moves along the roof. The TH&B Animated Brakeman Box Car was first cataloged in 1960 by Tyco.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 466  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - October 08 2014 :  06:59:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
TH&B is the harder one to find. Brakeman goes back and forth on the roof using a rubber band mechanism. IIRC the M&STL was cataloged 1960-65, the TH&B maybe to '62.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 08 2014 :  10:30:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Ok, so it's a brakeman, not a hobo. Thanks for the history and ID, guys. I'm really getting into the animated idea now, hopefully I can get some of it functional and presented at shows before I die. LOL. I have great ambitions, but terrible follow-through. But at least some of my projects are moving along nicely now, the Auto Loader and Flats, and now the Lima Willys conversions.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

richard p
Little Six

Posted - October 10 2014 :  09:26:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add richard p to Buddylist
I remember reading about this - very cool.

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13694&SearchTerms=brakeman

rich p
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 190  ~  Member Since: December 26 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 10 2014 :  09:53:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
I remember reading about this - very cool.

SearchTerms=brakeman

Originally posted by richard p - October 10 2014 :  09:26:23 AM

THanks for posting that link, Richard. I've already copied the photos to my folder to analyze. :) Will be figuring out how to reanimate my own TH&B now.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

richard p
Little Six

Posted - October 10 2014 :  4:13:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add richard p to Buddylist
This one is even better:

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2580&SearchTerms=brakeman,car

Now I want one.

rich p
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 190  ~  Member Since: December 26 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 10 2014 :  4:59:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
This one is even better:

TOPIC_ID=2580&SearchTerms=brakeman,car

Now I want one.

Originally posted by richard p - October 10 2014 :  4:13:16 PM

You're in luck, a red one, but only THREE HOURS left, until 7:45 PM on Oct 10th !!! BIN for $12.24.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371159877898?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for posting that second link, even better! Now I can see how to run the rubber bands.

Jerry

Edited by - AMC_Gremlin_GT on October 10 2014 5:01:19 PM

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 10 2014 :  9:26:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I just had an interesting idea - why not take the base, add another Tyco boxcar to it, and do a different animated character? I was thinking, do the Dairyman car, and put a cow on the roofwalk, maybe get a football boxcar and put a football player on the roof, etc. All sorts of things I could come up with. Purina boxcar, and put a dog or cat on the roof. LOL! I gotta think about this one some more.
Oh, too late on that red one on Ebay, I did a BIN after the Seller relisted it after 7:45 PM. I'm thinking the Dairyman version for that one.

Jerry

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 21 2014 :  10:01:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Well, the madness has begun. I got my 2nd Tyco action car Monday, and today I bought a Mantua Purina boxcar at a hobby shop at lunch. After I got home, I took the purina shell and my dremel, and proceeded to cut a slot in the roof. The Purina shell is a bit smaller than the St Louis or TH&B shells, so it may sit off the base a bit. Anyway, I got the initial cut done, and took apart the red boxcar to get the chassis. I then trial-fitted it, and it just fits , I need to widen the openings at the ends, but for a first go-round, it works enough. I think I'm going to run a cat on the top of this one. I'm thinking of the Tyco Dairyman boxcar next, and put Bessy on top of that one. Any other ideas? I also noticed, that the TH&B I just bought via Ebay is missing both horizontal end rollers inside. Guess I'll have to try to make some. They're just straight shafts with pointed tips, I may can convert some old HO axles to do the same thing. Hmmm...Will have to measure them.

Jerry

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 09 2020 :  12:33:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Interesting animated car. A different figure such as an animal can be substituted.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5776  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 09 2020 :  5:53:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Interesting...what ever happened to this project??
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: BN Tyco Gondola in real life! Topic Next Topic: Just a Few Streamliners...  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000