Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Animated box car
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Smoked Motor Topic Next Topic: TYCO TURBO TRAIN TRACTION TIRES  

Paul I
Switcher

Posted - January 09 2008 :  5:54:47 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Paul I to Buddylist
[:(!] I have a TYCO box car #T326A It a animated one with the brakeman that moves on top. The rubber bands are missing, I need some help on how to fix it and some information on what drives it, I think its from the 50's.
I hope someone can help or a telephone number of someone who can.
Thank you
Paul I
PS I will send a photo when I get it hooked up
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: January 02 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 03 2011 Alert Moderator 

pssinc
Switcher

Posted - November 01 2008 :  11:18:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pssinc to Buddylist
I have the same car and a similar question. Mine is missing the actual brakeman. I know that mine was purchased when I was a child around 1965-1966 or so.

I have not determined how to fix it but I think we have determined that there was a rubber band that went from one of the axles on the truck (the one truck has sort of rubberized axles) up through the body to one of the cross spindles. Then there was another rubber band that went from the cross spindle to the vertical spindle which drove the brakeman around the loop (one of these survived on mine). I don't know if he was attached to a 3rd rubber band around the vertical spindles or if there was a wire of some sort that went around the actual course at the top.

Hopefully this will help somewhat. I'd love to see a picture of the brakeman if you have one.

Thanks,
Steve
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2  ~  Member Since: November 01 2008  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2009 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - November 01 2008 :  3:36:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
Your on the right track, there is a large rubber band across the top two spindles, to attach the brakeman the car is assembled and the rubber band has to be pulled out of the top of the car. The small hook on the brakemans foot can then be attached to the rubber band.
I have both the TH&B and the MStL cars, I have bought an assortment of rubber bands at a local drug store to repair the cars. It takes a little trial and error to find the right bands but it's possible to make the cars work. As for a brakeman, I think any HO scale figure will work. A decent sized staple straightened on one side, then heated and inserted into the foot of the figure might make a new brakeman.
Both of my cars were working but the bands have broken and it's time to replace the bands.
Hope tis helps.................Tom
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - November 02 2008 :  9:46:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
I had sometime to start fixing the brakeman car. The first photo shows one side of the car with the rubber bands in place. The first rubber band to be installed is the band that connects the cross bar and the spindle. To attach the band remove the cross bar and spindle. Gently bend back the metal piece at the bottom of the spindle to remove it from it's mount. Place the band onto the spindle and replace it in it's mount. Take the crossbar and slide it throught the rubber band. Replace the crossbar. The second pic has a lame attempt on my part to add text to the pic for clarity.

Attachment: bluebands1.JPG ( 397082bytes )
I think this file is to large to display but it downloads.

The next pic is of the bottom of the car to show the 2 bands on the axles of the trucks, followed by a shot of the spindle to crossbar band.

The next pic is of the car with the top band in place. This is the one the brakeman rides on.

To test the car prior to assembly I mark the rubber bands with a Sharpie and push the car on the track. Watch the marks on the bands to insure they are moving. If they are then proceed, if not the bands are be to tight. This is where the trial and error comes in. Work backwards from the top band, remove it and test again. If the axle and spindle bands are moving then the top band is to tight. Find a larger rubber band for the top. Follow this method and change any bands until all bands are moving.
The brakeman is attached after the car is assembled. After assembly find something to pull one side of the top rubber band out of the slot on top of the car. I use a dental pic, tweezers or someting of that nature might work. Carefully spread open the clip on the brakemans foot, slip the clip onto the rubber band and clamp it with pliers to secure the clip to the rubber band.

Now the brakeman is ready to hit the rails. Hope this helps anyone out there trying to fix this car.
The last pic is of the brakeman on top of the car which is unassembled.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pierce
Big Six

Posted - November 03 2008 :  2:11:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pierce to Buddylist
Paul/Everyone,

I have the exact Tyco replacement rubberband kit still new in the bag. I am sure the rubberbands are probly shot but I can measure them and give you lengths and thickness when I get home in 3 weeks. If you can not seem to find them I will look and see if I have anymore. Will post pictures of the kit when I get home.

Adam
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 204  ~  Member Since: August 19 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 21 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

pssinc
Switcher

Posted - October 20 2009 :  11:58:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pssinc to Buddylist
Thanks for the pics. That does help. I'll have to take a shot at fixing mine again now.

Thanks,
Steve
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2  ~  Member Since: November 01 2008  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2009 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 21 2009 :  11:28:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
rubber bands?? Wouldn't belts from a VCR or a tape deck work better? or do they have to be rubber bands? Yes I like the car it reminds me of the Lionel Action Cars that are 027
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Smoked Motor Topic Next Topic: TYCO TURBO TRAIN TRACTION TIRES  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000