Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Anyone here ever hear from Carl aka VintageHO?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: JOTW - Sept 14 to Sept 20, 2014 Topic Next Topic: JOTW - Sept 21 to Sept 28, 2014  

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - September 23 2014 :  10:38:08 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Hello Group,

I was just checking some past posts and I noticed Carl has not posted since some time back in 2010. He had a lot of very nice vintage models and a lot of interesting offerings. I was hoping to contact him to see if maybe he can help me identify a mystery piece I have, but even his email address was returned non-deliverable.

Does anyone have any information as to what may have happened to him? I know he was from New Cumberland PA and that is all I know.

Sincerely,

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator 

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - September 23 2014 :  12:55:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
I reached out to him, what, it must have been 18 months ago...(?) back when I was still around more, and when I'd noticed he hadn't been. Sent him a couple PMs since I had no other way to reach him. I might have asked a couple other members privately as well. I didn't have anything specific to ask him per se, but I always enjoyed and was missing his posts.

I've not heard back.

I do hope he's OK... or at least knows (knew) he was appreciated. For someone who seemed to have and/or know everything, he always bore a quiet gentle wisdom and approach to his posts that struck me as the gift of an older generation. So I hope he's still kicking... but wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't. What a loss that would be. We've had other members go quietly and suddenly, get caught up in things and the like, but usually not for so long.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 23 2014 :  1:08:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yeah I was curious myself what happened to him myself
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - September 23 2014 :  1:56:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Thanks Tony.

Hey, did you get my last email reply to you?? I replied to your request for parts, but never heard back.

I had someone buy from me last year in New Cumberland PA, where Carl lived, so I put out a message to him as well to see if he knew of Carl.

The reason for my search was I was hoping he could help me identify a mystery brass locomotive I recently purchased. It is a cast brass GG1, bu it does not have any of the typical casting marks of either the Schrader (a brass GG1 Carle shared on a past LOTW post) or a George Stock (a brass GG1 I own already). Being brass or bronze, it also eliminates almost all of the other manufacturers of cast GG1s that I can thik of... Penn Line, FAMOCO & GHC.. If anyone in this forum seemed to have a chance at knowing, it would have been either Carl or the late George Bennett who both possessed a vast knowledge of the vintage HO stuff.

I figured I would post it as a mystery identification topic, but I wanted to try and do some investigation on my own.

I have one other person I may call to see if he can help me out, but he has been very ill himself and may not be able.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!

Edited by - Mustangs_n_Trains on September 23 2014 4:22:23 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - September 23 2014 :  4:24:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Hi Sean, I got your reply and thank you. Unfortunately between everything else, I haven't even dug the stuff out again to confirm the needs and questions, yet. I know you're busy so I figured I wouldn't spam you a reply just to say "stand by for the "real" one in the future..."

The screws on the roof have to be a clue. How is the drive mounted and what type is it? I google-imaged "Shorty / vintage GG1" and got a few oddballs but nothing exact. Hooray for a rare slow day in the office...

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

waw47
Hudson

Posted - September 23 2014 :  5:56:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add waw47 to Buddylist
My guess is George Stock. There are two versions of the Stock GG1, Pre-War and Post War. Stock GG1s have screws in the roof. I don't know of anyone else who made cast GG1s other than the ones you mention.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 466  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: JOTW - Sept 14 to Sept 20, 2014 Topic Next Topic: JOTW - Sept 21 to Sept 28, 2014  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000