Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 JOTW - Sept 21 to Sept 28, 2014
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Anyone here ever hear from Carl aka VintageHO? Topic Next Topic: Real Wheels: There Goes a Train!  

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - September 21 2014 :  11:09:33 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
This is my offering for JOTW

Included are two AC first generation Tenshodo die cast & brass 0-6-0 locos!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator 

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 22 2014 :  12:32:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Thanks to Jerry starting the junk of the week thread, I went to the basement to look thru my small box of pieces that I have left from my 70s layout. I had always thought it would be cool to find something from the junk box that I could use, but I had remembered that the 15 or 20 pieces I have are broken, incomplete, broken steps, etc.

BUT there it was!! My old piggyback truck terminal ramp in good condition other than a lot of the paint was faded away from age and poor storage conditions for almost 40 years.

Here it is... The one piece of Tyco that will be used on both of my layouts! I have some concrete colored paint I wanna spray it with...

Edited by - walt on September 22 2014 12:37:16 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 22 2014 :  10:10:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Alright, I'll post more of my junk.Anyway, my JOTW this week is an old Bachmann caboose that I use for parts as you'll see in the picture.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 22 2014 :  7:14:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
NOTICE - I think Walt hit upon an excellent phrase when he posted in this JOTW thread. I think instead of calling this Junk of the Week, it should henceforth be known as Junkbox of the Week, emphasizing that it's the box that is meant for junk, but that what is inside it is not necessarily truly "junk". Yet. A little difference to our project material that may not be quite ready for the trash-heap just yet. And a little more respect for the items posted. All in favor, just keep posting.
My Junkbox special this week is a newly-arrived steam project. Don't think I have this one, not sure who made it, the bottom plate and drivers are gone. Looks to be in decent shape otherwise. Will have to see if I can find some parts to get it going again, if it runs at all.
Jerry

[

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 22 2014 :  7:18:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks to Jerry starting the junk of the week thread, I went to the basement to look thru my small box of pieces that I have left from my 70s layout. ...

BUT there it was!! My old piggyback truck terminal ramp in good condition

Originally posted by walt - September 22 2014 :  12:32:54 AM

Glad I inspired some rummaging and re-purposing of stuff! Sometimes we just need to go back through old collections, as we don't always remember what we have. I know I don't! I find "new" stuff all the time in the basement when I sort stuff after several years worth of collecting. I finally got most of my Auto Loaders together a few weeks ago, and have gotten through that project pretty quickly. Hope to finish the last 3-4 cars I want to convert in the next few weeks, just been too tired after some marathon yardwork days lately that needed doing. Anyway, I will probably be using a few of those Tyco ramps myself, I just found two of them a couple weeks ago in an unmarked box. Sweet....

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 22 2014 :  8:53:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well I do wanna get rid of the junk I has anyway
why?
1 already found car/loco in better running shape
2 something I bought cause it was CHEAP
3 got too many of same car/loco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14694  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - September 22 2014 :  9:15:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
Wow! Some great stuff here. I think I would hesitate to call any of this "junk"!
Well, I certainly have plenty of my own contributions to this thread, if I ever get around to taking pictures of the contents of my junk box(boxes).
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - September 22 2014 :  10:12:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
junk [juhngk] noun - anything that is regarded as worthless, meaningless, or contemptible

To this I would add "in it's present state." By this definition, the stuff in this thread is indeed junk. But appropriately alter it's state, and it becomes valuable, meaningful, admirable. So I say that "Junk Of the Week" is an fitting title.

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 23 2014 :  12:20:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
NOTICE - I think Walt hit upon an excellent phrase when he posted in the 2nd JOTW thread. I think instead of calling this Junk of the Week, it will henceforth be known as Junkbox of the Week, emphasizing that it's the box that is meant for junk, but that what is inside it is not necessarily truly "junk". Yet. A little difference to our project material that may not be quite ready for the trash-heap just yet. And a little more respect for the items posted. All in favor, just keep posting.

Jerry

Good call, Jerry. You know I just feel bad about calling this stuff of mine "junk" because these very same pieces was my life for several years! I woke up every morning as a kid, to run my trains and slot cars!!

Glenn listed the definition of junk and I realized why I have had this box of unusable parts for 40 years. The word MEANINGLESS, was not applicable to my box of pieces... I believe these pieces were my link (memories) of the fun I had as a kid... They did have meaning! and my box will not become "junk", until my life ends...

BELOW, is the ramp that I posted yesterday. I spent a few minutes today, cleaned it, scuffed it with a scotch pad, and sprayed a couple of coats of paint on it. Will add more paint detail in the future. This piece was last used on my layout in 1977... and will now find a home on my present layout some 37 years later!

Edited by - walt on September 23 2014 12:51:25 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - September 23 2014 :  02:17:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
The NYC 0-4-0 with no wheels is Life-Like. Very common for the main gear to crack on them. They made it off and on for a long time - it's a plastic clone of the New One imported by Silvine and possibly Aristo-Craft also.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 23 2014 :  07:44:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
The NYC 0-4-0 with no wheels is Life-Like. Very common for the main gear to crack on them.

Originally posted by lvrr325 - September 23 2014 :  02:17:03 AM

Thanks for the ID, Lvrr325. I don't have as many Life Like engines as I do others, especially steam, so I'm not familiar with them as much. Duly noted.

Jerry

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 23 2014 :  07:49:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
One thing I like about ths JOTW thread is that it gets unusual stuff out of people's collections and shines a spotlight on it. Never know what people may have kept for re-use or parts. sometimes it's not all about the thoroughbreds, it can be about the workhorses as well. They deserve a little respect and admiration as well on occasion. Hopefully this thread will continue, as I'm sure we ALL have those special boxes full of misc. stuff that we must have cared about, or we wouldn't have saved them. It's nice to see a showcase home, but occasionally you want to peek in someone's closet to see what's hidden, too.

Jerry

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 23 2014 :  1:06:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yeah the 0-4-0T is called a Old Time Teakettle loco according to Life-Like
One of the suggestions in that old L-L hint mag was to use it on a tourist line
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14694  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Anyone here ever hear from Carl aka VintageHO? Topic Next Topic: Real Wheels: There Goes a Train!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000