Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Adding Tender Pick Up?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bachmann and Tyco HOn30 conversions Topic Next Topic: An Old MOW Flat Car  

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - August 03 2014 :  8:12:23 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I want to use a bachmann overland 4-8-4 tender on a Mantua. How do I go about adding pick up? What wheel sets will fit in there that picks up power on one side only? I was thinking of wiring in a pair of wipers. The wheels is what got me!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - August 03 2014 :  8:40:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Wheels maybe 36". Don't look as if they're 33".
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - August 05 2014 :  9:59:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
Can you measure the wheels with a dial caliper?

And maybe post a picture of the tender underside?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 06 2014 :  07:54:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Many older tenders had brass or insulated wheels on them for pick-up. Might be worth picking up some used tenders at the next show. I don't know if insulated wheel sets for one side only are sold in sets, to tell the truth. Interesting question.

Jerry from and in VA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 06 2014 :  3:34:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/HO-Scale-Trucks-Wheelsets-s/1469.htm?searching=Y&sort=3&cat=1469&show=30&page=1&brand=Intermountain

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Tangent-Scale-Models-HO-36-Metal-Wheel-Sets-12-p/tsm-122.htm

Steer clear of P2K wheels, since their plastic axles rule out axle wipers.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 08 2014 :  5:06:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I just had a chance to look at a Bachmann tender to which I added metal wheels a while back, but never got any farther with it. It was from a pre-spectrum Reading 2-8-0. Originally, it had plastic wheels in some fairly large diameter. The axles were not very pointed on the end, but more rounded. It looks like I reamed out the journals to a cone shape using an exxact socket tool (http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Reboxx-HO-T-100-Exxact-Socket-Tool-p/rbx-t100.htm) and added some brass, one-side-insulated 36" wheelsets from Northwest Shortline. The original wheels were even bigger than that, so the coupler ends up a bit low, but I'll adjust that higher. When I converted it to Kadees, I used a shim to adjust it lower, so I think I can just go back and remove the shim.

Also, I'll add phosphor bronze pickup wipers to the axles and tie them in with the tender frame using flexible wire.

I don't know if any of this helps, because I don't know whether your tender is designed along the same lines as the one on the 2-8-0, but in case it is, I figured I'd throw the information out there.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Helm
Little Six

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - August 18 2014 :  09:41:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Helm to Buddylist
I came across this article for upgrading the Bachmann 4-4-0, which I intend to do when I get around to it. However, it's a good tutorial on adding tender pick-up using readily available Kadee wheels and coupler springs.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1879/bachmann_4-4-0/sound/

Rich
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 138  ~  Member Since: October 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Bachmann and Tyco HOn30 conversions Topic Next Topic: An Old MOW Flat Car  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000