Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Customized Covered Gondola Car
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: An Old MOW Flat Car Topic Next Topic: NWSL Gear Box  

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - August 02 2014 :  4:04:43 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
Well, this time, I took an old Athearn BB (what else!) covered gondola, lettered for the Southern Ry, and repainted it/ relettered it as belonging to a fictitious "Metropolitan Belt Line Transfer Ry." that might exist (as does the Minnesota Commercial RR in Mpls-St. Paul) in a large urban area to move loaded freight cars of various sorts between one railroad's end point and another's over a short distance, often between rail yards or local industrial areas.

I know there are several "Belt Line" railroad names floating around, so I made mine fairly "generic" with the addition of the name "Metropolitan".

The original:

There is nothing exceptional (other than the painstaking process of placing individual decal letters on the car sides) about this build, except that I noticed there were vertical ladder rails at on alternate side of the car at the end, but no rungs. I took .040 solid rod styrene and used a flat-bladed plier to compress each end of a rod segment, to "suggest" the flattened bolt hole connection point, which I then squared off and glued on the vertical rails of the molded-on ladder. Of course, there is a scale issue, as 87 x .040 = 3.48 inches in diameter, and you would need one helluva big mitt to grip that bar!. Next time, I will use CA cement and smaller piano wire that scales more appropriately. But- at the 3 foot rule- things look okay to me.

Siouxlake Ron

Next up- another "famous company name" fictitious box car.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator 

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - August 02 2014 :  7:21:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Very Nice job!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - August 04 2014 :  12:29:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
I'll second Walt on that.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AntonioFP45
Switcher

ACLAvatar

Posted - August 05 2014 :  08:40:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AntonioFP45 to Buddylist
Ron,

Very well and realistically done! The lettering is straight and looks like silk screening by a model manufacturer. Good work with the styrene rod.

I'm intrigued that you used this particular attractive yellow formula as it has an "industrial appearance" and stirs up memories for me. During the 1970s a very similar shade of yellow was utilized by a commercial trucking company in the Tampa Bay area that had a large fleet of open top gondola styled trailers. They serviced the Port of Tampa alongside Seaboard Coast Line hoppers and gons as well.

Be creative, share and enjoy the hobby :-)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 32  ~  Member Since: July 23 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 20 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - August 05 2014 :  7:42:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
Tony:

The color is a Krylon Gloss spray paint called "Bright Idea". I was originally planning to use it on one of my Plymouth MDT's to represent the color of corn- a paler sort of yellow, but had trouble with it being applied over standard Wal-Mart gray primer. I later learned about using flat white for the very light colors (light blues, light yellows, etc.) as a primer base. When I did so on this model, it came out very well. Lesson learned!

Ron
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: An Old MOW Flat Car Topic Next Topic: NWSL Gear Box  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000