Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 19 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW July 6 - July 13, 2014
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW July 27 - August 2 Topic Next Topic: LOTW June 28 - July 5  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 06 2014 :  03:22:14 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Twist on a fallen flag. AHM C-liner and AHM coaches, former Daylights.

Having wrestled with you tube, I think I got it fixed now. This video of this train is a
spoof on the iconic Western: "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."

Now to see it in motion, click on the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykT39gJTQtg#t=12

Edited by - Chops124 on July 06 2014 12:22:29 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 06 2014 :  09:23:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Well, interesting LOTW intro from Chops. Not sure if I should continue posting in THIS thread, but I guess I will. My loco of the week is a "yesterday" acquisition, passing through some antique stores I ran across some boxes of trains, I found hidden in the bottom of a box this nice steamer, a 4-6-4 by Tenshodo, brass. I also picked out an Athearn RDC-1 (with box), a Revell track cleaning car ( with box, one broken truck missing parts ), and a strange GP-9 with rubber tube driveshaft and open frame motor, got it all for $100. Figured I didn't get hurt too badly, especially with the brass engine. Haven't tried to run anything yet. The tender is missing two axles, so will have to locate some replacements. Otherwise it appears to be in good shape, not missing chunks or beat up any. The front boiler cover was missing but one of the guys in the shop said he's seen it, and dug it out from the bottom of another box. That would have been hard to replace. Axles not so much. Anyway, another cool piece to join my growing brass collection.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - July 06 2014 :  12:34:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Great find Jerry!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 06 2014 :  5:13:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
My working ATSF Tyco switcher that was in the $5 box

mmm yup Am using VGA mode on my cam from now on
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - July 06 2014 :  6:42:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Another yard sale rescue. My LOTW is a Tyco Rock Island Alco C430. I decided to see how it would look if I tried to detail it up a bit. It was in pretty sad shape when I got it, and I left some of the abuse as free 'weathering'.
This unit is a dummy I did another shell similar to this with a different road number (no, not 4301) and also working on an upgraded Tyco RI caboose. When i find a suitable drive for the other shell I'll post the set under SOTW.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - July 06 2014 :  6:45:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi jerry snap ken
tenshodo nyc j3 hudson
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 06 2014 :  7:17:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
hi jerry snap ken
tenshodo nyc j3 hudson

Originally posted by catfordken - July 06 2014 :  6:45:53 PM

Hey, thanks for the quick ID, Ken! I'll be doing a bit of research on mine with that info.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 06 2014 :  7:35:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
I found hidden in the bottom of a box this nice steamer, a 4-6-4 by Tenshodo, brass. The tender is missing two axles, so will have to locate some replacements.
Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - July 06 2014 :  09:23:35 AM

I can only see the pictures just so well, but those tender trucks appear to be 3-axle trucks. While you're looking for replacement wheel sets, you might need to scare up four of them.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 06 2014 :  9:18:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
My LOTW is an Athearn custom painted GP loco. I might've already posted this thing to the LOTW section but just in case, I'm posting this thing. (again?) Plus, I lost my cord for the phone I take pictures with so there's that too. I might be able to take a couple more pictures without the cord though.Don't worry, I'm getting a new phone cord sometime this week for it.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on July 06 2014 9:19:26 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - July 06 2014 :  10:26:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
My LOTW is an Athearn custom painted GP loco. I might've already posted this thing to the LOTW section but just in case, I'm posting this thing. (again?) Plus, I lost my cord for the phone I take pictures with so there's that too. I might be able to take a couple more pictures without the cord though.Don't worry, I'm getting a new phone cord sometime this week for it.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - July 06 2014 :  9:18:46 PM

Now this I do remember seeing here before in the LOTW's. A fine looking geep at any rate

Also, Jerry - post a closeup of the tender trucks and I'll check if I have anything - I got a whole box of parts recently (time capsule from about 1960 or so, nothing newer) including about a kilo of old wheelsets that might have some that match.

--CRC
Edited by - PRR 4800 on July 07 2014 09:31:26 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - July 06 2014 :  11:00:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Love that video Chops, I especially like the work camp scene on the layout, I was hoping that the popsicle train would stop for the track workers. Everybody has some no nonsense locos posted this week, keep em coming
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - July 06 2014 :  11:46:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist

My LOTW is T&RGRR #12 a slightly modified Bachmann 0-6-0 with MDC slope oil tender

Regards, John ******************

I must study politics and war - that my sons may have liberty - to study mathematics and philosophy. <>John Adams
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 07 2014 :  07:24:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** Well Jerry and Ken, my Tenshodo J1a Hudson needs just a little more work to get going.
Frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on July 07 2014 07:25:24 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 07 2014 :  11:33:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
** Well Jerry and Ken, my Tenshodo J1a Hudson needs just a little more work to get going.
Frank

Originally posted by toptrain - July 07 2014 :  07:24:13 AM

And by that you mean a lot of work.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - July 07 2014 :  1:05:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
Another E unit, this time in CB&Q

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 07 2014 :  1:13:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Could be Stephen. If I could get a middle driver set, with a complete tower gear assembly and a output shaft, it would run. Need paint and a tender but that is incidental to the parts. I have some Hudson tenders. Being a early, 1940 HO large loco ( double O in size ) I would need a Gilbert Hudson tender for it was that sized also. I have two of them.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on July 07 2014 1:14:22 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 07 2014 :  2:13:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
* Could be Stephen. If I could get a middle driver set, with a complete tower gear assembly and a output shaft, it would run. Need paint and a tender but that is incidental to the parts. I have some Hudson tenders. Being a early, 1940 HO large loco ( double O in size ) I would need a Gilbert Hudson tender for it was that sized also. I have two of them.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - July 07 2014 :  1:13:09 PM

Oh, okay. It does look like it's not that hard to get the actual motor running.It looks very fixable, even in it's current sorry state.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on July 07 2014 2:14:18 PM

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - July 07 2014 :  9:05:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
John, Nice Bachmann with the T&RG scheme. Nice thing about those Bachmanns is that they take no power from the tender, so you have a lot of freedom to customize a tender. Here are two that can run behind my 0-6-0.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 07 2014 :  9:16:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Ok, PRR, here's the close-up of the tender truck and axle(s). sscshaggy was correct, they are 3-axle trucks, and I'm missing 4 of them Let me know if you find anything close you could sell me.

Jerry

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - July 08 2014 :  11:37:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
My LOTW is a sorta 3-fer... Purchased this weekend as a group...

A Knapp boiler shell.
A Mantua Pre-WWII 4-6-2 Reading Pacific chassis, &
A Mantua Pre-WWII 4-8-2 Mountain Mechanism chassis (these were sold as chassis only and Mantua never produced a boiler for them. The were apparently available as special order only and never hit the hobby store shelves.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jbsmith966
Big Six

Scooter, with a 75mm Recoiless Rifle !

Posted - July 09 2014 :  7:48:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jbsmith966 to Buddylist
quote:

Having wrestled with you tube, I think I got it fixed now. This video of this train is a

One look at your photo, and it was like Deja Vu all over again!
I have SEEN this same Penn Central passenger train before,,in a movie.

The movie is " The Last Detail " staring Jack Nicholson, Otis Young and Randy Quaid.

A part of the movie takes part on the train.
Skip ahead to 22:12 on the timer to see just one of the shots of the train

At 40:30 on the timer, a shot of a Penn Central electric locomotive at the train station, followed immediately by another shot of the diesel train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2fP3C7AH2M

Edited by - jbsmith966 on July 09 2014 8:13:11 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 245  ~  Member Since: May 05 2010  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 09 2014 :  10:00:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Looks just like it actually.That's most likely where Chops got the idea for the whole train.
-Steve

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - July 10 2014 :  12:26:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

One look at your photo, and it was like Deja Vu all over again!
I have SEEN this same Penn Central passenger train before,,in a movie.

The movie is " The Last Detail " staring Jack Nicholson, Otis Young and Randy Quaid.

A part of the movie takes part on the train.
Skip ahead to 22:12 on the timer to see just one of the shots of the train

At 40:30 on the timer, a shot of a Penn Central electric locomotive at the train station, followed immediately by another shot of the diesel train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2fP3C7AH2M

Originally posted by jbsmith966 - July 09 2014 :  7:48:10 PM

Went and checked out the footage... it never fails to amaze me how awful the PC let their E8's, GG1's and everything else get to looking. The only thing missing was the graffiti on the coaches!

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW July 27 - August 2 Topic Next Topic: LOTW June 28 - July 5  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000