Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 10 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 Why do you like collecting older model trains?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: who do you like best Topic Next Topic: Steam or Diesel  

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 25 2014 :  12:11:22 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Exactly what the title says. The reason why I like getting older model train equipment at train shows is because I love seeing the technology and they just have some sort of charm that newer model trains don't have. Even if some of the older once can be really bad. Even if they don't work, a lot of times you can still get them usable again and make them as good as they were when they were brand new or even better.I also like the thrill of finding something awesome at a train show or a bin filled with model train related stuff I get donated to me by my train group.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on June 25 2014 12:11:46 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator 

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - June 25 2014 :  01:37:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I collect the older Tyco trains because I had them as a kid in the early 1970s, Had a few Life-Like buildings and couple AHM pieces back then too. Had a Tyco slot car track mixed with my trains. Gave it all up in 1976 when my drivers license was issued, but I always had memories of the years of fun that I and others, had with my old layout.

Around 1999, I found that ebay had hundreds of Tyco train listings... The bidding started right then. Soon after I had made up plans on paper for a large future "dream layout"... wondering if I'd ever have room needed for this.

I am currently, living that dream... of putting this layout together...

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 25 2014 :  10:28:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I collect the older Tyco trains because I had them as a kid in the early 1970s, Had a few Life-Like buildings and couple AHM pieces back then too. Had a Tyco slot car track mixed with my trains. Gave it all up in 1976 when my drivers license was issued, but I always had memories of the years of fun that I and others, had with my old layout.

Around 1999, I found that ebay had hundreds of Tyco train listings... The bidding started right then. Soon after I had made up plans on paper for a large future "dream layout"... wondering if I'd ever have room needed for this.

I am currently, living that dream... of putting this layout together...

Originally posted by walt - June 25 2014 :  01:37:12 AM

I've seen your layout in one of the threads here not so long ago on your progress on it. I may have already said this but it doesn't look too bad.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - June 25 2014 :  11:48:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
If you ask my wife... I just like old sh*t! Then I reply.. "Well, that must be why I like you!" That always gets me a nice look.

I just think there is something fascinating about the older metal models. Be it brass or die cast. The more added detail the better. If it is hand made and done well, even better! The molded on details turn me off. Even as a teen in the mid 80's, I often found myself shaving off the molded on grab irons on all my freight cars and bent and installed my own metal wire grab irons. Because I did not have access to hobby stores or money for that matter, I often used whatever materials I could scrounge. If that meant the wire was soft and easily bent to the touch, so be it.

My old freight cars, I prefer to be made from wood, if that is what they are being made to represent anyway. The plastic wood look has no appeal to me.

Now, as I have gotten older, I have grown to appreciate the very early production models. Often times, this stuff has become so rare and even nearly forgotten. Some pieces are so old and rare that those who knew of their existence have since moved on and there are very few around now who know much about them. Those pieces I love to find.

Take for instance these:

Super Rare 1937 Walthers 4-6-4 Brass HO Baltic Steam Locomotive

This was the very first HO scale locomotive kit ever produced. Fitting that I start with it I suppose.

SAKURA JAPAN IMPORT / PENN LINE 0-4-0 D2 MINI DIESEL LOCOMOTIVE SWITCHER

Some history on Sakura as quoted from an email received from one of the authors/editors of the Brown Book on Brass...

quote:
"Their company name in Japan is Nikko Model Works. The founder was Mr. Kondo (I don't know his first name. we always call of him "Dad Kondo"). They are skillful die-casting manufacturer serving to Tenshodo for nearly 60 years from after the first job, the gear box for the FT Diesel.

Their works in Tenshodo' s model are almost as follows;

< All of the die-cast gear box, both for the diesel and the steam
< Trucks for the streamlined ' shorty' passenger cars and 2-axle trucks for the ebonite NYC HW passenger cars
< Tender trucks for the U.S.R.A., Rock Island and the C&O/N&W 0-8-0s as well as the SP P-5 4-6-2
< Sprung Archbar and Bettendorf for the freight cars
< 'Baldwin' 0-6-0T----The prototype was not 'By Baldwin'. 'Pittsburg Locomotive Works' is correct
< 3-axle sprung truck for the brass 200t crane and the heavy duty depressed flat car
< Trucks for the GN Y-1 electric engine
< Almost all drivers of the steam engine by Tenshodo

Elder Kondo had managed the company and his younger brother controlled the workshop. Even today, younger Kondo still continue the workshop mainly for Tenshodo. Maybe, he has the top skill of die-casting in the model trains business over the world even now. He is also supplying many of domestic prototype truck for our market through the Nikko Model which is controlled by the elder Kondo's sons.

About 'Sakura'; The elder Kondo also had good sense for model making but had lacked the knowledge or the sense for the copyright. In early of 1960s, other from the business with Tenshodo, he went to seek the chance becoming the independent exporter of the model trains. I suppose that he had imaged of the Fleishman of Germany which was exporting the die-cast steam engines to the U.S. market at that time.

He copied the Varney's B&O 'Dockside' completely and pushed it to the P.F.M. May be, he came to know that the Varney ceased the business at that time.

About the full copy of the Penn Line diesel, while I don't know what importer bought it, I remember their advertising in the domestic model train magazine at that time.

It was so crazy that he also made the complete copy of the Karee #4 coupler and supplied the products into the Japanese market at nearly 50% of the price which Tenshodo put at that time,.

It had been continued for nearly a year or more until Tenshodo realized his un-behaved job. At that time, Tenshodo was the exclusive wholesaler of the Kadee coupler in Japan. They had this business through the P.F.M. We had called Mr. Kondo's couplers "Fake Kadee" at that time. After that, the Kadee went to print their patents over the world on the surface of their package

In other hand, Mr. Kondo waved un-officially to the craftsman who contracted with the Mr. Furuya of the Fujiya, and ordered the C&NW Class H-1 in 1963 and the NYC J3a 4-6-4 with the centipede tender in 1964 He sold these to the P.F.M. with the name of "SAKURA".

These ill-behaved business by Mr. Kondo had been stopped with Mr. his sudden death in late 1960s.

Today, Kondo family would not have much talk about "Sakura", but I had heard the story of Sakura business mainly from late Mr. Furuya of the Fujiyama.

I also had been told from younger Kondo about the history of the family business. Their ancestor had been the craftsman of the hand-made guns from the Edo-period which your old coin had been used. So, they could have much knowledge about the iron and engraving techs for it and had turned to casting job after the Pacific War, as the hand-made gun become hard to make under the new low.

This is the whole story which I know about "Sakura". Maybe, no people in the U.S.A. know this story after Mr. Drew of the P.F.M.'s passing-away, except Mr.John Glaab of The Brown Book whom I once told same story.

I hope this will help your study.

Best regards

Kenichi" (Matsumoto)

Then these: Kemtron PUFFERBELLY C&NW Pioneer HO Scale Brass Steam Locomotives:

I was lucky to find these and to find out most of the parts I need to complete them are still available from Precision Scale. I was lucky to obtain the boilers as those parts are no longer available.

Or these two LINDSAY & KEMTRON BRASS TOONERVILLE TROLLEYS!

This limited production Rare Athearn 1962 International Minerals and Chemical was Athearn's first promotional set.. I have 2.5 of them and no one knows the true production number:

One of my collection favorites is this first Penn Line production piece... Penn Line Crusader 4-6-2 Streamlined Pacific Steam Locomotive! Restored beautifully by our own Tony Lucio!!!

Its piece like this Pre-Production Hand Made Tenshodo Northern Pacific MINNETONKA HO Scale 0-4-0 Brass Steam Locomotive that keep me searching for more every day...

When I found it, I sent an email to Kenichi Matsumoto asking if he could identify it for me as I had never seen anything like it before. I was thinking it was a Ken Kidder model when i purchased it, but when it arrived, I was no longer convinced..

This HO scale model locomotive has two historic names. "Betsy" of the Polson Logging Co locomotive and it originally was the Northern Pacific "Minnetonka".

The Minnetonka was built by Smith and Porter, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (my hometown), in 1869. It was sold for $6700 to the North Pacific Railroad in 1870 to be used to help build the transcontinental railroad. In 1886 the wood-burning locomotive was sold to the Polson Logging Company, Hoquiam, Washington. It was used to pull log trains. They named her "Old Betsy". In 1920 the locomotive was found in the woods rusting away like a discarded bunch of scrap. In 1933 Northern Pacific purchased and restored it for display at various civic functions. When BNSF took over, "Old Betsy" was placed on permanent loan to the Lake Superior Railroad Museum in Duluth, Minnesota. Today it is on public display looking like a brand new Minnetonka, named after Minnetonka, Minnesota.

I purchased the model last week in eBay for $45 total inc s/h. When I saw it, I had recognized the similarities with other Ken Kidder models, but I had never before seen this exact model. I did not look close enough to notice that it was hand made. This can be seen in the rivet details not being perfectly spaced and aligned like a machine would do.

This is what Kenichi sent:

quote:

"Hi, Sean

I had seen the similar model once when I had edited "The Tenshodo Book". The model is preserved in the guest room of Tenshodo, today. I have never seen other piece in Japan.

The model was hand-made by a craftsman who had the contract with the Tenshodo in early stage of their business. It is seemed that the model was resembled to the Northern Pacific's old engine "Minetonkka" which is displayed in the museum in Duluth, Minn, today.

Tenshodo established their model division in 1949. At their starting of the business, they do not have any of the production model except the Dye-casting 0-6-0 tank engine by the New-one Models which I have purchased from you recently.

So they had to made many types of the true hand-built model using various of sub-contractor who were amateur craftsmen. They hand-built each model few pieces up to 10, normally 3-5 pieces. They always did the jobs in full scratch not using Dye-pressing or etching as well as casing parts.

In this model, you can see any of the riveting by hand punched one by one.

At that time, the most of the customer of the Tenshodo were the person in the U.S. Military which was occupied Japan. Not only the own project, Tenshodo had accepted the custom order from these good customers.

Even in Tenshodo, there is no record what types had hand-made in those days, because their hand made craftsmen often finished the order, sometimes, every week.

In the Kawai or the Tetsudo Mokeisha, they also did such type of hand-built accepting the custom orders by the U.S. military person. Some times, one craftsman sold same type of his craft to 2-3 hobbyshops as the contract was so-loose because of not-using any of supplied-parts from their parent company.

Such type hand-built models had lasted to 1952 or 1953. It is seemed that the Ken-Kidder or the International also had purchased these "Un-registered" models in their very early stage through Tenshodo or Tetsudo Mokeisyha.

Then, around 1954-1955, the brass model business turned to "Production model days" such as the FT diesels by Tenshodo or the South Shore steeple cab electric by Kawai.

This is the story which I know about the model you asks me. I believe the model is quite valuable because it is just historical piece in the brass models, beyond the price.

I hope this will help your study even a littele bit.

Best reagrds

Kenichi" (Kenichi Matsumoto)

Another one of my favorite finds was this early special order only production Mantua Pre-Post-WWII Brass & Cast Zimax Mountain Mechanism Kit:

They never produced a boiler for it and by the time the Mikado showed up in 1952, production of these kits was dead.

Then there are the super detailed and hand made pieces from modelers who I may never know...

Like this Scratchbuilt O Scale WM Challenger Class M-2 4-6-6-4 Steam Locomotive. I believe it was built by Herbert Walters, a clerk from the old Ma Websters hobby store in NYC, sometime in the early 1950's. Not a single cast piece other than the drivers & motor. Everything is hand or machine tooled.

It was listed as Misc trains parts and pieces... I paid ~$150 for it.

This neat scratchbuilt Brass 4-6-0 HO Scale Steam Locomotive was a recent addition to my collection:

Another exciting find piece was this Scratchbuilt / Kitbash 0-6-0 Brass Steam locomotive Switcher:

As far as I can tell, the chassis is a mix of hand made and Varney parts.

This next find sent me sky high for a couple days....

Ulrich Kenworth Inspection Truck w/ Scratchbuilt Powered Brass Trailer:

This next piece came as part of one of my first larger lot eBay purchases.. Mantua/kitbash brass boiler 2-6-6-2 Logging Loco. Made of diecast (chassis and cab) and machined brass (boiler and details). The smoke box cover is made to swing open and looks to be a Cal-Scale casting.

The engine is partially scratchbuilt and the rest is a kitbash of 2 Mantua 2-6-2 parts.

The logger was part of 17 steam locos and 14 tenders that were purchased on eBay as a "Lot of 31 Black Train Pieces" for $330 inc shipping/handling back in 2004-2005.

It was one of the very first larger train purchases I had made on eBay. Every engine in the lot was highly detailed like this one. Unfortunately the seller packed them all together with no packing in between each. All suffered some minor damage. I was not unhappy however since the seller was listing several more auctions and I was getting nearly them all at great prices. The lot contained approx 6 all brass or nearly all brass steam engines and tenders. I have sold only 3-4 of the smaller steam engines since and have regretted selling each one sold. Won't sell any more.

Other lots purchased from that seller:

Lot of ## Gray Train Pieces - All diesel engines - I might have 1-2 left, sold the rest.
Lot of 28 Red Train Pieces - All detailed cabooses - 8 of which have fully detailed interiors - one with fiber optic lighting is pictured here:

www.flickr.com/photos/9977705@N05/4286037846/in/set-72157...

The sad part is... I could go on with this thread all day... I have more pieces I love to share. I share them not to brag, not in any way. I am passionate about them and l love to share that passion. I love to see other people's rare finds and hope, if nothing else, by sharing them, I keep the spirits of their maker's alive in some way and inspire others to get excited about them and look for treasures of their own... and SHARE THEM TOO!!

They are out there... we just need to find them before they are tossed in someone's trash and lost for ever!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!

Edited by - Mustangs_n_Trains on June 25 2014 11:55:27 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 25 2014 :  12:14:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
cause I like finding the billboad/ad cars or locos & compare them to logos of today
& how much they have changed

Mustangs_n_Trains - am jealous & envious of your Crusader loco, the Toonerville Trolley & that inspection truck!
Kemtron made alot of neato stuffs back in the 1950s
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - June 25 2014 :  1:28:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist

[/quote]I've seen your layout in one of the threads here not so long ago on your progress on it. I may have already said this but it doesn't look too bad.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - June 25 2014 :  10:28:20 AM

[/quote]
Thank You, Stephen... My layout is quite naked right now to look much good.... Progress is slow with limited time on it. It will need a 150-200 more lights and a bunch of buildings and landscaping before it looks cool... I also never get in a big rush to finish a project to impress others.

I learned this many years ago in the street rod building business where people say, "when ya gonna get that done and bla bla bla". I've seen many car builders bothered by that BS, then they hurry up and "half ass" the project..
I always tell them, when I'm done you'll be the first one to know... These same people avoid me once done so they don't have to admit it looks super... I beLIEve this kind of activity is fed by envy...

Edited by - walt on June 25 2014 11:18:50 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 25 2014 :  3:17:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

I've seen your layout in one of the threads here not so long ago on your progress on it. I may have already said this but it doesn't look too bad.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - June 25 2014 :  10:28:20 AM

[/quote]
Thank You, Stephen... My layout is quite naked right now to look much good.... Progress is slow with limited time on it. It will need a 150-200 more lights and a bunch of buildings and landscaping before it looks cool... I also never get in a big rush to finish a project to impress others.

I learned this many years ago in the street rod building business where people say, "when ya gonna get that done and bla bla bla". I've seen many car builders bothered by that bullthe other dark meat, then they hurry up and "half ass" the project..
I always tell them, when I'm done you'll be the first one to know... These same people avoid me once done so they don't have to admit it looks super... I beLIEve this kind of activity is fed by envy...

Originally posted by walt - June 25 2014 :  1:28:12 PM

[/quote]What I meant when I said that it looks good is that according to your plans, it's going to turn out looking great. I apologize for the confusion.

-Steve

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - June 25 2014 :  4:10:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Oh, no problem Stephen. I didn't direct that towards You...or the forum members..

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - June 25 2014 :  5:38:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Me, it's nostalogia for me and I like the older stuff. If it's running after 40+ plus years. it'll double over. I really enjoy the older Varney steamers. Mantua's are nicer and some of the older stuff has a certain touch to them.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 25 2014 :  11:00:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Me, it's nostalogia for me and I like the older stuff. If it's running after 40+ plus years. it'll double over. I really enjoy the older Varney steamers. Mantua's are nicer and some of the older stuff has a certain touch to them.

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - June 25 2014 :  5:38:29 PM

Yeah. I actually like the Tyco/Mantuas better than the Tyco brown box stuff believe it or not.

-Steve

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 25 2014 :  11:31:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I like trains and old things, hence I like old trains. The visual styling of 40's-70's era anything is much more appealing to me than anything made today. I'm also fairly mechanically inclined and like the simplicity of older things (no computers or microchips to mess around with).

Streamliners are my favourite!

/tyco/forum/uploaded/DaCheez/Dx0Lr19.jpg
/tyco/forum/uploaded/DaCheez/C1wo5Cl.jpg

Up top is a Tyco set from the 60's, followed by a Grant set from the 50's. They don't quite ooze the same charm as Sean's trains, but still...

A couple of my other old things...

My '59 Predicta TV
/tyco/forum/uploaded/DaCheez/KP4Fw98.jpg

The glorious Conc!

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - June 25 2014 :  11:59:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice pix, Eric! Like the trains. TV is really cool ! Car looks to be in solid condition...

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 26 2014 :  12:18:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Thanks Walt! The car is in good shape and daily driven. I wish I could say the same for the TV. All the guts are in there though so maybe some day I'll find the time to bring her back to life. Not that I know anything about TV repair...
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 26 2014 :  12:37:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks Walt! The car is in good shape and daily driven. I wish I could say the same for the TV. All the guts are in there though so maybe some day I'll find the time to bring her back to life. Not that I know anything about TV repair...

Originally posted by DaCheez - June 26 2014 :  12:18:01 AM

That would be awesome!

-Steve

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 01 2014 :  9:33:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I have many reasons, foremost is that in many cases, you can't find an exact roadname or model produced currently, so you have to buy vintage to acquire something that no one else has produced. also I just like some of the older models over the more modern era pieces, as my interests lie in the 1950's to the 1980's. Most modern engines and rolling stock don't excite me. So, i stick with earlier vintage HO stuff. It has character.
DaCheez, nice AMC car! Looks to be in very good shape. Sadly, I've let mine go, time and lack of money are wearing on me and my cars, but I am still planning on getting my Pacer wagon and a Gremlin streetable this year.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 01 2014 :  11:30:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
It's a bit chilling to read, "When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up," under a picture shot from the peak of a really steep roof.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 02 2014 :  12:22:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
It's a bit chilling to read, "When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up," under a picture shot from the peak of a really steep roof.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - July 01 2014 :  11:30:44 PM

And the fact that all those cars look like they've slipped on some and rammed into a ton of miscellaneous objects.

-Steve

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - July 02 2014 :  12:15:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:

Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - July 01 2014 :  9:33:26 PM

Jerry?

Are you single?

I only ask cuz my wife would KILL me!! I could see me having a yard like that, but only filled with Mustangs!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 06 2014 :  5:30:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Sweet Pacer! I'd drive that

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - September 01 2014 :  12:14:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
I once worked at a service station in the St. Louis area. Customers would leave their cars overnight for state inspections and we would take them out cruising on weekend nights. Took one these AMC Concords out one night on a country road and got it airborne Dukes of Hazard style. Shhhhhh....don't tell anybody.
quote:
I like trains and old things, hence I like old trains. The visual styling of 40's-70's era anything is much more appealing to me than anything made today. I'm also fairly mechanically inclined and like the simplicity of older things (no computers or microchips to mess around with).

Streamliners are my favourite!

/tyco/forum/uploaded/DaCheez/Dx0Lr19.jpg
/tyco/forum/uploaded/DaCheez/C1wo5Cl.jpg

Up top is a Tyco set from the 60's, followed by a Grant set from the 50's. They don't quite ooze the same charm as Sean's trains, but still...

A couple of my other old things...

My '59 Predicta TV
/tyco/forum/uploaded/DaCheez/KP4Fw98.jpg

The glorious Conc!

Originally posted by DaCheez - June 25 2014 :  11:31:06 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 01 2014 :  01:00:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I once worked at a service station in the St. Louis area. Customers would leave their cars overnight for state inspections and we would take them out cruising on weekend nights. Took one these AMC Concords out one night on a country road and got it airborne Dukes of Hazard style. Shhhhhh....don't tell anybody. [quote]

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - September 01 2014 :  12:14:01 AM

Oh, don't worry, we as in this forum won't.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on September 01 2014 01:01:51 AM

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 01 2014 :  11:55:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Sean, no, I'm not single. My wife WANTS to kill me, but she said she doesn't look good in orange. I am going to reduce my fleet some, and try to get a few more back on the road, was hoping 2014 would be the Year of the AMC Resurrection, but so far, I haven't made much progress. I DID get my AMC Pacer running Friday, and swapped places with the black VW Scirocco in the picture. I'm hoping to get the brakes fixed and the last leaf spring replaced before winter, maybe I can drive it some after 12 years sitting. Sheesh. I'm getting older, and I know I'll never get them all running,much less restored, but I intend to keep about 5 Gremlins, and get rid of a few more eventually. For now, hope springs eternal. Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 01 2014 :  12:01:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:
I have many reasons, foremost is that in many cases, you can't find an exact roadname or model produced currently, so you have to buy vintage to acquire something that no one else has produced. also I just like some of the older models over the more modern era pieces, as my interests lie in the 1950's to the 1980's. Most modern engines and rolling stock don't excite me. So, i stick with earlier vintage HO stuff. It has character.
DaCheez, nice AMC car! Looks to be in very good shape. Sadly, I've let mine go, time and lack of money are wearing on me and my cars, but I am still planning on getting my Pacer wagon and a Gremlin streetable this year.

Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - July 01 2014 :  9:33:26 PM

If that orange Gremlin was in my area I would offer to repaint it labor free...

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - September 01 2014 :  1:50:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
quote:
Sean, no, I'm not single. My wife WANTS to kill me, but she said she doesn't look good in orange. I am going to reduce my fleet some, and try to get a few more back on the road, was hoping 2014 would be the Year of the AMC Resurrection, but so far, I haven't made much progress. I DID get my AMC Pacer running Friday, and swapped places with the black VW Scirocco in the picture. I'm hoping to get the brakes fixed and the last leaf spring replaced before winter, maybe I can drive it some after 12 years sitting. Sheesh. I'm getting older, and I know I'll never get them all running,much less restored, but I intend to keep about 5 Gremlins, and get rid of a few more eventually. For now, hope springs eternal. Jerry

dude, where do you run your trains??

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - September 01 2014 :  11:55:58 AM

just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 01 2014 :  3:16:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:

dude, where do you run your trains??

Originally posted by rgcw5 - September 01 2014 :  1:50:19 PM

Oh, I have a little 4' square space over my stairwell, my basement is full of vintage trains in boxes, so many I don't even have room for a layout (yet). Trying to clean THAT part of my real estate out as well. It's a struggle for me, as I hate getting rid of stuff, and I have a small house. But, I am trying.

Jerry

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - September 01 2014 :  3:31:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
sounds like my house Jerry!
just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - September 01 2014 :  3:51:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
I think my reason is the THrill Of The Hunt.
Finding yourself in possession of a piece that defies you to find it's history.
Sometimes you find it by accident.
I'll post one in ID Station as an example.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 01 2014 :  7:02:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I think my reason is the THrill Of The Hunt.
Finding yourself in possession of a piece that defies you to find it's history.
Sometimes you find it by accident.
I'll post one in ID Station as an example.

Originally posted by PGE33 - September 01 2014 :  3:51:52 PM

That's another thing I like about collecting older model trains. The history of that specific piece and the manufacturer of that piece. The thrill of the hunt is also pretty exciting.

-Steve

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - September 01 2014 :  10:30:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
Simple answer for me: New trains are expensive, old trains are cheap!

I'd rather not pay $100+ dollars for a locomotive, even a very detailed one.
I prefer older models, especially Blue Box Athearns, which I can usually get for under $15.
They have decent detail, dependable motors, and can be easily detailed or customized.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 02 2014 :  12:36:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Simple answer for me: New trains are expensive, old trains are cheap!

I'd rather not pay $100+ dollars for a locomotive, even a very detailed one.
I prefer older models, especially Blue Box Athearns, which I can usually get for under $15.
They have decent detail, dependable motors, and can be easily detailed or customized.

Originally posted by ChessieRR - September 01 2014 :  10:30:44 PM

That's what I discovered about Athearn Blue Boxes. They may not be as smooth or realistic as the modern stuff but they're way less breakable, therefore more durable, which means they'll have a way better chance of outlasting the majority of highly detailed model trains of today by literally decades. Nothing against modern model trains, I just think the older ones are well built overall when compared to the modern stuff. Seriously, I think model trains should've stopped in terms of detail sometime in the '80s. Back then, if you wanted to make a locomotive run as good as a modern DCC engine and/or add more detail to it to make it look more realistic, you could! But it was completely optional, not required. You could get your first H0 scale train set in let's say the 1950's. As you grow older and more experienced by let's say the 1970's, you could upgrade all of that equipment from your first H0 scale train set from the 50's to the standards of that specific time frame (1970's) using available at hobby shops at the time. I have seen tons of examples of that right here on this forum about how you guys literally transformed what people would call "toy trains" to stuff that would be impressive even to the hardcore modellers of today for less than it would cost to buy a brand new DCC locomotive.

-Steve

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - September 02 2014 :  07:06:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist
I hate it when I have a superdetailed loco and I can not get spares if a handrail brakes! Walt.......!
Erich
 Country: Austria  ~  Posts: 1046  ~  Member Since: December 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 19 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRadek70
Switcher

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - October 08 2015 :  4:54:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JRadek70 to Buddylist
I Like collecting and operating older model trains for a number of reasons. they bring me back to my youth.running trains with my dad in the 70s when things were still new to me. bring back times with my unlces and grandfathers trains were always part of the family. I also love to restore them and with a little work someones cheap "junk"can be turned into a great model. sure they don't have all the details and features and sound and scale width hoods of todays trains but they have a charm that can be beat and brings me back to those days which are getting further and further into the past. to me modeling is not about dropping 3 or 4 hundred for the newest dcc locos.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 10  ~  Member Since: October 07 2015  ~  Last Visit: November 16 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 08 2015 :  5:30:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Yes the high cost of buying new HO scale equipment would be driving me away. But the loss of American manufactures of locos and cars of HO scale trains has done it long before the price skyrocketed. American importers like Athearn and Model Die-casting which actually are the same company, using foreign manufactures to raise there profits have also driven me away. Now at train shows I see people sell use made in USA trains and others offering casting services. The old cars and locos are plentiful and much less expensive. Having a good number of old train castings and a ability to make castings for these old cars and locos, for me removes all need for the foreign builders. I am also dealing only with Americans. I have way to many cars and even locos to have a practical maintainable collection. Downsizing my train collection has been going on for quite a while. While others are looking to buy a new broadway limited loco with DCC and sound for 250 to 350 dollars. I look for a Gilbert Hudson of a particular number to fill in a place in my gilbert collection. Always looking for Gilbert pieces I don't have. I will finally make a list of what I am looking for.
For me Train shows and private sales are the way to go. The present manufactures can keep there trains.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 08 2015 :  5:54:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Very interesting. I mostly get them because they're cheap typically.Sometimes I can get something newer that's pretty sweet and cheap.
-Steve

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - January 10 2016 :  5:53:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
I prefer collecting old trains because none of the US makers do budget models nowadays. Tyco got reduced to an RC maker by Mattel, Athearn and Roundhouse backstabbed small-budget modelers by abandoning them to focus on pandering to the snobs with big checkbooks... And the Bachmann Thomas range, which used to be reasonable and which I would buy new, has suffered a ridiculous doubling in price (which is going to kill the range in the long term because the checkbook railroaders largely sneer at it). If it wasn't for New Old Stock and used models... It just wouldn't be possible for me to partake in the hobby.

With a bit of effort and sometimes aftermarket parts, the old models can look just as good as the modern ones that come superdetailed from the factory, and for considerably less money. They're also often more durable, and offer good performance if kept cleaned and lubricated.

Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - January 11 2016 :  3:07:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
For me it's 1) low cost 2) nostalgia 3) easy to work with and 4) kitbashability, roughly in that order. Obviously there is a conflict between #2 and #4, so some I get to collect and others to bash.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 12 2016 :  12:20:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I get the older stuffs cause its cheap & no one wants non-DCC stuffs
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: who do you like best Topic Next Topic: Steam or Diesel  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000