Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 Steam or Diesel
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Why do you like collecting older model trains? Topic Next Topic: Did You Start With a Tyco Train Set?  

richard p
Little Six

Posted - December 11 2012 :  07:35:39 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add richard p to Buddylist
Poll Question:
What type of engine is your favorite?

Choices:

Steam
Diesel

(Anonymous Vote)

rich p
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 190  ~  Member Since: December 26 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 02 2023 Alert Moderator 

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - December 11 2012 :  08:16:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Richard,
I voted steam as its what my layout is based on, BUT to be honest, I model Steam of the later years to early diesel, (The transition era) BUT I also collect everything there after of the railroads in the CSX family. From the very beginning of the B&O to the end, up to the present day CSX and everything in between!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Islanderh93
Little Six

Catskill Mountain Railroad

Posted - December 11 2012 :  09:25:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Islanderh93 to Buddylist
There are so many complications as to how I could answer that. You want me to pit the ALCO 2-8-0 against their RS-3?

Here's my answer to that question:

/tyco/forum/uploaded/Islanderh93/20121211092158_stalinet.jpg
It's a steam engine! It's a diesel engine! It's russian! It still didn't work great!

Read all about it (second locomotive on the page), because apparently my people back in the motherland couldnt' make that decision either:
http://www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/russ/russrefr.htm

Though I'll put in a vote for steam, because they had so much more that could have been done with Porta designs. But Alco diesels are still welcomed as steam engines for the extensive repairs they needed/earned, and because they still have the character (smoke) of a steam locomotive.

So long as we make coffee each morning, steam will never die!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 182  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - December 11 2012 :  1:08:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I'm big on steamers! More fun to watch run.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - December 11 2012 :  2:17:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
I've always been attracted to the kaleidoscopic array of paint schemes on diesels. They are among the largest industrial canvases ever built, and its fascinating to see how designers, railroads, marketers, and small shops have used them over the years... watching design trends evolve, come and go... colors enter and exit vogue... names burst forth and fade away.

Under that lens, steam locomotives just can't compare. Like a Model T: "Any color as long as it's black". *Obviously* there are exceptions - and for that reason consider WHY those exceptions are so celebrated...!

HOWEVER as I have grown older, AND had the opportunity to see a few operating steam locomotives of all types, I can't deny their physical presence and visible soul. And the mechanical engineer in me is fascinated with their design and construction. I've been acquiring more steam models too (and in fact just fixed a small fleet of Rivarossi Big boys, challengers, and cab forwards) so...

If there were an option to vote both, I might have...!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - December 11 2012 :  2:59:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Gotta be steam, although I do run diesel models for pretty much the same reasons the real railroads do. Steam models are finnicky runners and need more maintenance, especially cleaning. My Atlas, P2K and Spectrum diesel models run with little complaint, thus art imitates life and, for regular ops, diesel is king. The nostalgia and mechanical engineering that goes into steam has too strong an appeal though and will always occupy the best seats in the house, while diesel models faithfully toil to thankless underwelming indifference.
Edited by - shaygetz on December 11 2012 3:02:12 PM
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - December 11 2012 :  3:07:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
the grease,the smell and most importantly that trail of steam,all adds up to steam and with all its faults,the engineering is what attracts me most,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - December 14 2012 :  06:45:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
The steam locomotive, here in my town, when restored, ran on diesel fuel...

That didn't last long because the exhaust ate up the smoke stack...

The organization then switched to bunker II fuel.

Steam locomotives run/ran on diesel fuel...

Would you agree that steam locomotives were the first form of transportation that became "Flex-Fuel" vehicles?

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on December 15 2012 02:46:56 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 14 2012 :  07:50:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** Russian Railroad technology. I knew about the massive 2-14-4 steam locomotive, I didn't know of the steam diesel combination locomotives. I do like the way what at first appeared to me as a single cylinder center mounted between the 4 axels of a mikado. It looked like it had a single piston extending out both ends of the cylinder. Each piston rod driving a pair of side rod connected axels. This alone is very cool to me. This would have made for a very smooth running eight wheel drive. With the right size drivers, and a boiler capable of producing a lot of steam, a very fast, and powerfull, locomotive.
toptrain1

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on December 14 2012 07:54:29 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SCVR66
Big Boy

SCVR #2

Posted - December 14 2012 :  6:40:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SCVR66 to Buddylist
Ahh the age old question. I prefer steam even as young as I am I love working on them! diesels are boring and too simple to work on, I like a challenge!
I buy, repair, and collect
http://scvr.weebly.com/
http://seyboldlocomotiveworks.weebly.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDeputation?feature=watch
Hyde.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1352  ~  Member Since: January 15 2012  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 14 2012 :  7:42:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
either way is good for me Tho I do have alot of diesels
Islanderh93 - neat loco Although you gotta remember Russia did & still use a Broad Gauge on they're railways instead of Standard Gauge
Steam is real cool since live 100 miles from Cheyenne where 844(4) & 3985 are kept
Plus they have Big Boy #4004 there too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - December 17 2012 :  03:51:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
quote:
Gotta be steam, although I do run diesel models for pretty much the same reasons the real railroads do. Steam models are finnicky runners and need more maintenance, especially cleaning. My Atlas, P2K and Spectrum diesel models run with little complaint, thus art imitates life and, for regular ops, diesel is king. The nostalgia and mechanical engineering that goes into steam has too strong an appeal though and will always occupy the best seats in the house, while diesel models faithfully toil to thankless underwelming indifference.

Originally posted by shaygetz - December 11 2012 :  2:59:14 PM

Same here. I love the movement & overall look of a steam locomotive its engineering in motion. The presence one has when you see one in person, its like a living thing. But there are nights on the layout where things get rough and we just send in the diesels. That said I really think the diesels have some classic designs of their own. RS-3's I think are just great lookers. I think for me they sort of define that time frame between Diesel & Steam with their rounded hoods.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Jim
Little Six

BN

Posted - December 29 2012 :  7:56:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Jim to Buddylist
I run pretty much Steam and Diesel mixed, both US and UK power....I see your odd ball answer to the RS3 and raise you my power of steam...Cabforward and what ever this thing was called (Challenger?) but I will admit if there was an option for both I would have voted both, as I do love the different paint schemes of diesel out there...but I love the steams and how intricate they look :D
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 145  ~  Member Since: September 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 04 2013 :  11:00:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Diesel.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 05 2013 :  11:23:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I agree with the gentleman from KY that the diesel body is a great canvas for railroad color and one reason I vote for diesel.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

blackstone1
Switcher

ThomasAvatar

Posted - March 27 2013 :  2:17:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blackstone1 to Buddylist
If it ain't steam, its a powered boxcar
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 91  ~  Member Since: February 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: September 09 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR_Tyco
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - March 28 2013 :  9:14:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR_Tyco to Buddylist
I would have to say diesel as I model the early diesel age (the 50s-70s). But I do collect just about every age of models and there is just something about steam engines that is captivating!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 37  ~  Member Since: March 23 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Dan Vincent
Switcher

ErieAvatar

Posted - October 14 2013 :  06:23:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dan Vincent to Buddylist
During WW-II a bunch of us kids would go down to the ERIE tracks in Monroe, NY and watch all the steam engines and they were awesome things.

A few years later diesels showed up, belching smelly black smoke, but we gradually warmed up to the looks of them.

For running on a layout I'll take a diesel any day over steam as they handle switches much better and are usually heavier.

The ALCO PA-1 is my favorite diesel.

Edited by - Dan Vincent on October 17 2013 05:55:09 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 20  ~  Member Since: October 12 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 28 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 14 2013 :  12:41:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I like both but prefer steam. Aesthetically, the locomotive is the face of the train and a steam locomotive just gives an archetypal face to the train. Add to this the fact that the first train I can actually remember riding was a steam train when I was three years old. Add to that the fact that the first model train I ever had was steam-outline and the first full-size locomotive I ever ran was a steam locomotive (Heisler).

To me, steam is what a locomotive looks like. I'll admit that my F7 models run better than any of my steamers, but the steamers I use most run better than my small diesels.

When you're railfanning steam, you look at the fundamental shape and substance of the machine. A pacific is not a consolidation is not a mikado. Railfanning todays railroads, one is really chasing paint. Is the SD70 Armor Yellow, Cascade Green, BNSF Pumpkin, NS Black or CSX Gray? Of course, if you can get to museum diesels, there are fun quirks like the GE 44 tonner or a little 2-axle critter. Baldwin Sharks, Alco FA's and EMD F-anythings look classy, but if I could only choose a steam train or a diesel one, I'd head for the steam.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 14 2013 :  2:05:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I have to go with diesel as that's what I grew up with, and had on my previous layout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - October 17 2013 :  5:41:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist
The Lehigh and Great Lakes uses mostly Steam but we do have a few FM trainmasters and electric boxcabs.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 239  ~  Member Since: September 17 2012  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRadek70
Switcher

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - October 07 2015 :  4:34:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JRadek70 to Buddylist
im a bigger diesel fan ..not cause I don't like steam, I love it, but its before my time. im more familiar with diesel and I have to model a diesel railroad with steam being strictly an excursion.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 10  ~  Member Since: October 07 2015  ~  Last Visit: November 16 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tkruger
Big Six

Posted - October 08 2015 :  10:16:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tkruger to Buddylist
I prefer steam but run and collect more diesel. I run mainly Athearn Blue Box, Mantua Steam and Riverossi steam. The diesel just require less maintenance and cleaning. Also when something does wear out the BB mechanical parts are normally not locomotive specific. For the steamers some are, making the part harder to find / recreate.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: August 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 08 2015 :  5:38:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
For me it is steam. When they move, so many things move also, and you remember the sounds and they seem to be alive.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - November 18 2015 :  09:26:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:
For me it is steam. When they move, so many things move also, and you remember the sounds and they seem to be alive.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - October 08 2015 :  5:38:42 PM

Steam. Despite never seeing it in regular service.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - November 18 2015 :  10:21:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Got to be pre-1900 steam. They were the most beautiful and graceful
locomotives to ever run the rails. Granted the later steamers (and
diesels) made better billboards and workhorses, but the intricate/delicate
lines of the early steamers just grab your soul.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Why do you like collecting older model trains? Topic Next Topic: Did You Start With a Tyco Train Set?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000