Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 who do you like best
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: What color to repaint my Tyco autorack? Topic Next Topic: Why do you like collecting older model trains?  

dmoney2015
Switcher

devinbaker

Posted - June 21 2015 :  12:45:30 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add dmoney2015 to Buddylist
Poll Question:
im big on this question what do you like best ?

Choices:

tyco
ahm
bachmann
life like
model power
other

(Anonymous Vote)

devin "give me the ugly steam none of that streamlined stuff"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: February 13 2021 Alert Moderator 

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - June 21 2015 :  08:12:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
I voted "other". Was looking for "all of the above and then some".

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 21 2015 :  09:36:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I had to go with Tyco. Of all the companies on the list, Tyco is still the one I get most excited about finding at train shows...and it makes up the majority of my collection.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - June 21 2015 :  09:42:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Well, I LOVE collecting Tyco, no doubt. Do I run them at train shows? No, I still have not converted one (yet) to DCC to do that, but that is coming this year. So it's a divided question for me, I love nice running locomotives like Athearn, Atlas, Life-Like, Walthers, etc. But the pleasure is quite a bit with Tyco products. So that was a hard question to answer, but I do have tons of Tyco compared to other makes of trains. 'nuff said?

Jerry in VA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 21 2015 :  7:18:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I marked Tyco meaning the Mantua/Tyco steam locomotives that are the backbone of my layout.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - June 21 2015 :  8:26:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
No way to pick just one, but I did. I went with LL only because my first train was one and I've fallen back in love with some of their building kits.

I could just as easily have picked Model Power for their great building kits. Or Tyco for all the fun accessories and rolling stock. Or AHM for the mountain of awesome things they produced. One thing I can say for certain is that I'd put Bachmann at the bottom of the list. I've never been a fan other than a few pieces.

Where's Athearn? Love those blue boxes! Also I agree with Jerry.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 21 2015 :  9:09:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I chose Other cause I like to find the odd brands
Like Varney, Lionel, Marx & Mantua
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - June 21 2015 :  10:22:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I had to mark Tyco too as my layout is reliving my old 1970's childhood 4x8, only much bigger with all the stuff I wish I could have bought as a kid. However, the 70's layout had several Life-Like buildings & lights on it... and a tiny bit of AHM & Bachmann, as does the present one...
Edited by - walt on June 21 2015 10:24:02 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - June 22 2015 :  1:07:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi dmoney2015,

I selected other as well. As much as I like Tyco and how much it reminds me of my childhood, I would have to go with Athearn for it's quality and ease of repair.

Mytyco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - June 22 2015 :  2:34:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
AHM...4-8-8-4 Big Boys for $49.95 and Bercs for $27.95 in those ads on the sidebars of those beautiful blue boxes burned deep into this kid's brain back in '67...

Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - June 22 2015 :  5:41:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Bachmann,
The modern Bachmanns still have some problems, but for the most part are reliable. They have improved their parts support and online information. They are not Atlas or Athearn, but are very good for the price.
Regards, John

Ever occur to you why some of us can be this much concerned with animals suffering? Because government is not. Why not? Animals don't vote.
Paul Harvey

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 22 2015 :  6:29:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I would say all of them. All manufacturers given have released something pretty good in their lifetimes. I don't know, as long as it functions, I like the item.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - June 22 2015 :  10:47:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
quote:
AHM...4-8-8-4 Big Boys for $49.95 and Bercs for $27.95 in those ads on the sidebars of those beautiful blue boxes burned deep into this kid's brain back in '67...

Originally posted by shaygetz - June 22 2015 :  2:34:21 PM

I was born ten years after that, so I kind of missed the AHM years. I sure wish I'd been there though, because I'm constantly finding neat stuff they made. However, I have the same feeling about the Athearn blue boxes that I grew up with. Many days I wish I could go back to my local hobby shops (all long gone) and sort through the stacks on the shelves.

Good to see you on here, Shaygetz. The SP GP9 I bought from you is still one of my favorites and you always gave me good advice.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tkruger
Big Six

Posted - June 25 2015 :  09:22:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tkruger to Buddylist
I prefer the Athearn BB locos and the BB kits for rolling stock. For steam I have to go early Mantua and Riverrosi. For trolleys I have a few of the Mantua / Tyco ones. I have re-powered a Tyco diesel or two but do not like the lack of reliability the original PT had.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: August 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - June 25 2015 :  10:45:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
quote:

Good to see you on here, Shaygetz. The SP GP9 I bought from you is still one of my favorites and you always gave me good advice.

Originally posted by burlington77 - June 22 2015 :  10:47:54 PM

I try not to lead others astray...

Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - June 25 2015 :  5:57:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
I'm going to be the odd man out here and cast my vote for Ulrich, Ambroid, Silver Streak, and Athearn (pre-1960). Plastic can't and never will hold a candle to good old fashioned wood and metal!

(although this isn't to say the overwhelming majority of my fleet isn't Athearn blue box and MDC/Roundhouse freight cars, so I should probably vote for those instead...)

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - June 26 2015 :  9:08:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
I have a fair amount of SilverStreak, and really like them. Same for Ulrich, finally got the Ulrich track cleaning car we could never afford 50-60 years ago. I like Athearn BB.
Locos, steam diseasemal and rolling stock, Varney, period. Next down, diseasemals Athearn, period, and I mean back to HiF drives (and we, in the family, seem to have cornered the market on them, but second line, steam, Mantua, and not Tyco, meaning Version Two Mikes with eclosed gearboxes, motors in cab, cast tenders and cabs, insert main bearings.
If I get a Tyco with bearings in the pot metal, it goes away faster than Botchmann stuff.
Put a poll up, asking for opinions, well, you got 'em!
Dave
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - June 26 2015 :  9:36:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
quote:
I like Athearn BB. Locos, steam diseasemal and rolling stock, Varney, period. Next down, diseasemals Athearn, period, and I mean back to HiF drives (and we, in the family, seem to have cornered the market on them,
Dave

Originally posted by ScaleCraft - June 26 2015 :  9:08:48 PM

So, how do you feel about diesel locomotives?

Edited by - burlington77 on June 26 2015 9:38:20 PM

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - June 26 2015 :  9:41:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
I like Athearn BB. Locos, steam diseasemal and rolling stock, Varney, period. Next down, diseasemals Athearn, period, and I mean back to HiF drives (and we, in the family, seem to have cornered the market on them,
Dave

Originally posted by ScaleCraft - June 26 2015 :  9:08:48 PM

So, how do you feel about diesel locomotives?

Originally posted by burlington77 - June 26 2015 :  9:36:26 PM

I grew up reading John Allen. And others.
John had someone hanging from a trestle with a sign hung on the body..."Diesel Salesman".
They have their place...and only Fairbanks-Morse.....and that's in a Submarine. "Four main engines on-line, making turns for home".
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - June 26 2015 :  9:50:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
You got the Ulrich track cleaner?

I keep seeing ads for them in old issues of RMC but one has yet to show up in real life, at any price. Trying to get one of each type of car Ulrich made, all I'm missing is the stock car and the track cleaner now I think.

For diesels, my loyalty lies with Athearn BB, since it seems like you literally can't kill one without power tools. But for steam, my username should give away my preference for Penn Line, Bowser and MDC.

And if anyone ever runs out of spare rubber bands for the Hi-F drive, I have enough to last through the apocalypse and then some.

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - June 26 2015 :  10:32:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
Actually, I have several Hi-F's and I've never found bands that I'm totally happy with. I've used various hair bands and random rubber bands I've found. The hair bands seem to work for a while, but then break.

Dave, you seem like a good guy to hang out with. You're definitely from a different time and place than me and I like that. You've dropped at least two names I'm going to have to look up. This forum is the best place to learn about anything to do with model railroading.

EDIT: I looked up John Allen and now I remember reading about him. Just before my time. For the first time in a long time, I feel like the young guy in the room.

Edited by - burlington77 on June 26 2015 10:35:03 PM

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - June 27 2015 :  12:42:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
Once again, Athearn dropped the ball on parts...rubber bands were out of stock. So, I got a bag of coloured hair bands (also used for granddaughters), and I colour matched to the loco shell to be different.
John Allen...Gorre and Daphetid. Was quite a famous guy...scenery went ceiling to floor, you walked in the bottom of the canyons. He had a Stegosaur or some such as a switch engine.
Almost all the Varney ads in the Model Railroader back then were his layout.
What's the other name?

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - June 27 2015 :  01:01:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
Botchmann or Fairbanks-Morse? There were F-M locomotives. The engines are still used today. Diesel subs in WWII had four of them. CO's (Commanding Officers) used to say, if you had to go to sea in a diesel boat, and had a choice of Fairbanks-Morse or GM diesels, you ALWAYS chose Fairbanks as they would get you there and back.
Was a matter of pride for Enginemen on boats to come back into port with four smoking. Other crews would line the piers to observe. Even if they would not develop power, you had them running. Every return, they took one apart, hoisted the bits out the particular engine room hatch, laid the parts on the pier, the truck would come down from the shop with refurbished parts, drop them off, pick up your old ones and leave, then you started loading the bits back down the hatch and re-assembled it.
Let's say you had a 9 or 10-cylinder FM. Common on later Gatos, Balaos and Tench boats...but they had two crankshafts and 18-20 pistons and rods. Crank on top, crank on the bottom (and a bugger to get out) with a LONG cylinder in between with a piston at each end..the pistons came together in the middle.
We had FM's on the 637 class SSN I was on, I know LA class boats had them, and Tridents did.
Here's a link with an explanation of the engines:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbanks_Morse_38_8-1/8_diesel_engine

Air start. Run the fuel rack to "stop", open service air, pull the lever to "start", engine starts to spin, at a specified RPM you ran the fuel rack to "run".
The guys in WWII, just to avoid having to charge air banks up if they had to dive quick, started them off the first one running by motorizing the generator...highly frowned upon initially. If they were really low on air, they'd start the first one with the batteries, motorizing the generator via the sticks in maneuvering.

You ventilated the boat (if you were early enough not to have a schnorkel) by using open hatches (usually conn) to suck air through the boat. Did that on the SSN when you had to run the diesel and didn't want to run the LP blower.

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - June 27 2015 :  8:18:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I was also talking about Ulrich. Never came across those here. But thanks for the info!

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - June 27 2015 :  9:36:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
Ah. Ulrich. Made some neat cast and wood stuff. I have three gons, the track cleaning car, well, here's my database:
D&RGW outside braced boxcar OB-108

GN outside-braced boxcar road number 31055 OB-10 (series OB) (3283H?)

Outside-braced cattle car, unlettered (series SC)

Composite Gondola, (series CG) unlettered (kit #106) 1959 catalog

Composite Gondola, (series CG) CNJ(kit #106) 1959 catalog

Track cleaning car (undec) (kit 105) 1959 catalog

Drop bottom gondola, (kit 115) SP #91976 , 1959 catalog

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - July 04 2015 :  12:42:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I like them all, but I picked Life-Like because that's what I started with when I began HO model railroading. My current layout has a nice mix of Life-Like, Bachmann, A.H.M., TYCO and others set up on it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 04 2015 :  12:57:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
You got the Ulrich track cleaner?

I keep seeing ads for them in old issues of RMC but one has yet to show up in real life, at any price. Trying to get one of each type of car Ulrich made, all I'm missing is the stock car and the track cleaner now I think.

For diesels, my loyalty lies with Athearn BB, since it seems like you literally can't kill one without power tools. But for steam, my username should give away my preference for Penn Line, Bowser and MDC.

And if anyone ever runs out of spare rubber bands for the Hi-F drive, I have enough to last through the apocalypse and then some.

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - June 26 2015 :  9:50:41 PM

I have a metal tanker from that track cleaner but that's it, really. I'm thinking about using the tanker as an oil tanker by a factory on my switching layout since I can't find the track cleaner it came from.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - July 05 2015 :  6:44:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
If you have all the wood bits I think you have, that's the "kit". Craftsman.
Show your stuff...figure it out and build it!

http://www.hoseeker.net/Ulrich/ulrichtrackcleaningcarpg1.jpg
http://www.hoseeker.net/Ulrich/ulrichtrackcleaningcarpg2.jpg

Print them out, use them to figure out what you have...stripwood will replace what you're missing.
Come up with some trucks, wood screws (round, slot head) to mount them, couplers, paint, and you'll have something:

/tyco/forum/uploaded/ScaleCraft/20150705184433_ulrichcleaner.jpg

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - July 05 2015 :  11:23:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
Ah. Ulrich. Made some neat cast and wood stuff. I have three gons, the track cleaning car, well, here's my database:
D&RGW outside braced boxcar OB-108

GN outside-braced boxcar road number 31055 OB-10 (series OB) (3283H?)

Outside-braced cattle car, unlettered (series SC)

Composite Gondola, (series CG) unlettered (kit #106) 1959 catalog

Composite Gondola, (series CG) CNJ(kit #106) 1959 catalog

Track cleaning car (undec) (kit 105) 1959 catalog

Drop bottom gondola, (kit 115) SP #91976 , 1959 catalog

Originally posted by ScaleCraft - June 27 2015 :  9:36:42 PM

Very nice

Here's what I have, just off the top of my head since my roster in excel isn't finished:
Outside-braced box:
- M&StL green
- currently staking out a Pere Marquette one on ebay

Drop bottom gon:
- M&StL green
- GN (not assembled)
- Michigan Central (custom, first one I got)
- currently staking out a Utah Coal Route one on ebay

Composite gon:
- Rock Island
- undec (unfinished)

OS Triple hopper:
- M&StL red
- SP
- M&StL BLACK (is this a factory error or something? never seen any other black M&StL hoppers)

Twin hoppers:
- B&O offset side
- Rock Island offset side
- WM ribbed (unfinished)
- RDG ribbed (unfinished)
- currently staking out an N&W ribbed car on ebay
pretty sure there's one more but I don't recall which

Truss rod flatcar:
- NC&StL (with log load)

Steel frame flatcar:
- SSW (unfinished)

No stock car, reefer, track cleaner or piggyback flat yet. Currently making new sides for a penn line trailer to fit on the piggyback in case I find one without the trailer.

--CRC

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 06 2015 :  11:26:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
If you have all the wood bits I think you have, that's the "kit". Craftsman.
Show your stuff...figure it out and build it!

http://www.hoseeker.net/Ulrich/ulrichtrackcleaningcarpg1.jpg
http://www.hoseeker.net/Ulrich/ulrichtrackcleaningcarpg2.jpg

Print them out, use them to figure out what you have...stripwood will replace what you're missing.
Come up with some trucks, wood screws (round, slot head) to mount them, couplers, paint, and you'll have something:

/tyco/forum/uploaded/ScaleCraft/20150705184433_ulrichcleaner.jpg

Originally posted by ScaleCraft - July 05 2015 :  6:44:46 PM

Is there anywhere I can print out an accurate wood diagram thing (the markings for the kit) so I can know how big the wood needs to be to build this thing?

-Steve

dmoney2015
Switcher

devinbaker

Posted - July 23 2015 :  8:41:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add dmoney2015 to Buddylist
sorry I didnt add all pf the above I didnt think about it until you mentioned it
devin "give me the ugly steam none of that streamlined stuff"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: February 13 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - January 29 2016 :  3:05:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
For me:

Locos
1. Atlas- Absolutely the best
2. Proto 2000/Walthers Proto
3. Kato
4. Athearn Genesis
5. Athearn RTR
6.Proto 1000/ Walthers Trainline
7. Broadway Limited
8. Intermountain
9.Bachmann Blue box- Buy without DCC and add your own decoder. Bachmann DCC is shotty
10. Bachmann Spectrum
9.Intermountain

Rolling Stock
1. Intermountain
2. Atlas
3. Athearn RTR
4. Everything else

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

TrainingBean
Switcher

BNSFAvatar

Posted - February 29 2016 :  11:14:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add TrainingBean to Buddylist
At this point in time I'm going with TYCO; after 40+ years of storage, moving in packing trunks and of coarse, early child abuse, my TYCO engines started up. They ran slow due to badly needing to be cleaned and lubricated, but they moved. The non TYCO engines just sat and showed very little signs of working..
Howard L. Bean
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 10  ~  Member Since: February 27 2016  ~  Last Visit: May 28 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - February 29 2016 :  1:05:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
I have to go along with Steve. I've got a little bit of everything. They all produced something
good at one time or the other.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - February 29 2016 :  10:18:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Hm... I had to pick "Other" because there's so many I like. Tyco's variety and budget-freindliness is nice, my MDC Roundhouse Pullman Palace cars are beautiful, Athearn BB is also easy enough on the budget and there are some nice offerings there... My Hornby Thomas and Duck run nicely and powerfully, and my Bachmann stuff (which is mainly their Thomas range, and the mechanisms in those are gorgeous even if Thomas, Percy (who I don't have), and James are underpowered) is lovely too.
Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 06 2016 :  10:05:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Older Hornby. Rugged. Flanges you could plow a garden
with. Got that OO chunkiness. For American, I won't buy
another Tyco locomotive if you paid me. Those Pankake
motors, or whatever they're called, are worthless junk.
I'd buy a Mantua if it came up, however. Tyco cars: I
swear that I will never buy another, then buy five.

Lately I traded up for a Joeuf OO Playcraft that I
quite enjoy. The motor and transmission could be
adapted to saw lumber.

Electroen is pretty cool, too, but wicked hard to find.

Edited by - Chops124 on March 06 2016 10:08:16 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: What color to repaint my Tyco autorack? Topic Next Topic: Why do you like collecting older model trains?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000