Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 22 ]  [ Total: 22 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW June 8 - June 14
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW Feb 15 - Feb 22, 2015 Topic Next Topic: LOTW July 13-July19  

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 08 2014 :  12:18:01 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
My LOTW is an odd one. It's an old Arnold Rapido Baldwin Switcher I got for $15 at my local train show.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator 

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - June 08 2014 :  12:31:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
Blue box Athearn with the more modern plastic handrail set.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - June 08 2014 :  02:32:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
All right, more Mopac stuff! my pick for LOTW is this Alco RS-2 by AHM in custom Mopac paint. This one is repowered with a motor from Kato!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - June 08 2014 :  11:33:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
This sort of counts as a locomotive of the week, a Cary locomotive works SW1500 metal shell for athearn switchers. I still have to assemble and paint this kit, but it should look nice when finished and I only paid $10 for it.

Edited by - ChessieRR on June 08 2014 11:34:04 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jbsmith966
Big Six

Scooter, with a 75mm Recoiless Rifle !

Posted - June 08 2014 :  11:01:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jbsmith966 to Buddylist
Bachmann GP50 this week

[URL=http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/jbsmith966/media/album2/008-1.jpg.html] [/URL]
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 245  ~  Member Since: May 05 2010  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - June 09 2014 :  02:41:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
^jb:

Always liked the look of the high-hood GP50, they look Tuff. :D

All these diesels though! Time for some steam...

My loco of the week is this A3 that the V & E bought used from the PRR (aka Model Power). The price was right ($5 at the train show), but when it arrived it would only run in reverse, and that with a loud clicking sound...and the smokestack had been knocked off.

The clicking was a cracked motor frame. The motor was replaced with a Jameco automotive can motor that is simply ACC glued to the frame with some styrene shims. The old worm presses right on. The missing smokestack was replaced by a new one, turned from plastic coat-hanger rod in an improvised lathe. It's hand-lettered with a 3/0 brush.

(Coat hanger rod is SUPPOSED to be polystyrene, but it certainly isn't like any styrene I'm used to. It's quite hard, and Testors solvent cement doesn't seem to affect it. I ended up drilling out the stack, and doweling it to the loco with a length of sprue.)

It runs smoothly and fairly quietly, but is too light in the boiler area. This is one loco that I would so much rather have as a Mantua-style metal kit. My plan is to add electrical pickup to the tender, and some boiler weight. I'd take it apart to show the motor upgrade but these things are a bear to get back together (too many loose pieces to hold together at once...)

So cute though. I love the A3. It's like a chibi loco with that huge cab and tiny boiler.

Edited by - Autobus Prime on June 09 2014 02:55:02 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - June 09 2014 :  10:05:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
The coat hanger is probably polyethylene or polypropylene. Both have more flexibility than polystyrene, which would probably snap if made into a coat hanger.
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 09 2014 :  10:59:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
^jb:

Always liked the look of the high-hood GP50, they look Tuff. :D

All these diesels though! Time for some steam...

My loco of the week is this A3 that the V & E bought used from the PRR (aka Model Power). The price was right ($5 at the train show), but when it arrived it would only run in reverse, and that with a loud clicking sound...and the smokestack had been knocked off.

The clicking was a cracked motor frame. The motor was replaced with a Jameco automotive can motor that is simply ACC glued to the frame with some styrene shims. The old worm presses right on. The missing smokestack was replaced by a new one, turned from plastic coat-hanger rod in an improvised lathe. It's hand-lettered with a 3/0 brush.

(Coat hanger rod is SUPPOSED to be polystyrene, but it certainly isn't like any styrene I'm used to. It's quite hard, and Testors solvent cement doesn't seem to affect it. I ended up drilling out the stack, and doweling it to the loco with a length of sprue.)

It runs smoothly and fairly quietly, but is too light in the boiler area. This is one loco that I would so much rather have as a Mantua-style metal kit. My plan is to add electrical pickup to the tender, and some boiler weight. I'd take it apart to show the motor upgrade but these things are a bear to get back together (too many loose pieces to hold together at once...)

So cute though. I love the A3. It's like a chibi loco with that huge cab and tiny boiler.

Originally posted by Autobus Prime - June 09 2014 :  02:41:57 AM

Turned out great, Autobus!I'm also surprised that thing wasn't a Mantua style metal kit.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

babuff
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - June 09 2014 :  12:21:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add babuff to Buddylist
O.K. Here is my newest estate finds A pair of MANTUA 2-8-2 locos. these are all meatal cast boiler and tender. After a clean and lube job they ran silky smooth with a lot of pulling power. They came painted and unlettered so when my friend makes up a new set of decals the will proudly join my BOSTON & ALBANY roster

Leo
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 185  ~  Member Since: April 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 30 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - June 09 2014 :  12:52:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
b:

I can see the gearbox in one pic, so those are the classic ones with the nice big motor, excellent! I'm not surprised they run well. That's always been way too much metal for a PM-1.

Should be great locos for your B&A, too. They even have the overall hefty outline of an H-10 (different details, of course).

quote:
I'm also surprised that thing wasn't a Mantua style metal kit.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - June 09 2014 :  10:59:53 AM

The only cast-metal A3 I know of is the old Arbour Models kit, which is impossible to find and probably difficult to assemble. In college, I lucked into their SC 4-6-0 kit for only $25 and it was quite tough. After failing to file-fit the axle slots properly, and melting some small parts with the soldering iron, I passed it on to a local jeweler to play with. I'd love to try the A3 now, though, if I could find one for cheap...

Edited by - Autobus Prime on June 09 2014 1:03:48 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - June 09 2014 :  4:54:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Rescued from the yard sale box, this Alco C628 was a mess - in parts with a thick layer of dust/crud. All the parts were there though, so after a good clean/lube and some super glue she comes back from the dead. I added some Athearn railings/stanchions front and back, some horns on top, number boards, couplers and painted the trucks silver as they should be. Looks like its been around the block a few times but I consider that a bonus

Bonus loco is its partner from the yard sale box, started out in red/silver General Electric colors. Would have loved to restore those, but the slathering of brown enamel 'weathering' paint could not be removed without ruining everything. So the JNXT gets a new industrial switcher. It runs fine after years of crud were removed, parts were lubricated and couplers added.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - June 09 2014 :  8:14:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
This is a Cary bodied SW-1500 that I painted about twenty years ago. It is interesting that the prototype Mopac only owned four of this otherwise popular model. They owned several earlier models like the SW-1200 and a good size amount of the MP-15-DC.Their SW-1500s were eventually paired up with slugs made from cut down earlier switchers.
quote:
This sort of counts as a locomotive of the week, a Cary locomotive works SW1500 metal shell for athearn switchers. I still have to assemble and paint this kit, but it should look nice when finished and I only paid $10 for it.

Originally posted by ChessieRR - June 08 2014 :  11:33:40 AM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - June 09 2014 :  9:50:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
quote:
This is a Cary bodied SW-1500 that I painted about twenty years ago. It is interesting that the prototype Mopac only owned four of this otherwise popular model. They owned several earlier models like the SW-1200 and a good size amount of the MP-15-DC.Their SW-1500s were eventually paired up with slugs made from cut down earlier switchers.
quote:

Originally posted by ChessieRR - June 08 2014 :  11:33:40 AM

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - June 09 2014 :  8:14:52 PM

That Mopac switcher looks great! I am probably going to paint my Cary shell for the Houston Belt and Terminal, I already have a Athearn plastic-bodied SW1500 and SW7 painted for the HB&T, and a couple more SW1000s ready to paint.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - June 09 2014 :  10:50:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Jerry, that GE center cab looks cool! Ron and Chris have also done repaints on these, and their results were equally impressive. They actually look better without the thick cast-on plastic handrails.

I like your Kadee solution on the Alco. Does this one have traction tires? Most 6 axle Mehanos I've seen don't, which leaves them with a pretty slippery 8 wheel drive.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - June 09 2014 :  11:17:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
Staying on a Mopac theme, here's my Stewart/Bowser Baldwin switcher sub lettered below the number for the St. Louis Brownsville and Mexico.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - June 10 2014 :  01:02:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Some very nice locomotives here. Autobuss, I dig your hand lettering work on that cool little steamer.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - June 10 2014 :  06:33:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Jerry, that GE center cab looks cool! Ron and Chris have also done repaints on these, and their results were equally impressive. They actually look better without the thick cast-on plastic handrails.

I like your Kadee solution on the Alco. Does this one have traction tires? Most 6 axle Mehanos I've seen don't, which leaves them with a pretty slippery 8 wheel drive.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - June 09 2014 :  10:50:59 PM

Thanks Nelson. I was actually planning on rebuilding the railings on the GE but liked it without them after I got it put back together.
As for the Alco - no, no traction tires on it. It has a huge weight that fills the fuel tank, plus I added another ounce with stick-on weights. Hooked it to a good-sized train and it pulled well.

Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - June 10 2014 :  11:42:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Jerry,
I like your crisp paint jobs.

Do you strip your models before you paint them. If so, what do you use to strip the paint.

Steven,
The MP RS2 looks great!

Mr A. Prime
I have always liked the A3 engines. You must have a steady hand.

Regards John *********************

Guns are a lot like parachutes If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again <> Junior

Edited by - JRG1951 on June 10 2014 11:50:16 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - June 10 2014 :  2:59:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Jerry, the catwalk style walkways on those switchers also makes stanchion mounting trickier.

Glen, I also like that RS-2... looks a lot better than the stock paint job.

Autobus, I neglected your A3 as well. I love those little locos, but they can be tricky to work on as you mentioned (especially those fragile #$@* brake shoes!). You hand painted serif lettering is excellent, and really appropriate for a period short line.

Do you have a model # for that motor? I'm curious what the specs are. It looks like it might be similar to the Mabuchi I used, which has a plastic end bell.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - June 10 2014 :  3:59:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Jerry,
I like your crisp paint jobs.

Do you strip your models before you paint them. If so, what do you use to strip the paint.

Originally posted by JRG1951 - June 10 2014 :  11:42:53 AM

Thank you John - to answer your question, I always try to strip before I paint. I will let the shells soak in 91% alcohol, and if nothing budges after 24 hours I know I'm wasting my time. The GE center cab just laughed at the alcohol, so everything (including the previous owner's ghastly attempt at weathering) must have been enamel. I painted over it, just like the real railroads.
But yes I do strip off the old paint if at all possible. I suppose there are solvents that will remove enamel, but I don't like using them and in the case of the center cab, what I was hoping to do was remove the brown paint smudges and uncover the original paint underneath. no such luck!

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - June 11 2014 :  12:20:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Jerry, it looks very clean. I would never have guessed it wasn't stripped first.

You probably would have better success with Scalecoat Washaway, but it seems like you can never remove all of AHM factory paint.

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on June 11 2014 12:20:28 AM

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - June 11 2014 :  12:34:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:

Do you have a model # for that motor? I'm curious what the specs are. It looks like it might be similar to the Mabuchi I used, which has a plastic end bell.
Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - June 10 2014 :  2:59:28 PM

It's this one:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_231732_-1

I just ordered more. It's a nifty little motor! 15x20mm, 25mm long with a 2mm x 10mm shaft, 6000 rpm at 12v. They use it for small automotive accessories like rearview mirror winders.

There's a data sheet on the site, but I've also attached this neat-o test sheet from Bud of the Model Railroad Technical Information page on Geocities....I hope he's still with us, the man is/was a genius! The '231731' Jameco motor in the chart is the same as the one above, the number has just changed.

Bud's site:

http://webspace.webring.com/people/ib/budb3/arts/rpwr/rpxmp.html#backk

I've used these to replace Mehano vertical-mount diesel motors as well. They give a fairly flat torque and power curve, with a lower top end RPM, improving slow and medium speed operation. They are also quiet. They also cost four dollars. ^_^

Jameco has a lot of neat little motors, including this humdinger:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_174693_-1

3000 rpm and 85 g-cm of torque at max efficiency? That torque spec is just above Bowser NdFeB DC71 territory (assuming it curves similarly to my favorite little 15x20 at stall) and anybody who has messed with the new DC71 knows what a little monster it is. This should be amuuuuusing. ^_^

It look like it will juuuuust fit an HO cab unit shell. I've ordered one to try and stuff it in one of my varney-drive Life Like diseasels. I'm of the opinion that there aren't many problems that don't go away somehow with a BIGGER motor. ^_^

The hand-lettering - is better than some of my earlier attempts. I need more practice. I learned the basics of hand-lettering from Louis Hertz's COMPLETE BOOK OF MODEL RAILROADING. Now I'm trying to rediscover that lost art. Custom decals and WS alphabets are expensive and hard to get; the Chartpak transfers are almost impossible to find now, and their fonts are too modern...and all three of these have a mechanical precision that just doesn't look right for my era. Their lettering was neater than mine by far, but it still had an organic look.

Edited by - Autobus Prime on June 11 2014 12:59:03 AM

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - June 11 2014 :  12:49:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
My LOTW is a Penn line / Bowser T1 4-4-4-4 Duplex steam locomotive. Was listed yesterday on eBay as a Buy It Now for $20!! + $6 S/H

Someone call the police!! I just sole it!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 11 2014 :  12:59:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
My LOTW is a Penn line / Bowser T1 4-4-4-4 Duplex steam locomotive. Was listed yesterday on eBay as a Buy It Now for $20!! + $6 S/H

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - June 11 2014 :  12:49:50 PM

$26 altogether!?!?!I'm so jealous of you right now.Does it run because that would make the deal that much better if it did.

-Steve

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - June 11 2014 :  1:00:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:

$26!!

<--is Brunswick green with envy.

Seriously, what a great find. I hope they pack it carefully!

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - June 11 2014 :  11:29:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
My LOTW is a rod locomotive. Hot Rod That Is!! It is a 440!

This is by Matel.

Regards, John ***********

No war is over until the enemy says it’s over. We may think it over, we may declare it over,
but in fact, the enemy gets a vote. <> Gen. James Mattis USMC

Edited by - JRG1951 on June 11 2014 11:36:05 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - June 12 2014 :  12:41:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist
quote:

How much for a T1 tender?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 239  ~  Member Since: September 17 2012  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 12 2014 :  5:53:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Lionel E-33 electric Pennsylvania RR.

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 12 2014 :  6:25:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by toptrain - June 12 2014 :  5:53:10 PM

Like the transition couplers. They're great for when you have both kinds of cars (horn hook and Kadee couplers) and you want to use them with your older engines.

-Steve

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - June 12 2014 :  7:51:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
quote:
My LOTW is a rod locomotive. Hot Rod That Is!! It is a 440!

This is by Matel.

Regards, John ***********

Originally posted by JRG1951 - June 11 2014 :  11:29:37 PM

RAIL RODDER? Where's Buster Keaton?

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - June 13 2014 :  08:24:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
My LOTW is a Penn line / Bowser T1 4-4-4-4 Duplex steam locomotive.

$26!!

Originally posted by Autobus Prime - June 11 2014 :  1:00:50 PM

I was shocked the guy even sent it. It arrived yesterday in great shape and well packed. Considering what he has listed and the prices he is asking for everything else... He has a Varney Casey Jones & a Mantua 4-6-2 Pacific, each listed for ~$90 and they are in fair-OK condition. I'm thinking it was a mistake and he meant to post it at $200. He has freight cars listed at $15!!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 13 2014 :  5:10:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:
My LOTW is a Penn line / Bowser T1 4-4-4-4 Duplex steam locomotive.

$26!!

Originally posted by Autobus Prime - June 11 2014 :  1:00:50 PM

I was shocked the guy even sent it. It arrived yesterday in great shape and well packed. Considering what he has listed and the prices he is asking for everything else... He has a Varney Casey Jones & a Mantua 4-6-2 Pacific, each listed for ~$90 and they are in fair-OK condition. I'm thinking it was a mistake and he meant to post it at $200. He has freight cars listed at $15!!

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - June 13 2014 :  08:24:01 AM

That's what I'm thinking too, actually.

-Steve

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - June 13 2014 :  8:15:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I got a couple more Walthers TrainLine locomotives for my layout. I plan to eventually upgrade them to DCC as well. Even though they are not DCC-ready, they are actually relatively simple for doing hardwired DCC upgrades.

Walthers Santa Fe GP9M. The design kind of reminds me of TYCO's Santa Fe Warbonnet GP20. Hmm... (I also got the caboose in the background with it.)

And I will counter that with a more prototypical model:
/tyco/forum/uploaded/wiley209/20150101153553_walthersBNSFdash8.jpg
Walthers BNSF/Santa Fe Dash 8-40BW! As I said, this locomotive seems a bit more upscale than the GP9M. It has a reversing headlight and dual flywheels. It also came with the plow thingy, which I will probably attach to the bottom for added realism.

Notice how it says "SANTA FE" on the front, but "BNSF" on the sides? The reason is that this is supposed to represent an ex-ATSF Warbonnet locomotive that had been updated to reflect the BNSF merger. They would paint over "Santa Fe" on the sides with "BNSF," and sometimes they would also update the logo on the nose with "BNSF", sometimes they wouldn't. Some patched locomotives like this are still in use today. (Some railfans call these the "Fakebonnets." Here's [url=http://www.qstation.org/bnsflist/bnsflist.html]a good website [/url]about the different ones out there.)

I've even got it pulling a train now!

Edited by - wiley209 on January 01 2015 3:36:21 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 13 2014 :  10:34:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I got a couple more Walthers TrainLine locomotives for my layout. I plan to eventually upgrade them to DCC as well. Even though they are not DCC-ready, they are actually relatively simple for doing hardwired DCC upgrades.

Walthers Santa Fe GP9M. The design kind of reminds me of TYCO's Santa Fe Warbonnet GP20. Hmm... (I also got the caboose in the background with it.)

And I will counter that with a more prototypical model:

Walthers BNSF/Santa Fe Dash 8-40BW! As I said, this locomotive seems a bit more upscale than the GP9M. It has a reversing headlight and dual flywheels. It also came with the plow thingy, which I will probably attach to the bottom for added realism.

Notice how it says "SANTA FE" on the front, but "BNSF" on the sides? The reason is that this is supposed to represent an ex-ATSF Warbonnet locomotive that had been updated to reflect the BNSF merger. They would paint over "Santa Fe" on the sides with "BNSF," and sometimes they would also update the logo on the nose with "BNSF", sometimes they wouldn't. Some patched locomotives like this are still in use today. (Some railfans call these the "Fakebonnets." Here's [url=http://www.qstation.org/bnsflist/bnsflist.html]a good website [/url]about the different ones out there.)

I've even got it pulling a train now!

Originally posted by wiley209 - June 13 2014 :  8:15:43 PM

For the first locomotive, yes, everything about it looks like Tyco to me.I swear I'm seen that exact same locomotive. (The Fakebonnet one I mean)

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on June 13 2014 10:35:08 PM

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - June 14 2014 :  02:20:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
w:

I miss the warbonnets so much. They came back and looked SO amazing on those big modern diesels. Modern hood units, especially the GE ones* (which I see a lot of every day, since I work there ^_^) look a little strange, with all the bulky stuff up front, but the warbonnet's color layout and flashy silver counteracts that hammerhead effect. It's a beautiful scheme, and it was too soon gone again, along with the ATSF (and the BN)...

*Before I worked at GE, I though GE hood units looked like a horse designed by committee. Now I realize that this is in fact exactly what they are. They're built from several modular 'cabs', assembled on a platform, and you can easily see what these 'cab' sections are by looking at the long hood. It's a very efficient way to make locos, but the final product can look a little peculiar - see the infamous 'toaster' Dash 8 for an example.

Edited by - Autobus Prime on June 14 2014 02:32:18 AM

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - June 14 2014 :  10:47:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
quote:
w:

I miss the warbonnets so much. They came back and looked SO amazing on those big modern diesels. Modern hood units, especially the GE ones* (which I see a lot of every day, since I work there ^_^) look a little strange, with all the bulky stuff up front, but the warbonnet's color layout and flashy silver counteracts that hammerhead effect. It's a beautiful scheme, and it was too soon gone again, along with the ATSF (and the BN)...

*Before I worked at GE, I though GE hood units looked like a horse designed by committee. Now I realize that this is in fact exactly what they are. They're built from several modular 'cabs', assembled on a platform, and you can easily see what these 'cab' sections are by looking at the long hood. It's a very efficient way to make locos, but the final product can look a little peculiar - see the infamous 'toaster' Dash 8 for an example.

Originally posted by Autobus Prime - June 14 2014 :  02:20:29 AM

I totally agree with you about the warbonnet painted modern diesels, that paint scheme is a classic that will be missed, but it seems like there are still plenty of ex-Santa Fe diesels in the BNSF system. I always liked BNSF's Santa Fe-inspired green and orange paint scheme, in my opinion it looks better than the new "wedge" paint and logo.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - June 14 2014 :  1:48:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Yep, I remember seeing those diesels and liking them on [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwY6Ul_Yq-Y]the Real Wheels video "There Goes a Train,"[/url] produced in 1994, a year before the BNSF merger. It's got some great ATSF freight action, and the host of the video (Dave Hood) even shows us a Santa Fe Dash 8-40CW up close, and then inside the cab (he even climbs onto the top of the nose, to show how big the engine is!) The particular locomotive featured he tours us on, ATSF 858, was then repainted in the BNSF "Heritage" colors in the early 2000s, and now it is owned by the CN Railway. (I gotta do a separate thread about this video!)

I just got something else interesting:

Yes, another Life-Like Proto 1000 ATSF F3A, except this one is numbered 201C, while my other one is 200C. It could be handy for double-header trains. Unfortunately, it isn't DCC-ready, but I'll probably get a different decoder from my 200C, and do THIS installation method so I can use the original light board:
http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Life_Like/Proto_1000_F3A_alternate/Proto_1000_F3A_alternate.html
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - June 14 2014 :  6:40:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Autobus,

Those Nichibo PC-130 motors are in my arsenal, too. They are the Chinese answer to the Mabuchi FK-130. They have a nice low top RPM that's slower than the Mabuchis, but they cog more at low speeds. The FK-130's allow for real tie crawling, even in Mehano vertical trucks. I wish I could find a good source for them, especially because they had a stub shaft on the brush end, but no dice since All Electronics sold out their stock in 2008 or so.

Those 370 cans look interesting. Two of them back-to-back might squeeze into an Athearn RDC.

Sean, that Duplex was a great catch for you, but makes the rest of us nauseous.

The Tyco Depot

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - June 14 2014 :  7:37:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:
Autobus,

Those Nichibo PC-130 motors are in my arsenal, too. They are the Chinese answer to the Mabuchi FK-130. They have a nice low top RPM that's slower than the Mabuchis, but they cog more at low speeds. The FK-130's allow for real tie crawling, even in Mehano vertical trucks. I wish I could find a good source for them, especially because they had a stub shaft on the brush end, but no dice since All Electronics sold out their stock in 2008 or so.

Those 370 cans look interesting. Two of them back-to-back might squeeze into an Athearn RDC.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - June 14 2014 :  6:40:27 PM

NKP:
Now you make me want to track down some FK-130s. I see Electronics Goldmine doesn't have any either.

Have you ever used this Mabuchi motor? It looks interesting. The serrations on the shaft could help deal with spun-worm situations:

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G18235

You know, there was a time when I thought I was the only modeler who used surplus and salvaged motors to repower stuff. Everybody was talking about helix humpers and portescaps, while I was butchering old tape players and things. And then I came here... [happy]

Edited by - Autobus Prime on June 14 2014 7:39:57 PM

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - June 14 2014 :  8:53:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:

You know, there was a time when I thought I was the only modeler who used surplus and salvaged motors to repower stuff. Everybody was talking about helix humpers and portescaps, while I was butchering old tape players and things. And then I came here... [happy]

Originally posted by Autobus Prime - June 14 2014 :  7:37:01 PM

Autobus, there was a time when all I knew were the NWSL repower kits .....and then I came here.... and thought "they are butchering old tape players and things to power locomotives???"

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - June 14 2014 :  10:15:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
It's not like we're salvaging Victrola motors, or anything really weird.

Autobus, I have a few of those power lock motors. The lack of soldering lugs is a pain. Otherwise, they seem to be decent for our purposes, though I haven't used any yet. The shafts on the FK-130's I bought were knurled too, and it has to be filed or sanded down to get any 2mm gears or flywheels to fit. I don't think the knurled area is wide enough to fit 2.4mm parts.

The Tyco Depot

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - June 16 2014 :  6:18:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by toptrain - June 12 2014 :  5:53:10 PM

I just found a spare truck to that. Now I know what it is.

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - June 16 2014 :  6:23:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
It's not like we're salvaging Victrola motors, or anything really weird.
Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - June 14 2014 :  10:15:27 PM

Well... I /might/ be salvaging a victrola motor. Hush.
In any case, a story of true salvaging trash-picking resourcefulness: Two weeks ago, I notice the pencil sharpeners are both missing from my calculus classroom. So I go to ask the teacher, she says they both broke so she threw them out. She also, knowing how I save hardware, build trains and such, says I'm welcome to take them. I took them from the trash, went to borrow some tools from auto shop, and spent all of health and english classes (it was a really slow day) disassembling them to pirate the motors and screws for trains. Only catch is, one of the motors is too big to fit inside anything except a cab/cowl unit. I'm not even sure if it will fit that, actually, this thing is BIG!

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - June 16 2014 :  7:48:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Only catch is, one of the motors is too big to fit inside anything except a cab/cowl unit. I'm not even sure if it will fit that, actually, this thing is BIG!

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - June 16 2014 :  6:23:41 PM

Whatever it takes, DO IT

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 17 2015 :  09:42:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
O.K. Here is my newest estate finds A pair of MANTUA 2-8-2 locos. these are all meatal cast boiler and tender. After a clean and lube job they ran silky smooth with a lot of pulling power. They came painted and unlettered so when my friend makes up a new set of decals the will proudly join my BOSTON & ALBANY roster

Leo

Originally posted by babuff - June 09 2014 :  12:21:22 PM

You just gotta love how smooth those older Mantua locos can be. Seriously, I have one myself and it's one of my smoothest steam locomotives, no joke.

-Steve

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 17 2015 :  10:47:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Nice locomotives and nice craftsmanship on the ones that have been reworked.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW Feb 15 - Feb 22, 2015 Topic Next Topic: LOTW July 13-July19  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000