Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 33 ]  [ Total: 33 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 All the others not mentioned.
 Lego trains
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Charmerz - Charles Merzbach Topic Next Topic: Hafner 0 gauge wind-up ( at VA show )  

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 08 2014 :  11:12:04 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Lego makes some pretty cool trains that run beautifully. They are really catching on and Lego layouts are always a big hit at model train shows. If you are a fan of Lego trains post them here.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator 

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 09 2014 :  12:55:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I've seen some of those Lego layouts at my local train show every year for the past couple of years. They can be pretty dang cool if you ask me. In fact, one of the trains that run on that layout is the exact same engine that you have there.Well, not exact as in the one in the picture, I just mean the same model.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on May 09 2014 10:28:29 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 12 2014 :  01:42:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Not only does lego make their own models they are allowing outside sources to offer their own models based on lego blocks. Several locomotives are offered including Big Boys and GS-6 Daylights as well as others.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - May 12 2014 :  12:13:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
The cool THING about all LEGOS is they are made in the USA. Who says you can't manufacture here and be successful.

Regards, John ******************

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. <> Edward R. Murrow

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 12 2014 :  12:51:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
The cool THING about all LEGOS is they are made in the USA. Who says you can't manufacture here and be successful.

Regards, John ******************

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. <> Edward R. Murrow

Originally posted by JRG1951 - May 12 2014 :  12:13:05 PM

I didn't know that LEGO still made products in the US. I like LEGO even more now.Kinda sad really when anything that is made in the US nowadays is thrilling because now third world countries make our products today. Oh, I went a little too deep, didn't I?

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 12 2014 :  1:21:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
actually LEGO is made in quite a few countries aside USA
They are the World's Largest producers of tires
& you thought it was Goodyear or Firestone? WRONG
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14691  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 12 2014 :  3:11:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:
actually LEGO is made in quite a few countries aside USA
They are the World's Largest producers of tires
& you thought it was Goodyear or Firestone? WRONG

Originally posted by microbusss - May 12 2014 :  1:21:49 PM

Yes Ben, and I just ordered a set for my 79 Trans Am on Saturday!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - May 12 2014 :  4:14:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Ooops,

I was wrong the LEGOS are manufactured all over the world. I'm not sure where I got the USA manufacture. I guess I was thinking of the K'NEX Sets. LEGO is Based in Denmark. Sorry my Mistake!

Regards, John ********

You can always tell a real friend: when you've made a fool of yourself he doesn't feel you've done a permanent job. <> Laurence J. Peter

Edited by - JRG1951 on May 12 2014 4:21:14 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 12 2014 :  5:49:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Ooops,
I was wrong the LEGOS are manufactured all over the world. I'm not sure where I got the USA manufacture. I guess I was thinking of the K'NEX Sets. LEGO is Based in Denmark. Sorry my Mistake!
Regards, John ********
Originally posted by JRG1951 - May 12 2014 :  4:14:42 PM

oh no you were correct some Lego Bricks & stuffs are made in USA but not all of it
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14691  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - May 12 2014 :  6:28:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
LEGO has made trains since the 1960's But they were not easily available in USA until the mid nineties though some speciality stores sold them before that

Some American prototypes were made as well

They are battery operated 12 and 9 volt as they are labeled

Got my first set from yard sale years ago

Also have the Amtrak set
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 12 2014 :  6:47:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Ooops,

Regards, John ********

You can always tell a real friend: when you've made a fool of yourself he doesn't feel you've done a permanent job. <> Laurence J. Peter

Originally posted by JRG1951 - May 12 2014 :  4:14:42 PM

Still better than China though.

-Steve

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - May 13 2014 :  12:08:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
This isn't exactly what you're talking about, but I built this unpowered Lego locomotive about 10 years ago. (There are also a few special MegaBlocks used to achieve certain details, and even some Tyco(!) blocks holding on the fuel tank. Shhh...) I apologize for the fuzzy pictures; I think they resulted from poor lighting.

Here's my attempt at the EMD Blomberg truck:

The cab interior:

The "facilities":

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 13 2014 :  12:20:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Love the prime mover detail in that roadswitcher!Keep em coming guys. I'm glad you all took an interest in this thread!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 13 2014 :  12:22:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Another thought, since Tyco made Mega-blocks this Lego thing isn't that much of a stretch.

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - May 13 2014 :  07:02:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Glenn that is incredible! Love all the details, and the prime mover is mind-boggling.
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 13 2014 :  11:35:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
The detail on that engine is spot on! At least for a Lego train of course.Nonetheless, that is literally one of the best Lego train models I have ever seen in my lifetime.
-Steve

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - May 13 2014 :  12:36:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Steven, Jerry, and Stephen, thanks for the complements!

I built this locomotive right around the time my wife and I got temporary custody of her then 13-year-old nephew. He had (and still has) a trainload of Legos, and we spread them out all over his bedroom floor and I built this locomotive while he built a hundred other things. There are quite a few hours in this project, most of them spent searching the floor for the right parts! I didn't always find the right parts, which is why there are no pictures of the right side. The curved bottom of the fuel tank on the right side is white! That's also why it doesn't have dynamic brakes.

Glenn

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 13 2014 :  6:32:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Tyco DIDN'T make Mega Blocks
Tyco had their own bricks
The bricks were 1/2 a brick thicker than Lego Bricks
Only reason there are alot of Lego immitators is the patent expired

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - May 13 2014 :  10:27:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
TYCO was sued by LEGO waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back then Now as stated many an copycat is out now

Best place to find a LEGO train aside from net is a LEGO store

For the Lone ranger Film last year LEGO made set sadly it was not motorized

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 13 2014 :  11:13:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Super blocks was it?
quote:
Tyco DIDN'T make Mega Blocks
Tyco had their own bricks
The bricks were 1/2 a brick thicker than Lego Bricks
Only reason there are alot of Lego immitators is the patent expired

Originally posted by microbusss - May 13 2014 :  6:32:17 PM

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - May 14 2014 :  11:33:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Yeah That was the name Mega blocks at one time were LEGO sized but after legal action changed their size now do not know

Also TYCO had super doh which ticked off you guessed it

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 14 2014 :  12:34:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Hey Gmoney, I just realized the color scheme on your Lego Geep matches the unit on your Tyco Forums avatar
Edited by - metalsmith1 on May 15 2014 02:23:02 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 14 2014 :  1:39:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Super blocks was it?
Originally posted by metalsmith1 - May 13 2014 :  11:13:42 PM

Yeah that was it Super Blocks were 1/2 a brick bigger than Legos
Only reason Tyco & everyone else made Lego type bricks is the Patent on Lego Bricks expired

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - May 14 2014 :  10:39:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Gmoney, I just realized the color scheme on your Lego Geep matches the unit on your Tyco Forums avatar

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - May 14 2014 :  12:34:33 PM

I noticed that too. It's a complete coincidence! The colors of the Lego loco were dictated by what Lego pieces were available in my nephew's collection, and I certainly have no control over what colors the South Carolina Central paints its locomotives. Just a happy coincidence!

Glenn

Edited by - gmoney on May 15 2014 02:56:55 AM

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 14 2014 :  10:57:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Hey Gmoney, I just realizes the color scheme on your Lego Geep matches the unit on your Tyco Forums avatar

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - May 14 2014 :  12:34:33 PM

I noticed that too. It's a complete coincidence! The colors of the Lego loco were dictated by what Lego pieces were available in my nephew's collection, and I certainly have no control over what colors the South Carolina Central paints its locomotives. Just a happy coincidence!

Originally posted by gmoney - May 14 2014 :  10:39:59 PM

Oh ya, I've noticed that too.

-Steve

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - August 11 2014 :  01:58:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
For all you Lego fans out there I posted these pics I took at the latest local train show

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - August 11 2014 :  11:03:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
quote:
For all you Lego fans out there I posted these pics I took at the latest local train show

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - August 11 2014 :  01:58:47 AM

Cool photos! There are always a few tables of Lego trains at the local train shows in my area. I have to say I'm a bit jealous of Lego train enthusiasts. They can easily build any locomotive or car they want, they don't have to worry about tedious wiring, and best of all, if a train falls off a table and breaks into a million pieces, they can just put it back together again!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - August 29 2014 :  10:45:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
well LEGO IS NOT cheap but if you can get the resources as show here

you can make some great items

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 29 2014 :  10:52:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
well LEGO IS NOT cheap but if you can get the resources as show here

you can make some great items

Originally posted by thesiding - August 29 2014 :  10:45:26 PM

I've seen a simple Lego train starter set go for about $270 on Amazon!Talk about high prices.

-Steve

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - September 02 2014 :  6:11:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
True

BUT

if you shop around
A dozen years ago when my mother went to visit her mother in Fl she saw ad for trains for sale at a yard sale

Turned out it was a Lego set from 1986 w station

NEEDLESS TO SAY she paid WELL under a 100 for all of it (original retailed for 225.00 for all in 1996)

And if you got a Tuesday Morning near you they buy closeouts example the Time Life Bachmann set

did not get that but got the LEGO Amtrak set(never says it is BUT it.) for less then $ 60.00 mib

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 02 2014 :  10:09:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

did not get that but got the LEGO Amtrak set(never says it is BUT it.) for less then $ 60.00 mib

Originally posted by thesiding - September 02 2014 :  6:11:14 PM

That's actually really cheap for one of those Lego train sets mib. Seriously, the majority of them that I see are like well over $100. I really need to go to garage/yard sales more.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on September 02 2014 10:09:46 PM

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - September 03 2014 :  10:32:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Bought the LEGO "Amtrak" set at the store chain Tuesday Morning

They have a web site so you can find one maybe near you

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 03 2014 :  12:28:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Isn't Lego more like G scale about?

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - September 03 2014 :  4:16:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Track gauge wise but the other dimensions well...................

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 03 2014 :  6:38:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Track gauge wise but the other dimensions well...................

Originally posted by thesiding - September 03 2014 :  4:16:23 PM

Obviously they're their own gauge.

-Steve

Previous Topic: Charmerz - Charles Merzbach Topic Next Topic: Hafner 0 gauge wind-up ( at VA show )  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000