Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 25 ]  [ Total: 25 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Things you hate about Tyco
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Weird Things I Have Seen or Found Topic Next Topic: A Wee bit `o Fun  

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - March 12 2007 :  01:38:01 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
Hi Guys,

Don't label me as a Tyco hater,because I don't.
Actually I like most products that Tyco made or I wouldn't be on this forum.
But a few things really irritate the heck out of me.
Feel free to vent on what irks you.

1. PT Motors!!!!!! need I say more?
2. Crappy wobbly out of gauge wheels on rolling stock.
3. Fragile PLASTIC handrails on diesel locos.

What's on your s*^t list?

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator 

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - March 12 2007 :  10:24:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
Standing back a bit further than TYCO's poor PowerTorque motors and plastic rolling stock wheels, my TYCO complaint is that they're gone from the train biz.

Sure TYCO's quality wasn't the greatest, but I do think a TYCO set at Christmas when they were a kid is the basis for many guys love of the model railroad hobby. Sadly, I don't think we're bringing in the large numbers to the hobby that at one time did experience it.

Now, some will say it's not TYCO's exit from the industry but their many years of poor service that made HO-scale toy trains less popular. You can debate either side infinitly.

[}:)]

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Rush2NY
Little Six

Posted - March 12 2007 :  1:36:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Rush2NY to Buddylist
I agree with most of the above comments. Personally, the main thing that I hate about Tyco is that they were purchased by a major corporation. I say that because this is truly what placed the nail in the coffin. Had they stayed a private business, I think that quality may have improved, or at least, stayed the same.
Probably not enough to attract throngs of new hobbyists but at least enough to keep the ones that we've got.

Russ
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 100  ~  Member Since: June 18 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 01 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

meverett
Switcher

Posted - March 13 2007 :  10:53:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add meverett to Buddylist
I agree, I hate the fact they are no longer around. Because of Tyco I love the train hobby. As a kid I could afford to buy them
-Michael
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4  ~  Member Since: February 13 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2009 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

FreshFish
Switcher

Posted - March 14 2007 :  8:22:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add FreshFish to Buddylist
And those wobbly outa round wheels tend to give a bit of realism, if you ever witnessed long straight freight trains rolling down the line [:D]
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 33  ~  Member Since: January 28 2007  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - March 14 2007 :  9:18:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
hmmm...
hate about TYCO...
#1 that they no longer exist as a manufacturer.
#2 that when I first got my TYCO in 1976, that nowhere did it say on any box that it would be a tremendous collectors item in 20 or more years. [:D]
#3... hard to ponder this one... the affordability point is kinda mute to me... uh, 'cuz, their track was better than Bachmann... wow... perhaps that my collection of TYCO won't return to me ('cuz, I gotta look for them at present...)
#4... again, hard to ponder reasons... you'd think that someone woulda started to make TYCO trains in the simple die-cast version.
It's very hard to say cruddy things about TYCO beyond the stoppage of production, because the TYCO trains I got were in very good shape and lasted longer than them Bachmann trains. They had a tinge of durability and simplicity.
Well, that's my $0.O2 Canadian, nee American.

*well... If only Lionel bought up TYCO... they've been makin' trains for almost the past, ulp... 100 years.Lionel did make HO trains... I have a couple pieces... GN HD Flat-car with logs...

ZZZzzz

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on March 15 2007 03:32:30 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - March 18 2007 :  12:43:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
The most aggravating thing about Tyco is that they completely bumbled their legacy and product lines, time and time again.

So often they were on the cusp of greatness, and fell flat on their faces instead.

Example: cars like the 62' boxcars, covered hoppers, and center flows. These were impressive cars with decent detail, unlike anything available from the other RTR guys. And what do they do? Keep the same stubborn batch of stupid "household product" names for the entire run.

And they go through the trouble to tool a nice new car, and make baffling mistakes like the mixed hatches on the center flows, and the roofwalk on the 62' high cube.

Don't even get me started on the paint quality. It's like roulette: will you get a BN boxcar that's nice or looks like crap? Speaking of paint... reporting marks on the right sides? Hello????

I feel like Dr Jeckly fighting Mr Hyde here. It's the "modeler" versus the "kid who doesn't know better" in me. But if they'd only addressed some of those issues in the first place, they'd have a lot more respect and relevance in the modeler's mind overall.

Then you have their wonderful, still-sought building kits - sold alongside PowerTurds.

And yet the PowerTurd itself is something of an enigma: it DOES run better than a kader drive - WHEN it decides to run that well. Again, another crapshoot.

That's quite a rant, but the big kid in me still wins often enough. And I wish they were still around, or that someone else would intitiate a mass-market push today. Bachmann's modern sets are truly wonderful, but hard to find outside of December.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Weird Things I Have Seen or Found Topic Next Topic: A Wee bit `o Fun  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000