Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Car of the Week (COTW)
 COTW March 31 - April 6
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: CotW April 6 - April 12 Topic Next Topic: COTW March 23 - March 30  

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 30 2014 :  08:16:13 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Here are a pair of cars I recently got from cicsos2, an Athearn reefer and a Roundhouse box. I think this has started me on another slippery slope, collecting cars with Santa Fe passenger trains on their sides

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator 

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 30 2014 :  09:10:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
in keeping with JNXT 7707,heres mine ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 30 2014 :  10:27:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I know, I already posted this, but to keep with this week's theme I'll post my Athearn Santa Fe Chief reefer.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 30 2014 :  1:35:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Looking good! Might have to start a whole separate thread on them
I wonder how many different variations there are?

Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 30 2014 :  2:10:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist

Tyco piggyback Sea Land. I think I may have a couple of these...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 30 2014 :  3:53:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well ATSF did use the boxcars to advertize their
passenger service & show the system map which does include the Grand Canyon!![cool]
I'd post my GC car but am not home
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 30 2014 :  6:30:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Vintage 1970's Life Like Circus Flat with original load. The caboose is probably Athearn, dated to 1970's. Taken today at El Paso Model RR Club, founded 1950.

JMcNeal
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11208  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 11 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 30 2014 :  6:33:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
Chops124,nice set love it ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 30 2014 :  7:46:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I know a friend who has the circus coach. I believe it lights up.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 30 2014 :  8:58:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Love the circus flat by LL... One of only 3 or 4 cars I still wanna buy ...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

cicsos2
Little Six

SF Num 1108

Posted - March 30 2014 :  10:54:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cicsos2 to Buddylist
JNXT,

Nice work. I'm impressed.

Cheers
Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 122  ~  Member Since: May 17 2008  ~  Last Visit: July 29 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - March 31 2014 :  10:19:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
My COTW:

a Ulrich SOO Line General Service (GS) drop bottom gondola:

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 31 2014 :  12:11:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
I know a friend who has the circus coach. I believe it lights up.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - March 30 2014 :  7:46:02 PM

Still do. The axles are quite stiff on these coaches, because of the brass pick up strips contacting axles, but the old Pacific I use to haul them weighs in at least five pounds, so tractive effort is adequate.

JMcNeal
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11208  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 11 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 31 2014 :  12:21:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well since this car has shown up at a cattle car loading area Thanks to Chops124
Here is mine

& to think I gave $4 for this car in the box!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - March 31 2014 :  12:43:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Santa Fe Cars from Bud's Collection. Poor photos as they were cut from Inventory Pics.

Regards John ********

Men are not against you; they are merely for themselves. <> Gene Fowler
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 31 2014 :  1:23:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is one of the cars I got at the Greenberg train show this weekend.
** the " Bordens Milk Tank car ". unknown manufacture .
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - March 31 2014 :  6:34:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
My guess on the Borden's car is Red Ball. SO pissed I couldn't make it to Greenbergs

And a curse upon ye who got the Soo Line drop-bottom gondola! I want one as soon as I get all the doors working on the GN one I found...

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 31 2014 :  8:25:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Connor I have a red ball It different. I THINK ! My red is a good car this one the flat car part look like it was badly scratch built.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - March 31 2014 :  8:28:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Cannonball offered a similar kit in styrene... otherwise it's scratchbuilt, I've never heard of anyone else offering them.
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 31 2014 :  10:31:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
My COTW is a custom painted C&EI caboose.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 31 2014 :  10:56:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I like the Bordens Milk tank car, Frank

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 31 2014 :  11:40:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
My COTW is a custom painted C&EI caboose.
Originally posted by metalsmith1 - March 31 2014 :  10:31:52 PM

very nice I even like the LL caboose
Did you use a MP logo for the C&EI?

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - April 01 2014 :  01:07:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Great bunch of cars. That circus theme is pretty cool. It's amazing all the circus stuff you could get into; carnival rides, the whole shebang. I can see where all those circus cars would be quite fun to detail with the wagons and such.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - April 01 2014 :  08:08:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
nice lot of cars folks love most of them,ken

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 01 2014 :  6:56:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I like the Bordens Milk tank car, Frank

Originally posted by walt - March 31 2014 :  10:56:39 PM

Me too!It's gotta have something to do with the cool streamlined look of the car.

-Steve

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - April 02 2014 :  02:04:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Been awhile since I posted in one of these! Old Model Power 40' boxcar that I weathered.

Bought a few lots of HO stuff over the winter. I wanted to just have a project to blow off some mental steam and I love weathering. So I picked this out since Conrail stuff its a bit new for my taste BUT local to where I live. Also got a used airbrush awhile ago so this car was basically a test. Conrail never had an 40' boxcars with the big "C" logo painted on them. But they did own a few from other roads so I decided to make the boxcar look like it was a patch job. I covered the logo & lettering with tape. Sprayed the whole car a dull red. Weathered it with some chalks on the sides. Used the airbrush and gave it a grimy effect on the roof & ends. Then pulled the tape off to give the impression the logos & text were quickly shopped then pushed back out onto the rails again. For a test I really like how it came out. Not too far down the road I decided it will get a new set of trucks & couplers and I'll let it slide in with the older road names on the rails ;)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - April 02 2014 :  06:32:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Chris that is incredible Taking notes and going to try out that technique myself. Great job
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - April 02 2014 :  8:42:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
That conrail box is so neat! I actually have the same car and tried to do the exact same thing to it... when I was 9... with sharpie marker. Obviously nothing close to what you turned it into. Top stuff!
I believe the only 40' cars Conrail inherited in revenue service were some ex-PC cars, plus a bunch of cars (mainly ex-Reading) kept in storage and tool car service. I once saw a picture of CSX still running one in its original rust-bucket RDG paint somewhere! But would you believe, even less likely but oh, 'tis true, Conrail actually kept some former RDG offset-side 2-bay hoppers long enough to paint them in full conrail colors!

--CRC

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 03 2014 :  01:39:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
Great bunch of cars. That circus theme is pretty cool. It's amazing all the circus stuff you could get into; carnival rides, the whole shebang. I can see where all those circus cars would be quite fun to detail with the wagons and such.

Originally posted by Barry - April 01 2014 :  01:07:58 AM

Yep, that circus thing could get pretty dangerous- lots and lots of stuff out there. I rec'd one vintage LL circus car from my sister in Florida, who just liked it. Then I ended up with another four, and the vintage flat, YIKES!

So I'm trying to curb my circus ambitions with just one more Tyco stock car with a pink elephant (?) or such hanging out an open door.

These old LL models are pretty stiff around the axles, so it was fortuitous the club still has its vintage Pacific that pulls it fairly easily. That Pacific could be used for an anchor, it is so heavy, but it pulls like a mule.

JMcNeal

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - April 03 2014 :  08:28:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
JNXT 7707 & PRR 4800 Thank you! Here is a good page of the kinds of 40' cars Conrail did field. With some decals and more weathering I could have taken this even further if I wanted.
http://thecrhs.org/ConrailEquipment/FreightCars/Boxcars/40ft

But I think for a cheap box car it came out to be something fairly plausible. Which I really enjoy taking things that are toy like and giving them a more realistic appearance, even if they didn't exist in real life. A few years ago I posted this on here it was one of my early full on decal jobs. It drove my one PRR rivet counting friend nuts because PRR never had this scheme on this boxcar lol. Underneith it's nothing more than a Tyco 50' boxcar!
/tyco/forum/uploaded/ChrisC/trains190.jpg
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - April 03 2014 :  09:40:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Jeff,
How many time have we said this in our model train worlds?

"So I'm trying to curb my circus ambitions with just one more Tyco stock car with a pink elephant (?) or such hanging out an open door."

Chris,
I agree with the use of the Tyco, Life Like, and other toy cars. When painted and decaled they are plausible models that may be handled with out the details falling off. Great looking car.

Regards, John **************

I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved. <> Will Rodgers

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - April 05 2014 :  12:53:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
That is a great looking car ChrisC. You had me fooled until I read the post. I just assumed this one had been made at one point but I was impressed by the quality of the finish and the crispness of the graphics. Well done!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 05 2014 :  10:31:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Jeff,
How many time have we said this in our model train worlds?

"So I'm trying to curb my circus ambitions with just one more Tyco stock car with a pink elephant (?) or such hanging out an open door."

Chris,
I agree with the use of the Tyco, Life Like, and other toy cars. When painted and decaled they are plausible models that may be handled with out the details falling off. Great looking car.

Regards, John **************

I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved. <> Will Rodgers

Originally posted by JRG1951 - April 03 2014 :  09:40:26 AM

That quote you put there is basically how most of us here feel about Tyco. You just can't stop collecting them.Not that it's a bad thing though as long as you enjoy doing it.

-Steve

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - April 05 2014 :  7:07:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
JNXT 7707 & PRR 4800 Thank you! Here is a good page of the kinds of 40' cars Conrail did field. With some decals and more weathering I could have taken this even further if I wanted.
http://thecrhs.org/ConrailEquipment/FreightCars/Boxcars/40ft

But I think for a cheap box car it came out to be something fairly plausible. Which I really enjoy taking things that are toy like and giving them a more realistic appearance, even if they didn't exist in real life. A few years ago I posted this on here it was one of my early full on decal jobs. It drove my one PRR rivet counting friend nuts because PRR never had this scheme on this boxcar lol. Underneith it's nothing more than a Tyco 50' boxcar!
/tyco/forum/uploaded/ChrisC/trains190.jpg

Originally posted by ChrisC - April 03 2014 :  08:28:10 AM

As another PRR rivet-counter, AAAAARRRGGHH!!!! That's supposed to go on a 40' boxcar!! Shame upon you!!

--CRC

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 05 2014 :  9:55:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Don't stand me still!
*yells at boxcar* we have to To get you loaded

Neat boxcar tho
PRR 4800 - ohh quiet you Who cares about "rivetcounting" Long as car or loco looks good Its ok
  Previous Topic: CotW April 6 - April 12 Topic Next Topic: COTW March 23 - March 30  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000