Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Train show and flea market and other finds.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tour the Mantua factory in 1948 Topic Next Topic: crazy but cool video
Page: of 21

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - November 23 2014 :  1:38:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
I think I saw that M&STL GP7 at Scranton.

Would have loved to have found that Erie caboose instead. I'd have bought it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 30 2014 :  8:10:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** Now the this weekend's Edison NJ Greenburg train show is history, I can report on my finds.
* First members I meet at show were Nelson ( NickelPlate759 ), Pete ( AF kid ), and Rich ( Helm ). All came on Saturday.
* Saturday I went home with two Mantua 1880 old time brass passenger car boxed kits. Two Gilbert HO cars. NYC box car 33002, and N&W gondola 33505. A Penn-Line Southern RR flat car with wood load #453. Varney tank car Houston Texas. Tyco super 680. The one with the Rivarossi drive. Loco is painted flat black with no hand rails. That was Saturday. I received 2 buildings from Nelson as a gift. A small station and a farm building and crane parts. At the show. I'll post photos later on.
* Sunday Vollmer station 43510. One like it on e-bay 400759587228 was at 107.99 when I checked at 11:38 PM. Rivarossi MRC Alco century 420. Lehigh Valley #480. Athearn kitbashed. Lehigh Valley SW8 #265. Dynamic breaks added with LV paint. Sakai 40' box car REA express, and N&W 2 bay hopper. International, 40' reefer Carnation milk, and 40' box car C&O white sides. Tyco 1880 combine ATSF white gray goof. Tyco 3 car passenger set Santa Fe 1880 yellow with black roof. 1 combine and 2 coaches. Lionel #0357. Hydraulic platform maintenance car. Die cast 65' war emergency gondola, maybe main line kit car.
I'll take photos tomorrow. frank

Here are the locos and cars.

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on November 30 2014 9:33:48 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - November 30 2014 :  11:00:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Nice haul Frank!!

I went to the local Kittanning VFD show today and purchased these pieces... all for less than $100 including the entrance fee. I think it was a pretty good haul!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!

Edited by - Mustangs_n_Trains on November 30 2014 11:16:34 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 01 2014 :  07:00:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
HI Sean. That is the neat Mantua General with the Cary Pittsburgh boiler. Sean I know you had to get it cause it was made close to home. And the beefy Mantua mike is no light weight 2-8-2. There is a big difference in weight when you hold a mike made 2 years ago and that one. The caboose looks to be a Roundhouse. I think most people know who made the drop bottom gondolas. A nice haul. Frank

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - December 01 2014 :  08:37:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
I did the little Pittston, PA show Sunday.

Picked up a Tyco Plymouth in Republic Steel colors in the original box, and a Spectrum 2-8-0 for stupid cheap.

It's a little bitty show in a Seminary gymnasium, but I sold better than I did at Scranton in October.

I've considered Edison, but it's such a big show with so much competition I don't know if it would pay for itself for the extra distance and cost involved.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 21 2014 :  3:11:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
This morning at the Englishtown Flea market. I found 3 things. A gray ho scale High School building $5. , a Gilbert exploding reefer that needs a set of trucks $3. and a Irish sightseeing bus. A little to big for HO unless I put it a little distance away for HO items for a photo. That's all I found. frank

toptrain

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 21 2014 :  3:57:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
ok I know what the sign means on the car but "do not hump this car" is still funny
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 03 2015 :  2:59:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Today at the Greenberg train show at Somerset new Jersey.

Locomotives; Tyco 4-6-0 C&FW RR. Hooterville Cannonball, Marx Hudson, Aristo Craft 0-8-0 Ashland Coal Co., Front Range GP9 Ph 1 PRR, AHM RS 2 Union Pacific RR.

Cars; Model Power Mantua Classic D&RGW coach, Tyco CB&Q light car, Gilbert NYC covered hopper, Life Like Davison covered Hopper, 5 AHM old time passenger cars, baggage 1 combine 2, coach 2. And Dickensville Christmas train set.

toptrain

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - January 03 2015 :  4:25:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Ah, Dickensville, isn't that a Charles Dickens related thing? If so, what were they thinking?
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - January 03 2015 :  7:55:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I stopped at a thrift store not too far from my house (actually very close to the local train station, too!) I was surprised to see they had quite a bit of used model train stuff there! So I bought some of it...

IDK where I could set up the hopper car dump thing; I might save it for a future layout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 03 2015 :  9:21:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
moped dealer! gimmies!
note the sign is the same from the Freezee Ice Cream set
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 03 2015 :  11:08:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
That's cool, Ben!! How did you ever notice that??
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - January 04 2015 :  11:43:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I stopped at a thrift store not too far from my house (actually very close to the local train station, too!) I was surprised to see they had quite a bit of used model train stuff there! So I bought some of it...

IDK where I could set up the hopper car dump thing; I might save it for a future layout.

Originally posted by wiley209 - January 03 2015 :  7:55:22 PM

You found all that at a thrift store?I'm lucky to find anything model railroad related at my local thrift shop.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - January 04 2015 :  8:58:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
Today at the Greenberg train show at Somerset new Jersey.

Locomotives;... Aristo Craft 0-8-0 Ashland Coal Co...

Originally posted by toptrain - January 03 2015 :  2:59:29 PM

Does your AC&I 0-8-0 actually NOT have zinc rot on the tender like it appears? If so I am SO jealous mine is almost falling apart

--CRC
Edited by - PRR 4800 on January 04 2015 8:59:39 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 04 2015 :  9:18:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Connor; I have 4. this one I just got yesterday. All it needs is a truck. I have one to put on it. I wish I had a box for this one. I haven't test it yet. The tender is perfect. So is the loco. Are you going to Allentown in 2 weeks.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 04 2015 :  9:36:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Connor; I have 4. Only one tender was good. Two have mantua tenders behind them. This one I just got yesterday. All it needs is a truck. I have one to put on it. I wish I had a box for this one. I haven't test it yet. The tender is perfect. So is the loco. Are you going to Allentown in 2 weeks. Sat at Merchants Square Mall.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 17 2015 :  8:06:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Today at the Allentown train show I meet up with Pete and Nelson, my finds. Some Varney cars, Gilbert cars 33211 CE&I hopper,, a pair of Triang coaches. A Lionel stock car. A globe tank car body, a Lindberg caboose in its box, and a Bachmann box car. Even 3 small trucks.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 06 2017 04:55:48 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 17 2015 :  9:09:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Today at the Allentown train show I meet up with Pete and Nelson, my finds. Some Varney cars, Gilbert cars, a pair of Triang coaches. A Lionel stock car. A globe tank car body, a Lindberg caboose in its box, and a Bachmann box car. Even 3 small trucks.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - January 17 2015 :  8:06:33 PM

chicken cattle car is a Lionel! want!
nice finds tho I likes
Who made the fire truck?

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 28 2015 :  4:55:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Finds at the Greenberg train show today in Edison new jersey.
Marx small New Haven diesel in black with orange lettering. $ 10.
Marx NYC green caboose. $ 5.
Mantua-tyco reading Floodlight car. $ 5.
MDC Pullman combine. $ 5.
Tyco SF Alco super 630. $ 10.
Lima Alco 420 Lehigh Valley. bad drive. $10.
Book on L&NE railroad. $ 5.

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 28 2015 :  5:13:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
If something look's familiar about the LV diesel I got today you are right. This LV Alco #408 is made by Lima. Now I have just gotten another one back in November 2014 . It is made by Rivarossi.

Rivarossi loco.

Lima loco.

Now in the recent past Rivarossi bought Lima and owns it now.
This explains the 2 identical locos with 2 different manufactures names on them.

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 16 2015 :  3:29:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well at the Clark train show last Sunday I got I real good locomotive and 2 other hard to find ones. The good locomotive is a Sunset Models USRA Heavy 2-8-2. It was the cheapest good brass piece at this show. Like new it has never been painted.
* My imagined use for it is as a CRR of NJ Super Mike . I am soon going back to me Ashley shop project. From 1918 to the 1950's The CRR of NJ kept mikado's as Ashley for pulling trains up and over the Ashley Plains backtrack. CRR of NJ never had heavy freight power. The largest and heaviest they had was the Super Mikes.
* Now the other two locos I got were ones I never found before. A Famoco PRR B1 electric switcher, and I think a Lindsay small diesel switcher. The B1 came in a International box for a O1 electric, 4-4-4. Maybe some day I'll get one of these.
* After these I found a few HO train cars. a Tyco Bunk Car for the PRR. A HObbyline caboose. A either Mantua or International caboose. A caboose kitbashed into a Northampton and Bath one. And a all metal gondola with no name on it. Also got a book , The Reading Power, by Bert Pennypacker.
frank

Sunset Models, USRA heavy 2-8-2.

Famoco. PRR B1

Lindsay diesel

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 16 2015 8:06:52 PM

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - March 16 2015 :  4:15:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I really like the red engine Frank! It's actually a Lindsay product. I've been out bidded on thes . One day.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - March 17 2015 :  8:10:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
Well at the Clark train show last Sunday I got I real good locomotive and 2 other hard to find ones. The good locomotive is a Sunset Models USRA Heavy 2-8-2. It was the cheapest good brass piece at this show. Like new it has never been painted.
* My imagined use for it is as a CRR of NJ Super Mike . I am soon going back to me Ashley shop project. From 1918 to the 1950's The CRR of NJ kept mikado's as Ashley for pulling trains up and over the Ashley Plains backtrack. CRR of NJ never had heavy freight power. The largest and heaviest they had was the Super Mikes.
* Now the other two locos I got were ones I never found before. A Famoco PRR B1 electric switcher, and I think a Lindsay small diesel switcher. The B1 came in a International box for a O1 electric, 4-4-4. Maybe some day I'll get one of these.
* After these I found a few HO train cars. a Tyco Bunk Car for the PRR. A HObbyline caboose. A either Mantua or International caboose. A caboose kitbashed into a Northampton and Bath one. And a all metal gondola with no name on it. Also got a book , The Reading Power, by Bert Pennypacker.
frank

Sunset Models, USRA heavy 2-8-2.

Famoco. PRR B1

Lindsay diesel

Originally posted by toptrain - March 16 2015 :  3:29:34 PM

Famoco B1. Exceptionally rare, top of my wish list. You are VERY lucky to have found that!

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 22 2015 :  5:01:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Today I was at the Greenberg's Train and Toy Show at Wilmington, MA. Here is what I bought...

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 11 2015 :  2:18:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Meadowland flea market
4-11-2015
Things I got there today.

Champ set box cover

Champ set as I got it all are Varney cars and like new. I didn't buy this right away. I took this photo at the flea market and went roaming around. I made up my mind to get it while walking back to the car. Took a walk back and it was still there.

10 loose car and a RDC powered. The 0-4-0 came with the set.

* The four cars in the left row are all made from wood kits. The center row top is a MDC car, the shell tank car is a Ahearn's all metal car, Below that the NYC box car is tyco-mantua, The babe Ruth reefer is a old all metal Mantua with paper sides, The left row top and under that, Ritz Crackers and Fig Nutons, are both Model Power cars. The PRR 0-4-0 is Mahano and for some reason came with the CHAMP set. The RDC is ATT by TRIANG and is powered.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on April 12 2015 07:51:28 AM

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 11 2015 :  3:03:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
The RDC looks like the one made by ATT. Take a look.
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/atttrainsresource/id112.html

-Steve

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - April 11 2015 :  3:25:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
quote:
Also a old Mantua Sinclair tank car.

Originally posted by toptrain - November 23 2014 :  10:29:55 AM

I saw that 303 series Sinclair still with Mantua couplers. I like those. Have a couple, and a couple of SilverStreak tankers.
Dave
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 12 2015 :  09:26:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Fig Newtons & Ritz cars I'm looking for hehe

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 18 2015 :  10:45:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well here it is Saturday again. I woke up early just before 7AM. Got dressed and went to meadowlands flea market again. The same dealer I know and got the trains from last week was there and had some different cars. I got 6 of them.
Mantua Milwaukee Road reefer, A NMRA club car for the Wisconsin Central Division, unknown old wood reefer, Rath's Black Hawk Hams, a old wood reefer, Lionel D&RGW stock car, HObbyline green Great Northern box car, and last a Mantua 75th year car. Like last week they were $2 each.

toptrain

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 18 2015 :  11:53:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Very nice stuff you got there, man. Lots of interesting items.
-Steve

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 18 2015 :  2:14:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Stephen, that's what happens when you become a old car ( junk ) collector. I guess I am a train hoarder.
frank

toptrain

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 18 2015 :  5:16:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Stephen, that's what happens when you become a old car ( junk ) collector. I guess I am a train hoarder.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - April 18 2015 :  2:14:06 PM

That is very true, actually.

-Steve

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 03 2015 :  6:10:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The old junk car collector is back from the franklin NJ Train show with his finds.
* Gilbert Hudson with vertical shaft motor cab # 5318 with smoke making tender. #151.
* Gilbert B&O caboose 33519.
* Gilbert PRR caboose 33506.
* Mantua brass bobber caboose.
* Marx Santa Fe GP7.
* Gilbert 3 dome tank # 511. Is parts, complete tank only, no frame, or trucks.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on October 30 2016 09:03:07 AM

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - May 03 2015 :  6:44:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
The old junk car collector is back from the franklin NJ Train show with his finds.
* Gilbert Hudson with vertical shaft motor cab # 5318 with smoke making tender.
* Gilbert B&O caboose 33519.
* Gilbert PRR caboose 33506.
* Mantua brass bobber caboose.
* Marx Santa Fe GP7.
* Gilbert 3 dome tank # 511. Is parts, complete tank only, no frame, or trucks.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - May 03 2015 :  6:10:15 PM

Interesting, Frank...nice score too.

The Santa Fe GP7 especially - never have seen one done in UP colors. Is that a repaint someone did?

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 03 2015 :  7:11:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
No Jerry is isn't. it is a stock Marx paint skeam . They used UP colors and ATSF lettering. Also these are toy trains made by Louis Marx. The trains are rugged, inexpensive, long lasting, and easy to fix. Made to be played with.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 17 2015 09:09:19 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 10 2015 :  10:19:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** My finds from yesterday's Allentown train show. At Merchants Square Mall.
* A HO Train Company, New One, 4-6-2 camelback. Came with a brass tender. The castings boiler, frame, cab, drivers, cylinders, and all are free of any corrosion. The bad castings which are broken and not corroded are the valve gear hanger, front pilot, and a walkway step. Couldn't pass this one up for $40. The tender isn't correct but looks OK and is all brass.

* The 8 old tank cars.
* The reason for getting the Silver Varney Sinclair is it's number. 38000 is rarely seen and may be the one made for Penn-Line to sell. This is one of 3 plastic tank car in the photo. The other 2 are Gilbert 517 Mobilgas, and Varney red Koppers. The Gilbert, a double, ( ops !! this is wrong for this 517 is a Varney car and my other 517 is a different Gilbert car.) was gotten for parts to repair my 511 3 dome Gulf tank car which is a one of a kind for me. It is more important to me to add a complete 511 to my collection. ( so my need for parts to fix 511 still goes on.)
* Now the other 5 cars, Deep-Rock 3 dome, Magnolia, Sinclair (black), UTLX 3 dome, and Shell, are all globe all metal tank cars and I couldn't pass up getting for the $2 each.

* The 5 Reading Athearn passenger cars.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 17 2015 09:16:14 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 24 2015 :  07:14:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well of the 8 tank cars I got at the last Allentown show which had a photo of them posted here a few days ago all are back on the track. The 3 dome deep rock needing the most work. Here is a before and after view.

As I showed it with the other 7 cars, with a useless busted tank frame. I found one that fit. It is a old lead casting from I have no idea where or when. It was sitting with some other frame parts in a tray. It took a few trys but it all came together. It still is a Athearn all metal car with a upgrade. The original Athearn painted and lettered tank body still looks great, 65 years latter on.

As I got it.

done, completed.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 24 2015 07:18:20 AM

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - May 24 2015 :  08:17:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Great job Frank. Love those older metal cars.
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 24 2015 :  11:14:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Great job Frank. Love those older metal cars.

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - May 24 2015 :  08:17:54 AM

Hi Jerry; Got to try to keep them running. Even if it means using other manufactures parts. Just want to see them still going around the layout.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 19 2015 :  12:40:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
*** I just got back from the Wayne NJ train show at the pal hall there.
** I got 18 cars and no engines. Most from a dealer named Gary that I have known for a long time. My list below.

Wayne Train show 07-19-2015

1 Mantua Valvoline Oil tank car.
2 Mantua Quaker State Oil tank car.
3 Mantua College Inn Reefer # CIPX 140.
4 Athearn Union 76 gas UOCX 0327, tank car
5 Tri-Ang Liverpool Manchester, old time coach, "Experience".
6 Tri-Ang Liverpool Manchester, old time coach, "Experience".
7 Tri-Ang Liverpool Manchester, old time coach, "Dispatch".
8 Tri-Ang Liverpool Manchester, old time coach, "Dispatch".
9 Tri-Ang snow plow TR 53427.
10 Ambroid Water Mellon Car ACL, wood kit.
11 Athearn Rio-Grande, Cookie box car 60600. Maybe Bev-Bel.
12 Revell CB&Q auto- dump 2 bay hopper 4044. operating arms are Ok, not broken.
13 Con-Cor old time passenger car. Durango and Silverton #350, "General Palmer". boxed
14 Con-Cor old time passenger car. Durango and Silverton, # 87, "Alamosa". Boxed.
15 All Metal tank car undecorated, color black?
16 Varney Carbine tank car, # GATX 648. For parts
17 Gilbert NH box car #512 for parts.
18 Varney PRR 472418 flat car, need trucks.
Oops !
19 and 20 Piko Germen style box cars.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on July 19 2015 8:44:47 PM

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - July 19 2015 :  2:31:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
Great pile of finds, Frank.
I'm sometimes envious of the number of train shows out east.
BUT, it's probably just as well there aren't that many near where I live.
I'd soon be out of money.
I'm very selective when I go to the local shows.
Evan
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - July 19 2015 :  3:01:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
boy you are a busy bee,catching all those nice items ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 19 2015 :  8:31:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well guys before today May 10 was my last show. There were some but just to far for me to go to. May 10th my last before today was Allentown Pennsylvania. That is about one and a half hours travel for me. The Wayne show is 35 minutes.

frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 08 2015 :  2:20:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** Today and tomorrow is the Greenberg train show at Edison NJ. I thought I'd get dozen cars. I found 3 right away.
* 2 Tyco/Mantua old time house cars and a German box car with a brakeman shelter.

* Then I found this. never expected it.

* A Hornby A4 streamlined pacific Silver Fox. * Well after buying this I got $3. I left the show, and went home. I will be back tomorrow to help put everything back in boxes and back in the van.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on August 08 2015 3:50:50 PM

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 08 2015 :  2:50:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
frank,nice military railroad cars,and a sweet a4 loco ken,corrected but not before frank changed his,he was right,brains going to pot
this is the hornby silver fox and cars back in my youth

dinky

Edited by - catfordken on August 09 2015 08:13:30 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 08 2015 :  10:04:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
OOOOO! Londeon Northeastern Railway A4 OO scale!
How much was it?

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - August 08 2015 :  11:41:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Love the Hornby Silver Fox!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 09 2015 :  01:31:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Very nice loco.
-Steve

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 09 2015 :  07:58:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
whilst being overshadowed by its sister mallard,the silver fox can hold its head high in the annuls of locomotive history
The Silver Fox, locomotive about 1935
Place: London, England
Description: A works photograph of the London & North Eastern Railway A4 class 4-6-2 locomotive number 2512 Silver Fox, about 1935. This locomotive was designed by Sir Nigel Gresley at Doncaster Works. It holds the record for the highest speed recorded for a steam hauled passenger train. It pulled the Silver Jubilee train from London to Edinburgh at a speed of 113 miles per hour in August 1936.

the carriages were unique in uk as they were composed of two twin-set articulated coaches, and one triple-set; seven coaches in all,2 trains hauled the service, silver link and silver fox,a service to celebrate king georges jubilee in 1935

Edited by - catfordken on August 09 2015 08:12:20 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 09 2015 :  10:57:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
whilst being overshadowed by its sister mallard,the silver fox can hold its head high in the annuls of locomotive history
The Silver Fox, locomotive about 1935
Place: London, England
Description: A works photograph of the London & North Eastern Railway A4 class 4-6-2 locomotive number 2512 Silver Fox, about 1935. This locomotive was designed by Sir Nigel Gresley at Doncaster Works. It holds the record for the highest speed recorded for a steam hauled passenger train. It pulled the Silver Jubilee train from London to Edinburgh at a speed of 113 miles per hour in August 1936.

the carriages were unique in uk as they were composed of two twin-set articulated coaches, and one triple-set; seven coaches in all,2 trains hauled the service, silver link and silver fox,a service to celebrate king georges jubilee in 1935

Originally posted by catfordken - August 09 2015 :  07:58:36 AM

Ken Did the silver fox get its smoke stack upgraded to a double stack for the test. I know that the Mallard had a double stack when tested, and I always thought that the improved stack allowed the engine the breath better with less back pressure in the exhaust, and this a major reason for the Locomotive to be able to run so quickly. If the fox did it with its original single stack I am not sure what to think of what happened here.
frank

toptrain

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: Tour the Mantua factory in 1948 Topic Next Topic: crazy but cool video  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000