Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Train show and flea market and other finds.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tour the Mantua factory in 1948 Topic Next Topic: crazy but cool video
Page: of 21

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - May 12 2019 :  1:06:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
Frank, to be honest I doubt, that I will ever go back to that show. It just keeps getting worse and worse.
There is either junk for sale or the better items are priced way beyond what they are worth.... The number dealers there are getting less and less there also....

Edited by - AF Kid on May 13 2019 11:16:46 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - June 27 2019 :  10:43:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Just won this lot off eBay, three boxed tyco locomotives and an amtrak coach for $25 shipped!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Vintage-HO-Scale-Tyco-Locomotive-Engines-Santa-Fe-Burlington-Chattanooga-/202711886851?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 27 2019 :  9:52:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Excellent find, bnsfIA!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 28 2019 :  09:56:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Beauties, and what a deal! More passenger service to Iowa!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - June 29 2019 :  1:31:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Scored a nice deal this morning. A local burb was having an entire town garage sale so we went to check it out. In the middle of it was a house with an estate sale. Once in the door I knew the previous occupant that had moved to the great beyond had been a train guy. His layout was gone but a lot of memorabilia was for sale. I picked up a few metal signs cheap but my wife handed me a binder I had only glanced at and said 'Happy Birthday!' It was a collection of UP patches. Thirty-eight, all like new. I asked what she paid and it was a whopping $2. A quick internet check show them having been like $15 + $2 S+H a piece. E-bay is asking $150 to $255. The binder alone is $15. Not bad, my wife did good. Thanks Deb!

Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 30 2019 :  01:02:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nice grab, Gary!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 30 2019 :  09:13:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome score!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 01 2019 :  07:38:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Where I went to search for new info on trains. In this case a book sale. My son stopped over on friday after work before he drove home to Saylorsburg Pa. Along with giving me some ideas on mountain building, and some stuff to do it with steve also told me of a book sale his club the Anthracite Railway Historical Society had on for last saturday at some railroad property in own's along the old CNJ south of Palmerton Pa. Here at this location is a old freight station at Lehigh Gap, a field-stone two story building. and a restored CNJ caboose with it original number on it. One man's large railroad book collection was being sold off. It was acquired by the society as a gift from this man's family after he had passed away. Well my 2 hour road trip went quickly and I recognized many of the members who attended this sale. I was able to find 4 books . The Pennsylvania railroad Vol 1 1846 to 1917 by Albert J. Churella, a mammoth 945 page 11 1/2" high, X 8 1/2 " wide, X 2" thick. History of American locomotives 1830-1880. by John H. white Jr.. The Jersey Central Railroads first 100 years by Elaine Anderson. and last Over and Back, a history of ferry boats in New York Harbor by Brian Cudahy. A another large 472 page book.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on July 01 2019 07:40:14 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 01 2019 :  07:52:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is what my new books look like. 1 of them, the John White book, I had before and it was a bad copy that everytime I read it it stunk of mildew to the point that I threw it away. Another book cnj's first 100 years my copy is falling apart. Both books weer just 10. apiece . The other 2 large hard covers the early PRR history, and the Ferry book were 25 apiece.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on July 01 2019 07:53:59 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 01 2019 :  08:25:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Great finds, Frank!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 01 2019 :  12:57:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
real cool
I likes the caboose, signs & the Danger Hot Rail sign
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 01 2019 :  1:33:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Rather like that book on 1830 and up locomotive development.
Bet that's going to be a good read.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 02 2019 :  07:45:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Thanks everyone. I seen the white book on locomotives on Amazon used for low prices. And Buss how did you notice the little signe over the door. You should call yourself eagle-eye. And RP it was a nice road trip even though I got lost and wound up in Northampton after missing a detour sign.
* When I went into the old stone house it was full of books also. for some reason I didn't take photos inside that building.
here's a couple of more pictures.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on July 02 2019 07:55:26 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 02 2019 :  08:01:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Heres a few more photos around the stone house.
frank

toptrain

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 02 2019 :  9:09:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I see a DANGER sign I want it!

Seen one once that read Stop look & listen
I have quite a few myself

Yeah I woulda been looking for Western Railroad books like BN UP & others

Also I haven't found anything train related at garage/yard sales
but I hope to seen

Edited by - microbusss on July 02 2019 9:11:08 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 03 2019 :  9:09:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
I see a DANGER sign I want it!

Seen one once that read Stop look & listen
I have quite a few myself

Yeah I woulda been looking for Western Railroad books like BN UP & others

Also I haven't found anything train related at garage/yard sales
but I hope to seen

Originally posted by microbusss - July 02 2019 :  9:09:07 PM

dont worry Buss, your uck will change.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 05 2019 :  2:31:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Charlie's house stuff I got today. Visited a friend today to help him a little and he was holding a train set for me. The set didn't have it original box. It is a HOBBYLINE Erie passenger set with 2 FA-1 diesels, only one is powered, and 4 cars. One combine, and 3 day coaches all factory painted and lettered. It is a perfect set in appearance only missing some of the original couplers. I'll post some photos.

HObbyline EIRE, Lake City Express set, #451

*Historic note: One of our model train magazines the Craftsman, in the past published Builders Plates of model trains made back then. Occasionally doing classic locomotives from 10 to 20 years back before the publishing date and labeled them Classic. In the August addition of 1963 on page 30 and 31 builder plates 84 to 89 were published. For RMC this was not typical but special for usually only 3 were done on one page. Plate 86, page 30 was the HObbyline Alco FA-1 and the model photo chosen was this EIRE FA-1. In the descriptive text an important bit of info was a part of it. From information RMC had on this particular set they called it scarce. I know from sales information that this set was actually 2 different sets in that one had 3 passenger cars and the other 4 passenger cars. My set is #451, the “Lake City Express”. It is listed in a HOseeker online HObbyline 1955 catalog on page 5. There is a drawing on it and a list of what came with the set.
* Important info from the Builder Plate is that these plastic models were first made in 1953 and ceased in 1957, and also that the EIRE FA1 and passenger cars were scarce buck in 1963, I would say even more so now. This model was issued as ready to run with a polyethylene plastic body, and nylon power trucks. Pittman DC-62A powered the eight wheel drive with flexible shaft. Standard were HObbyline plastic split knuckle couplers. Post war John A. English “B” units that were made in Zamac metal castings, were not converted to plastic. 1954 list price was powered A Unit $12.95. Dummy “A” unit $5.95. Plastic locos were sold under the HObbyline trademark.

frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on July 06 2019 09:16:16 AM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 05 2019 :  9:52:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
SUPERB acquisition, toptrain! Congrats!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 06 2019 :  12:48:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I FINALLY got some trains from a garage sale for $6!!

got my feets in shot again

2 locos!

I think this a Athern
it has a odd spring drive around the wheels

missing the gas tank So will be searching for one

um no Chops you isn't getting the Tyco PC red caboose this time
other ATSF caboose will be sent out for fantasy Tyco cabooses that never were
Like the USA Express hehe

Edited by - microbusss on July 06 2019 2:45:33 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 06 2019 :  3:20:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I did see that, but was drooling over the Amtrak switcher. Nice grabs, Busss.

That Hobbyline set is Maximum.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 06 2019 :  4:49:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
My guess is the Santa-fe with the wheel and spring I think is Lindberg. The Amtrak if mehano.
frank

toptrain

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 06 2019 :  9:44:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice lot, microbusss! Congrats!

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 28 2019 :  8:15:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Finds from the Hamburg PA train show.
frank
Hamburg Pa. train show 7-28-19.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on August 07 2019 08:30:17 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 28 2019 :  8:25:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is the ridgerunner set with the proper cars in it with a picture from the new catalog of this set. it is the one scene in the center.
frank

This is the HO train co. 4-4-2 that is in the box. You can see the tender frame is warping.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on July 29 2019 09:24:58 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 29 2019 :  12:54:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
So, that is pretty great stuff. Let me ask, did the
"Hobby Line" caboose come with it like that, not
PRR? This stuff must really have been eye popping
to the guys in the '50's, being so small and looking
so good.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 29 2019 :  09:21:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
So, that is pretty great stuff. Let me ask, did the
"Hobby Line" caboose come with it like that, not
PRR? This stuff must really have been eye popping
to the guys in the '50's, being so small and looking
so good.

Originally posted by Chops124 - July 29 2019 :  12:54:19 AM

Jeff this set came ready to run. It now has the correct cars that are shown in the 1955 catalog.

toptrain

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - July 31 2019 :  01:18:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:

This is the HO train co. 4-4-2 that is in the box. You can see the tender frame is warping.

Originally posted by toptrain - July 28 2019 :  8:25:53 PM

Hey, I parted out one of these Aristocraft 4-4-2's a while back that had a zinc rotten engine frame. I have the tender to spare if you would like to replace yours with a rot-free one.

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 07 2019 :  08:28:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Connor I have a straight frame I will use on the 4-4-2 when I get around to working on it. Thanks for the offer, I do appreciate it. Plus that tender is something you car use with and 4-4-2 or 4-6-0 made by new one. I do know the 4-6-0's had a different tender than the 4-4-2's but in a pinch, they do look fine switched either way. You see a lot of them, when auctioned or sold on E-Bay, with the terders switched. I guess the average person doesn't really know.
Here is the only photo I took at of the Hamburg train show. It is heavily toned down because of a lot of strong sun backlighting. Also I edited in a list of my finds in my last post. I'll put it here and take it out of there. Yep more editing.

My list.

Hamburg Pa. train show 7-28-19.

HObbyline boxed set “The Ridge Runner” set #446.
Items with set are all HObbyline (HL);
HL PRR FA1 Brunswick Green #2100.
HL HObbyline red caboose white lettering.
HL 4 bay hopper Western Maryland gray speed lettering.
HL Tank car Cities Service green.
HL Flat car PRR with wood load, gray.
HL Frisco box car. red.
HL 1955 catalog and 3 other paper items.

HL Box car Seaboard, silver. Loose no box.
HL Tank Car DuPont Chemical, blue, in spacing bow for a set
HL Flat car, MONON with wood load, red, in spacing bow for a set.

HL Flat car Monon with wood load, red, Loose no box.
HL Flat car L&N with wood load in original box.
HL Flat car Reading RR. In original box.
HL Gondola car, NKP dark green, in original box.
HL Box car, Atlantic Coast Line, red, in original box.
HL Box car, Atlantic Coast Line, red, in original box. This is a second one.
HL Box Car ERIE brown, in original box.

Rivarossi U-25C painted and lettered for the reading.
Mantua General U S Military Railroad. Missing some parts.
Gilbert C&O caboose 33515.
Gilbert C&O caboose 33616.
HO Train CO. New one 4-4-2. In original box.

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 10 2019 :  8:28:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Today 8-12-2019 I went over to PA and the outdoor flea market at Sailorsburg, and the indoor one at Wind Gap. They are over a hour and a quarter from my home but close together.
At the Saylorsburg market I found a die cars beer wagon with 2 horse, a driver , a colorful umbrella and a bunch of wood beer kegs. Over at the wind gap market A old lionel Tinplate 2=4=0 with tender missing a front truck. Another booth had some Ho cars ( wood pickle car, Train miniature centennial box car Williamsburg. Also a Mantua General complete tender for a Central of Georgia Rail Road Gray set locomotive. Their also was a box of scale coal for use in steam loco tenders.
frank

The beer wagon I'd say was G scale.

The lionel loco.

The Pickle car. VON ALLMEN PICKLE COMPANY, LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY.

The General tender. GEORGIA-CENTRAL R. R.

The Williamsburg 200 year Centennial car.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on September 11 2019 7:00:35 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 18 2019 :  6:18:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Got this on eBay auction for $14.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 18 2019 :  10:26:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Great finds, TopTrain and Chops!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 20 2019 :  10:01:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Old school is back in school!

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 20 2019 :  6:32:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Chops124 - August 18 2019 :  6:18:59 PM

Interesting car....Is this a custom paint job? Who made it? Where did it come from?

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 24 2019 :  3:22:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Returned from Day 1 of the Greenberg's Great Train & Toy Show in Oaks, PA, with some incredible finds.

Notable Finds:
- 2 Tyco Morton Salt covered hoppers
- Tyco DUAL-PAK No. 898 ($15)
- 2 AHM GG1's MIB, ($100 for both)
- The scarce Tyco blue "Paul Revere's Ride" box car

and much more!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 24 2019 :  4:35:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
the Operating Crossing Flasher I wants so I can add a 2nd crossing signal to my operating bell one!

Also I got some trains for $7
pix later
zzzzzz

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 24 2019 :  8:40:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I WANT THE G'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
drooooooooooooooooools.................
Least ways a video!!

Lovely Chessie, and fabulous grabs!

Edited by - Chops124 on August 24 2019 8:41:09 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 24 2019 :  9:52:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
found some for $7 today!

unknown who made the RI Alco unit since nothing on bottom except Yugoslavia
Possiblt IHC?

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 24 2019 :  10:32:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I think Yugoslavia probably means Mehano. I know that IHC locomotives were made by Mehano. There's a likely connection with AHM, as well. The history is complicated:
http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/110085.aspx

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 24 2019 :  10:55:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks all! LOL, Chops, I'll definitely produce a video...that is, if I can get my AHM GG1's to run on the EVRR's tight curves.....

Microbusss, nice finds! That Rock Island Alco was produced by Mehano, for the Tyco Rock Island Shark sets, towards the end of the line for Tyco Trains.

Courtesy of Tyco Brown Box Trains Resource

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 25 2019 :  9:14:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Microbusss, nice finds! That Rock Island Alco was produced by Mehano, for the Tyco Rock Island Shark sets, towards the end of the line for Tyco Trains.

Courtesy of Tyco Brown Box Trains Resource

Originally posted by RP model railroads - August 24 2019 :  10:55:03 PM

so what I got is the last loco made for Tyco?
NEAT

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 25 2019 :  9:44:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yep. Cool indeed!

My Day 2 haul from the Greenberg's Great Train & Toy Show -- Highlights include:

- Tyco Amtrak GG1 ($20)
- AHM Pennsy GG1 ($60 - so basically I got 3 of these GG1's, in different liveries, for $165 exactly. A pretty good price in my opinion)
- Mantua Great Northern F9A

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 26 2019 :  12:11:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
My G's, both Tyco and AHM do fine with the 18 inch curves.
Can't wait to see them pounding the high steel!

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 08 2019 :  6:01:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Today I went to the Hamburg PA train show. I'll post a photo and list of what I acquired.

Hamburg train show 9-8-19 stuff list

TYCO, Old Dutch cleanser4 bay covered hopper 5 of them.
International Model Products, New Jersey Central RR caboose all metal.
TRIX, Baggage car.
Fleischmann Western Pacific metal sided box car.
Lionel ,Union Pacific FA-1 body and frame.
Gilbert, Illinois Central RR Flit car with load #33558.
HObbyline FM H12-44 with original box.
HObbyline cars 9 of them.,
NKP box car, Seaboard box car missing doors. HObbyline gondola yellow 2 of them, Wabash Gondola, D.S.S.&A ( South Shore RR) Gondola, SOO Line flat car 2 of them, Union 76 tank car. all are boxed except the Seaboard box car.
Six Railway and Locomotive Historical Society Bulletins # 31-34, 35, 36, 37, and 38

Unique of these are the HObbyline FM H12-44 this in that it is one of the original locomotives with pulleys and a drive belt to transmit power from motor shaft to truck drive shaft.

Another is the International Model products boxed New Jersey Central 2 window caboose with cast metal ends and sides with a center coupla. All roofs are formed sheet metal. This is the second of three IMP cabooses I have gotten that were made for the US market. Here is a photo of a page from a IMP catalog showing the three different cabooses. the ATSF 5 window caboose on the left I don't have. The center Union Pacific 3 window I have had for 10 years now. The right 2 window NJC is the one I found today.
I found this and lots of other info on HO trains online at the hoseeker site.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on September 09 2019 07:44:33 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 08 2019 :  8:51:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
FIVE Dutch Maids?? (I think I got six)! Will make
a great conist behind that UP F unit. I don't
collect German model trains, but that Trix
looks like something out of the 1970's, and
is mega cool.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 09 2019 :  08:16:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Excellent finds, Frank!! Congrats.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 09 2019 :  09:56:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Interesting car....Is this a custom paint job? Who made it? Where did it come from?

Originally posted by Srenchin - August 20 2019 :  6:32:28 PM

It's a bit of a mystery to me, too, Srenchin. Here's where it's at: seems like an Athearn 50' BB in some respects, but the chassis is stamped "Tyco," but it has body mounted
coupler pockets, like an Athearn. The trucks appear to be spray painted red, but they
are standard talgo Tyco trucks with the same forked mounting pegs. The paint work appears to be silk screened in the manner of production pieces- no evidence of decals.

All in all, it makes no sense to me at all.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 10 2019 :  5:07:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

While in Raleigh over the weekend, got a hot tip from WKS to check out Nick's Trains.
Chock-block full to the ceiling with everything HO prior to 1990's, lots of NOS Tyco,
Plasticville, a smattering of Marx, back area devoted to Lionel, all of it vintage. Stuff
in boxes piled on boxes. A propensity of AHM, some HO Lionel, Varney kits, tons of
Athearn BB cars and a fair pile of BB locomotives. Couple dozen NOS Tyco structures
of a broad variety. Tons of built up HO structures in various states of disrepair.

Last of the breed, this place.

Picked up a few accessory pieces and parts. Very hard to find the correct length of AHM
passenger coach couplers, he had all that stuff by the bushel. Lot of NSW gears.

Picked up a copy of Classic Trains, "Trains at War" issue for the flight back to El Paso.
Very informative- a lot of photos I'd never seen, and answered a lot of historical questions
that bothered me for decades, such as: why isn't easy to blow up the enemy's railroad and
cripple that supply line? How did the Soviets survive and resupply in 1942 (they were badly on
the ropes)? Also, I had no idea that trains were off loaded by thousands upon the Normandy
Beach Head, on the sand, within weeks of the D Day Invasion.

Also of interest is that the Army took a strong interest in dieselization because it didn't
require watering facilities, and it didn't create a huge plume of smoke that made steam
locomotives target practice. One operational procedure, was to stick an RS1 in the middle
of the consist to move the train- the Luftwaffe pilots thus shot up the lead box car and
failed to stop the train.

Thanks WKS!

Edited by - Chops124 on September 10 2019 5:11:24 PM

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - September 10 2019 :  8:06:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Srenchin - August 20 2019 :  6:32:28 PM

It's a bit of a mystery to me, too, Srenchin. Here's where it's at: seems like an Athearn 50' BB in some respects, but the chassis is stamped "Tyco," but it has body mounted
coupler pockets, like an Athearn. The trucks appear to be spray painted red, but they
are standard talgo Tyco trucks with the same forked mounting pegs. The paint work appears to be silk screened in the manner of production pieces- no evidence of decals.

All in all, it makes no sense to me at all.

Originally posted by Chops124 - September 09 2019 :  09:56:48 AM

Could it possibly be a pre-production mock-up made by Tyco? A proposed billboard car that
never made it into production? Maybe you should contact HO Collector Magazine, they did
a recent article about Tyco "Pre-Prods". Please post more pictures of this car, I would like to
see the bottom, roof, and ends.

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on September 10 2019 8:10:39 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - September 10 2019 :  11:14:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Glad you went there Jeff. Never been there but the store reminds me of similar stores I visited in the northeast.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 12 2019 :  5:37:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
got this last Saturday at a garage sale
Even though its not a true train set I think it still qualifies as one

My Fist Vehicle by Mattel
Page: of 21 Previous Topic: Tour the Mantua factory in 1948 Topic Next Topic: crazy but cool video  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.97 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000