Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Bski1969 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Pine Hill Logging Co. GP20 and Caboose
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: G gauge cheapo Cabooses Topic Next Topic: Custom Painting Advice Wanted  

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - August 17 2013 :  2:50:47 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Presenting for your enjoyment: The Pine Hill Logging Company GP20 and matching streamline caboose.

One of my all-time favorite Tyco cars is the Pine Hill gondola. There is just something about those big bold letters and bright yellow body. I like the vaguely "Western" image of it. But unlike other themed sets like the Kansas-Durango-Colorado, and Rocky Mountain Line, there were no matching engine and caboose. Cox had a nice logging themed train set, the Big Pine Lumber Co., so I figured it was time to create some Tyco-based competition.

My criteria:

1) Colors should match the gondola.

2) EMD power, either the GP20 or SD24, well, just because I like both. (Western shortlines used a lot of Baldwins, but I just couldn't bring myself to bringing a Shark out west...)

3) Like other Tyco fantasy roads, it had to be based on a song.

My strange mind works in strange ways, and Monty Python's "The Lumberjack Song" was the first thing I could think of. From there it all went downhill very quickly.

I searched around for an image of a lumberjack. Of course the most famous is Paul Bunyan, and in my search I found a neat US postage stamp with Paul and his companion Babe the Blue Ox.

I used Photoshop to create the design and I printed it on waterslide decal paper. This is the first time I used printable decals and I'm quite impressed with how good they are. As you can see, I used brown for most of the lettering, again to match the brown on the gondola. I took a photo of the tree on the gondola and used that as a nose decal.

After stripping and painting the engine, I applied the decals. I still need to use some lighter fluid to make the decals snuggle down over the details (the manufacturer recommends against using solvaset).

I used Krylon "short cuts" spray paints. The yellow has a nice finish, but the green is a bit gloppy. But otherwise I'm happy with the results. I still need to find and install a handrail set.

Let me know what you think.

-Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2024 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 17 2013 :  4:26:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I want the caboose!
Just be moar crazy Why don't you do one in a BOXCAR?

Matbe I oughta have you do up my Soo Tyco boxcar with BnL on it hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14695  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 09 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - August 17 2013 :  5:40:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
"I sleep all night and I work all day!"

I love the bold graphics on the locomotive! Reminds me of the StarKist car, so it kind of fits in with the brown box era. And you gave it the "correct" road number too.
However, I don't think Tyco would have chosen that particular song!

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Edited by - gmoney on August 17 2013 5:48:01 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 17 2013 :  5:51:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I wear high heels & a bra Wish I'd been a gurlie just like my dear papar
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14695  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 09 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - August 17 2013 :  11:10:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Looks great! Very Tyco-esque!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3324  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 09 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - August 20 2013 :  11:53:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:
Looks great! Very Tyco-esque!

Originally posted by DaCheez - August 17 2013 :  11:10:26 PM

Thank you, I tried to be Tyco-esque and also forge a little bit of new ground with the smiling face.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - August 20 2013 :  11:57:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:
I want the caboose!
Just be moar crazy Why don't you do one in a BOXCAR?

Matbe I oughta have you do up my Soo Tyco boxcar with BnL on it hehe

Originally posted by microbusss - August 17 2013 :  4:26:42 PM

I really do want to do a boxcar -- I wish that Tyco had done an all-door car (like Bachmann's or Life Like's)... that would be perfect. But I will try to stay all-Tyco, perhaps as you suggest with a double-door hicube.

I think my next car in the series though will involve a flat with a log crane, similar to Cox's. And maybe a fire-tank car too. All Tyco based of course
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - August 21 2013 :  12:23:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Very Nice, Redwoods...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - August 21 2013 :  02:21:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
I think the obvious (and unimaginative) choice would have been to go solid yellow like the gondola, which would have been quite boring and monotonous. Very creative to grab the green in the tree and expand on it for both the loco and caboose! And then to add the bold graphic a la the mountains on the RML is in keeping with the over-the-top décor of brown box Tyco. Your design fits right in.

IMHO, if you do other car types, go easy on the green, otherwise the original gon won't fit in!

Nice job; I like it!

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

babuff
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - August 24 2013 :  10:24:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add babuff to Buddylist
awsome job. loved the engine. this is why we model, cause it's FUN!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 185  ~  Member Since: April 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 30 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - August 24 2013 :  1:15:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
I like it, great job
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 622  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 24 2013 :  10:53:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
He puts on women's clothing, and hangs around in bars...
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - August 24 2013 :  11:48:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
Awesome thread!

I think we're all okay...

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - August 25 2013 :  8:35:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
Great job Redwoods. Love your graphics.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 338  ~  Member Since: February 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 25 2013 :  10:04:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I think you need to UNpaint the numberboads & the headlights & add on railings too
You should also do a stakebed flatcar too

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 26 2013 :  04:47:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
At first I thought it was a TYCO one off!!!!!!!!!!!NICE WORK.....

I like the graph-hicks too

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 26 2013 :  04:48:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Hey Ben.. how the hell did you get "Resident Spammer" under your name?
~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - September 01 2013 :  10:29:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi ben,remember i said i had one for you,here it is,will get it to you asap ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 01 2013 :  11:01:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Ben.. how the hell did you get "Resident Spammer" under your name?

Originally posted by EM-1 - August 26 2013 :  04:48:35 AM

The old-fashioned way: he earned it.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - September 02 2013 :  03:45:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
LOL Nelson, I suppose he did then! I'd love to have the Big Boy removed and "Yellowstone" added but.....I'm not sure ho to have that one done!

Resident Spammer is pretty damned funny tho!

~John

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - September 06 2013 :  09:09:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi ben,it looks like its never BEeN out of the box,ken

Edited by - catfordken on September 06 2013 09:09:31 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - September 06 2013 :  9:01:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
Redwoods that is so TYCOesque I want one!!

(or at least do something similar)

just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 10 2013 :  01:48:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Logging company layout would be pretty cool. I can't imagine the number of trees you'd have to build or buy, but there could be loads of cool details to put together.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: G gauge cheapo Cabooses Topic Next Topic: Custom Painting Advice Wanted  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000