Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 22 ]  [ Total: 22 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 School from a Life-Like Belvedere Hotel?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Nalco Weed Sprayer fron Scratch? Topic Next Topic: ATSF to Great Northern Caboose Conversion  

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 04 2013 :  5:33:43 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Well guys, I been setting and doing some items for the up coming show for my local club and thought, you know, today is Sunday, I'm going to take a break!!! So, what better way to take a break? Catch up a little on what has been done, otherwise before hand, and just, relax, while doing it!

So, to start, you have seen the Belvedere Hotel, that I took and began to make it into a School. WELL this is what it looked like the last time I posted pictures:

Well in this picture, it had no "center" portion to the building to connect the 2 "towers" to each other....WELL, here is that all in place....

Then as seen it has "grown" a little too! EACH tower got an extra story, added to it. I wanted the overall building to be a bit bigger in height....This accomplished that. HOWEVER, I did not want to "even-out" the height of the towers, the un-even towers gives way to some character to the building.

All in the while, whats seen, the roof sections to each tower, and the center is merely "setting" in place, they are not fully mounted due to having to go back and add window glass to the windows as some of them, are going to be difficult, enough to reach, without having to add it from one end....The removable roof will aid me in adding the glass to about the center and then the opening from the bottom will aid in adding glass to the lower floors from the bottom!

However, this also has spawned another detail idea! I want to add roof top side mounted drains! With down pipes, on 2 sides! the longer run of the roof line, of both towers! The "inside" down pipes will spill onto the lower "center" roof, and have a hole drain directly under the upper down pipe. BUT, this detail, will be the last part of the building of this structure.....To fragile!

Then you have the rear of the school (this is where its going ot get interesting!)

This is an overall view....The fire escape, is scratchbuilt! And with reason, is NOT symmetrical....Which you'll all see in a moment. I used Central Valley handrailing and steps, all cut to fit. I have yet to add in angle braces under the "floor" of each, some short, some long, depending on the area of the fire escape that it will be going under. I also left out the up-side-down "U" at the roof line for the fire escape, these, like the roof top water drains will be the last details added to the model!

Now a little explaining. The fire escape, the base is some kind of "fencing" I found in my junk pile bin, and thought it looks almost like a the metal slats welded on a frame to make a walkway or catwalk, OR in this case, a fire escape. I'm not sure who made this fence, BUT, I wish I could find more of it for this very reason! I think its Atlas tho.....

The handrail around the outside edges, is custom fitted Central Valley stuff....I like how it works and how much is given in their packaging. As well as the ladder, its also out of the same Central Valley package!

Once this was all built, and hanging on the rear of the school building, it was then painted to match that of the "trim" color used on the rest of the building.

Here is a shot of the left tower's fire escape....Notice the lowest ladder to the ground....Its offset, and also has a double ladder looks, to simulate that part of it slides up and down!

Here is a shot of the right tower's fire escape. Again, same thing as the other side, but is different if you look back at the overall shot, the 2 fire escape's are not the same, or symmetrical by any means, its due to the plan I had while making the building to extend the center rear wall a bit.....This was to give more character, BUT also to add in a rear office, or as I like to call it, a "Principal's Door" as the playground will be right in this area as well!

As you can see, when I originally began to build this model, I made ALL the large doors on the rear most section of each tower. This was for the fire escape!!! As I did not plan to use any of them on the front side of the towers! As I wanted the "Main Entrance" to be in the center, and lower section, which is the office, and behind that, inside is the Principal's office!

Anyway, here is why the fire escape is not symmetrical for each tower....This is the right side:

This is where the center extension to the building shows itself, really well!

Then you have:

This side of that center extension, shows a small door, this is the place the Principal can come out into the playground, just to check on his he-vens!

Naturally all the other pictures seen of this, before now, still has not changed. I plan to leave the front as it was shown with the little roof and the entrance I mentioned in another posting on the building. The only addition, to that area is a school bell to the center front most section of that area.....Other then that, its unchanged!

EDIT: I NEED to drastically learn how to spell!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!

Edited by - EM-1 on August 04 2013 7:25:53 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator 

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - August 04 2013 :  5:38:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
That is so sweeeet!

I really like how you did the fire escapes and your making them different heights is spot on. Great work.

-Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 04 2013 :  7:19:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Thomas,
Thank you! The whole building as you see it here is actually 3 Life-Like Belvedere Hotels! Just to get the un-even towers....Which helped as well as the rear side door, to get the un-symmetrical fire escape....The whole set up gives this one a little character....

I'm not gonna do my ole fansy interior tho....WAY TO MUCH WORK, but it may have false interiors to look as it has a full interior!

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - August 04 2013 :  7:35:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
Now for some reason I keep hearing the welcome back kotter theme in my head!
just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 04 2013 :  10:43:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Ray,
A little bit of a randevĂș from about 2 months ago? Funny, how that works!

It was one of the first structures I began to build when I first got out of the hospital!

~John

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - August 07 2013 :  08:19:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
I love it, so realistic. Grabs the real charm of the older schools. Makes me think about the old high school we have here, and it is close to the tracks. Might have to give that building some more thought.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: December 03 2012  ~  Last Visit: June 24 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 07 2013 :  11:11:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Blane,
Yeah that old Life-Like Belvedere Hotel has A LOT of potential to say the least...I actually used 3 of that kit to make the one you see here.....Needless to say I was looking for "older" and that I think, I got with how I put it all together....

Needless to say, I got a ways to go yet but its coming!

~John

Previous Topic: Nalco Weed Sprayer fron Scratch? Topic Next Topic: ATSF to Great Northern Caboose Conversion  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000