Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 19 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 ATSF to Great Northern Caboose Conversion
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: School from a Life-Like Belvedere Hotel? Topic Next Topic: New Minnesota Boxcar !  

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - August 04 2013 :  7:55:01 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
I had this old Santa Fe Athearn cupola caboose- another swap meet special- that had been looking like a plain jane for several years. I thought that it bore enough of a resemblance to the Great Northern transition era caboose style that a conversion was warranted.
The original:

I repainted it following GN custom and was able to get a sheet of Microscale decals for the GN caboose series last weekend, long after the basic work was done on the model. Wheels are intermountain metal 33", I left the EZmate couplers on for the time being, as I am low on Kadees and must wait to restock. The interior was primered gray and left as such, but I didnt detail the interior. I glazed the windows and did my first mount of corner grabs on the cupola roof.

I realize the ladders are not rectangular at the top of the rails, as they are on GN cabooses, and there are probably a few other "bolt-counter" objections to be found, such as the lack of proper platform railing details, but the gist of a GN caboose is there- that was my initial goal.

Siouxlake Ron
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator 

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 04 2013 :  10:40:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Ron,
Custom painted? Looks great! The only thing I'd change is the truck side frames, they're freight trucks and are a bit "heavy" for a caboose to ride on them.....Other then that it looks AWESOME!

I have to say the shelf couplers look awesome and a VERY good use for them at that!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - August 07 2013 :  08:15:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
Another great looking piece of stock.
Blane is the name,
Trains are the game.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: December 03 2012  ~  Last Visit: June 24 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: School from a Life-Like Belvedere Hotel? Topic Next Topic: New Minnesota Boxcar !  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000