Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 30 ]  [ Total: 30 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 IHC Steamers
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Blast from the past. Vintage LOTW members photos. Topic Next Topic: day three of pgw open day  

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - May 26 2013 :  01:00:17 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Anybody here a big fan of IHC steamers? I see them alot and wonder if they're worth the money. Not picky as to proto type, just has to run good and pull a decent load.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - May 26 2013 :  02:04:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
They're excellent runners, and look decent enough. Very reliable, too.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - May 26 2013 :  09:01:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist
I find them to be very reliable and they are quite readily available for very good prices.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 239  ~  Member Since: September 17 2012  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - May 26 2013 :  6:34:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
No complaints here,,,reliable, easy to DCC and remotor...

Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - May 27 2013 :  04:49:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
IHC engines were made by Mehano in Slovenia, both of which are currently out of business.

Most of them use older tooling - the light Pacific/Mikado dates to the late '60s, for instance - with upgraded drives. Some of them were always Mehano and some started elsewhere; the 2-8-0 was the cheaper of the two Tyco castings most commonly seen as the tender drive Chatanooga 0-8-0.

To get more variety out of them they mixed things around, resulting in a few cheesy and odd-looking engines, but the basic locomotives aren't bad. That 4-4-0 above started out as a Pemco tender-drive SP prototype 2-6-0. They did the 4-4-0 chassis for it, then did a camelback boiler casting that fit the same drives.

The Hudson uses in that case the tender from what was once a Pemco C&O 4-8-2, but I'd have to examine one to figure out what they did for the boiler. The drive was new to it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - May 27 2013 :  06:37:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Even the Pemco Mountain got a pancake tender drive, which is why the bottom of the coal bunker on the Vandy tender is horizontal instead of angling up in the back.

The Mehano Light Pacific first appeared in AHM's line in 1977; I remember all the press when they came out. The Mikado first appeared with a smoke unit in 1981 according to Tony Cook's site, which sounds right. Unfortunately his picture of the GN Mike is a Rivarossi.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - May 27 2013 :  11:47:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
Yes, but the light Pacific was in Life-Like's line before that.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 28 2013 :  10:44:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
IHC engines were made by Mehano in Slovenia, both of which are currently out of business.
Originally posted by lvrr325 - May 27 2013 :  04:49:04 AM

um Mehano is still in buisness & IHC is a different company in Texas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14691  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - May 28 2013 :  11:24:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Mehano,
Was originally a Yugoslavian company. Full name was MEHANOTEHNIKA. Their early engines were labeled Made in Yugoslavia . Same communist country as the Yugo car was built in. When the county broke up it ended up in Slovenia. AHM, Life Like, Model Power, Tyco, Lionel, IHC, and Mehano all sold models from this company. They were good runners, for the most part. You can still buy a few new units from Train World.

http://www.trainworldonline.com/catalog/mehano/

Regards,
John
It was not terrorist, It was well armed movie critics <> Susan Rice

Edited by - JRG1951 on May 28 2013 11:25:24 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - May 28 2013 :  8:07:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
Owner of IHC died and while I see some references to an IHC in Texas it does not appear to be directly related. The big clue was when leftover stock appeared in Ollie's Outlet stores about three years ago at blowout prices - they were selling retail for about what dealer cost would have been just a few years prior.

Mehano went bankrupt while in the process of moving from Slovenia to China and I've never heard any update of what became of them or of the tooling. None of these engines have been marketed in at least five years.

Bottom line, none of these engines can be bought new now except from dealers who ordered in large quantity and still have old stock left. It's few and far between at big shows, where it used to be all over the place.

Edited by - lvrr325 on May 28 2013 8:09:17 PM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - May 29 2013 :  2:42:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
IHC steamers to me, were GREAT! They're a GREAT base model to make something other then what they were listed as, with a good price, to not worry about a big cost, a GREAT detailing base, good running, not bad pulling power for metal to metal wheels (NO traction bands) Easy to DCC and remotor......

I've got MANY of them.......

THEN to add to it, you have IHC's models from Slovania, by MeHano, HOWEVER, you could have gotten the same 4-6-2 at the time BEFORE IHC from Life-Like, AND Model Power! I've got models of all 3! Altho, the Model Power version, has a slightly different motor in it from Model Power factory, then I have seen otherwise.

Bernie Paul had passed away headed to a Bank for the day, and sadly that's when IHC was over with, (I WISH that some other company would have taken them over, or a sibling or family member would have jumped in where Bernie left off.......As they were GREAT models for the type work and things I do at a decent rate in cost!

Mike, is right, I bought ALL my IHC passenger cars for $4.00 EACH at Ollie's in LaVale, Maryland on a vacation I took some months after Bernie Paul died...NICE cars for an even nicer price, (Yeah, I'll take 50 cares) and I did just that when I seen them, Now, I got 4 cars left for my own collection I sold the rest, for $8.00 each! BUT......Still, I can't complain, and the people those got sold to still got a deal even tho, I doubled the price! I figured it this way, $8.00 was the most I'd take, for each car, you can always lower the price if they don't sell, but you CAN NOT raise the cost.......I thought, if they don't sell at $8, then I'll lower them to $6....But not less then $4......I didn't have to lower the price, the lot was gone in 48 hours from my hands to local guys! I now wished I would have been ale to buy more at what I paid as I took the whole shelf that they had!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 27 2021 :  5:02:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

No complaints here, reliable, easy to DCC and remotor...

Originally posted by shaygetz on May 26 2013.

Gorgeous engine.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5911  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Blast from the past. Vintage LOTW members photos. Topic Next Topic: day three of pgw open day  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000