Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 The Slippery Slope!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: boy would i love this Topic Next Topic: Crazy Tyco Piggyback String Of Cars
Page: of 8

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 06 2022 :  2:23:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Interesting point, but did IHC do Billboards?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 06 2022 :  3:50:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Interesting point, but did IHC do Billboards?

Originally posted by Chops124 - March 06 2022 :  2:23:28 PM

YES I have a couple
1 is Woolworth's
I have a ex-Tyco caboose in Fuji Film
I just saw some Kool-Aid hoppers when I searched for IHC HO Billboard *drooool*
course I need the one by Life-Like too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - March 06 2022 :  11:09:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Check your TOPPS car carefully Chops. I see decal film. With another look, do you see it too?

I agree with G-Money that IHC acquired Tyco tooling. The 62 foot modern boxcar is one style for sure. That O-N hopper is really cool. That road name was not too common other than on Athearn and MDC and the lone L-L GP-38/40. Excellent catch there!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 07 2022 :  02:06:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Still not sure who did this one, then. The shell could be grafted onto another chassis.
The red trucks seem characteristic of the AHM Illinois Central Terminal, maybe?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 07 2022 :  12:20:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Is it riding on an Athearn chassis, Chops? Whatever its provenance, its a sweet plugger!

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 07 2022 :  12:31:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
At the Asheville train show, I also picked up another set of the two variations of Tyco's last Santa Fe plug door scheme:

I gotta get a handle on this obsession with variations...

Glenn

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 07 2022 :  12:59:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Another Asheville acquisition, this one carries the very common white & yellow ATSF scheme, but it appeared that it might be printed on the salmon-colored body shell of the original issue car that had the all-white lettering:

When I got home I compared it to an original issue car:

It is similar in color, but not quite the same. I do not have the more common version of the car handy, so I can't make a comparison to it, but I'm pretty sure it's a darker red. I don't know if I have anything unusual here or not...

Glenn

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 07 2022 :  9:27:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Interesting variants!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - March 08 2022 :  01:23:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:
I have my doubts that Athearn made anything with filled in corner steps. The tooling looks like Tyco (mounting
bosses for the electronic chug hardware inside the shell would confirm that), but I agree Tyco didn’t make it.
I believe IHC acquired the tooling?

Originally posted by gmoney - March 06 2022 :  12:35:00 PM

I have to agree with Glen here. I've built enough Athearn kits over the years. They had a distinct way of doing things that make their cars easily identifiable. Glen touched upon the filled in stirrups. That was a Tyco thing, as was the molded in roofwalk. On an Athearn, the roofwalk would be a separate piece simulating the later metal grate roofwalks. Flipping the car over to look at the underside, an Athearn car would have screw mounted trucks, a steel weight sandwiched between the underframe and the car floor, and most distinctive of all, body mounter couplers held in place by a metal clip. It would appear this car has none of these.

Edited by - jward on March 08 2022 02:53:04 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 08 2022 :  01:29:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I will take some more photos of it; great to have some
fresh eyes on the case. This was my slip and slide on
the slippery slope. Went nearly mad trying to find
a Bubble Yum car.

Your nifty Tycos are quite shocking, G. Here is a shocking video I did a little while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qkA1aT8ERI

Edited by - Chops124 on March 08 2022 01:30:57 AM

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - March 08 2022 :  02:57:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
That looks like some pretty nasty stuff right next to the caboose. Does the crew wear hazmat suits when they haul that stuff?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - March 08 2022 :  1:12:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Great video- love the action and variety in the collection. I was surprised that your background music was able to cover the gear clicking that those Bachmanns usually feature!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 09 2022 :  12:07:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
The caboose next to the Fogite car appears to be glowing!

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 09 2022 :  12:17:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Back to the Bazooka car - the graphics do appear to be decals, as El Rojo Grande said, in which case it probably is a Tyco, and may or may not have the mounting bosses for the electronics. How’s about a picture of the underframe?

Glenn

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 09 2022 :  6:09:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I went to look for it, and could not find it for love or money. Maybe I left it at Jimmy's, will check
later this week.

In the mean time, here is one close up I took when last seen:

That looks like silk screen or litho, to me. I don't see any decal edges. I cannot recall if the chassis was metal or painted silver.

Here is one that I think comes pretty close. I wonder if they are related:

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 18 2022 :  11:25:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
So I headed down the quad hopper rabbit hole last weekend at a train show in Mebane, NC…

Let’s start with a couple of Lionels:

Glenn

Edited by - gmoney on March 18 2022 11:31:37 PM

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 18 2022 :  11:42:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Next up, a Lionel B&M and AHM Lehigh Valley that look to have been produced from the exact same tooling:

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 18 2022 :  11:54:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Model Power ICG:

Slip . . . . .

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 19 2022 :  12:03:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Here are a couple from Bachmann:

I like these because they are “train set quality†cars that are also a realistically dull brown, with different car numbers.

Slip . . . . .

Glenn

Edited by - gmoney on March 19 2022 12:07:00 AM

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 19 2022 :  12:13:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
And here’s a shocker . . . another Virginian operating hopper:

Ssssssllllliiiiiippp . . . . .

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 19 2022 :  12:23:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Here’s another one in the promo series:

. . . And the box it came in:

Sliding . . . . .

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 19 2022 :  12:33:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
. . . and here is the third (maybe fourth?) yaller Tyco Burlington Northern plug door boxcar to be added to my collection:

This one has a faded roof, though it’s not obvious in the picture.

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 19 2022 :  12:45:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
I added a second Tyco electronic chug chug boxcar to my collection:

I paid five bucks for it. I don’t think the seller knew what he had.

And even though the speaker had been hacked up:

It still works!

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 19 2022 :  12:57:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
I also added another AHM (Roco) Flexi-Flow hopper:

It’s missing the brake wheel stand.

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 19 2022 :  01:27:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
It’s been quite a while since I stumbled across a Tyco CenterFlow hopper I didn’t have yet; here is the easier-to-find version of the Kellogg’s, the one without the red letters:

I actually already have the harder-to-find red-letter version.

I always look over potential purchases for damage before I buy, but I didn’t see the broken end railing on this one until I got home.

Glenn

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 19 2022 :  10:45:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
It’s been quite a while since I stumbled across a Tyco CenterFlow hopper I didn’t have yet; here is the easier-to-find version of the Kellogg’s, the one without the red letters:

I actually already have the harder-to-find red-letter version.

I always look over potential purchases for damage before I buy, but I didn’t see the broken end railing on this one until I got home.

Originally posted by gmoney - March 19 2022 :  01:27:59 AM

well aside the 2 Kellogg's Frosted Flakes boxcars
AHM made this too!

now I has them ALL hehe
minus Lipton Tea & Niagara Starch Spray hoppers
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 19 2022 :  9:26:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Some time ago I acquired a dark green Tyco 50ft flat lettered for Great Northern, because for the first time I found one not lettered AT&SF! It came with the cribbing for the cable reels, but not the cable reels. I think I posted it in COTW or somewhere. Well, recently I found cable reels for it, which meant I also needed the Western Union version, so . . .

Apparently I need a third cribbing for the GN.

. . . . . still sliding . . . . .

Glenn

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - March 20 2022 :  9:33:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
.... and sliding ....

Once you've started down that slippery slope, there is no going back!!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 04 2022 :  4:15:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
...and to go with the Tyco Quaker boxcar posted somewhere earlier in this thread is the “Tyco†Quaker Chemicals tanker:

The underframe on this one does not have the Tyco markings, so I suspect that this car was restored by using the underframe from a car produced by a subsequent owner of the Tyco tooling.  It is also missing the dome platform.  I intend to return it to an all-Tyco state.

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 06 2022 :  12:50:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
The quad hopper journey continues . . .

It appears Bachmann cheaped out on this one; it looks to be molded in red plastic with graphics printed directly on the unpainted plastic.

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 06 2022 :  01:02:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Here is Varney/Life-Like Pennsylvania flat #5:

This one is the version with the metal underframe.

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 06 2022 :  01:10:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
I have had relative difficulty finding Tyco operating hoppers lettered for Reading; I probably have 50+ of these things and this is only the third Reading I’ve found:

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 06 2022 :  01:22:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
This one is quite rare in my experience.  I have seen only one other one in person (and I acquired that one); now I have two!

The Tyco Ralston Purina reefer in red, instead of the ubiquitous blue.

Glenn

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - April 06 2022 :  09:57:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
quote:
I have had relative difficulty finding Tyco operating hoppers lettered for Reading; I probably have 50+ of these things and this is only the third Reading I’ve found:

Originally posted by gmoney - April 06 2022 :  01:10:59 AM

Good find, gmoney. I've only seen the black version, never the dark green.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 06 2022 :  12:38:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
It's black.

Don't trust the picture; it's had some processing to bring out the truck detail.  I haven't figured out how to get good front lighting yet.

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 06 2022 :  12:57:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Here's the latest promotional find - a Tyco Johnson Wax boxcar:

It has “Shout†graphics on the other side.

(Yes, I know I already posted this in the "HO Promotional Cars" thread! )

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 06 2022 :  1:04:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
One more for the quad collection!

I don't know who made this one.  It resembles Tyco, but to my knowledge, Tyco never did this scheme.  Maybe it was one of the outsourced cars Tyco sold there at the end.

Glenn

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 06 2022 :  3:53:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
This one is quite rare in my experience.  I have seen only one other one in person (and I acquired that one); now I have two!

The Tyco Ralston Purina reefer in red, instead of the ubiquitous blue.

Originally posted by gmoney - April 06 2022 :  01:22:16 AM

"Hey, Harry- we're out of Ubiquitous Blue!"
"Ah, heck, it's quittin' time, just run the thing! Not like some stupid kid's gonna notice, anyhow..."

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 07 2022 :  01:23:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
. . . and now a few more CenterFlows - an AHM and two Bachmanns:

AHM:

Bachmann:

Bachmann Silver Series:

I still haven’t completed the Tyco CenterFlow collection and I’ve gone off on a tangent!

Glenn

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 07 2022 :  11:13:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
G, you may have a problem. Call 1-800-Center Flows Anonymous. We may find you prowling
dumpsters and thrift shops, pretty soon.

Got to say, though, the ATSF "Conditionare" is pretty slick...

Edited by - Chops124 on April 07 2022 11:14:51 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 08 2022 :  1:42:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

AHM:

Originally posted by gmoney - April 07 2022 :  01:23:46 AM

NEED this one & the Niagara Starch Spary too

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 09 2022 :  4:40:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
I attended a train show in Fort Mill, South Carolina today.  I found a few items on the slope!  First up I found the last Tyco 40ft high cube that I was missing – Illinois Central Gulf:

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 09 2022 :  4:51:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Next up:

I had no idea AHM made a cable reel car, but since they did, and it looks an awful lot like Tyco’s, one came home with me!  Here ‘tis:

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 09 2022 :  5:24:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
I picked up a couple of Tyco operating hoppers today; a topless Holly sugar that somebody weathered , but the prize is the Pennsylvania.  I’ve been collecting these things for 10 years or more, and I found one Pennsylvania when I first started, and I hadn’t seen one since . . . until today!  This one had to come home with me:

Glenn

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - April 09 2022 :  5:53:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
gmoney,

Nice haul. It looks like the High Cube car is still minty fresh in the box.

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 09 2022 :  7:17:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Yes, the high cube is quite nice!

I got some more Varney/Life-Like flats - I believe I already have two of these, but here is a third SLSF:

Also three(!) more NYC:

I already have a gajillion NYC’s.

But here is the first L&N:

Glenn

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 09 2022 :  10:28:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
I attended a train show in Fort Mill, South Carolina today.  I found a few items on the slope!  First up I found the last Tyco 40ft high cube that I was missing – Illinois Central Gulf:

Originally posted by gmoney - April 09 2022 :  4:40:21 PM

missing this cause I sold it with the ICG loco & caboose

Oh I has a NICE Holly Sugar

EDIT: cause I forgot to add the pic

Edited by - microbusss on April 09 2022 10:31:03 PM

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 10 2022 :  12:26:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Yes you do has a NICE Holly Sugar

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 10 2022 :  12:44:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
I found another Tyco trolley:

MU-2 powered, but it doesn’t run.

I need to find the first two I bought (on impulse from a thrift store) because I don’t remember what livery they are wearing, and I might be duplicating!

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 10 2022 :  01:06:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Oh my!  Can you believe it?  Another quad hopper!   This one is my first Pemco:

Well . . . maybe.  Remember the silver Rio Grande quad I posted a few days ago?  I speculated then that it was really late Tyco, but turns out it’s identical to this one, except for the trucks.  So maybe it’s a Pemco too, IDK.

Glenn

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: boy would i love this Topic Next Topic: Crazy Tyco Piggyback String Of Cars  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000