Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 22 ]  [ Total: 22 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 HO Scale Slot Cars
 The Slot
 About Slotcar Magnets...
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Some new slot cars - Ecto-1 and Looney Tunes Topic Next Topic: Aurora Batmobile & 4 Million Dollars!  

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 15 2013 :  11:51:38 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I have an old AFX car (probably 70's vintage) that doesn't cling to the track at all. Is it common for the old magnets to wear out?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3320  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator 

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - February 16 2013 :  12:03:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
Yep those magnets can and do wear out. But, depending on which type of car you are talking about, it may not have originally stuck to the track anyway. The magna traction series didn't really stick to the track, but the magnets did help the car from drifting or sliding through the curves more then the older cars did. The first car that AFX car that actually stuck to the track was the G Plus. You could set those on a piece of track and flip the track upside down and the car would stick to the track. The pictures below are from 1971,1975,1978,and 1982 respectfully.
Blane

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: December 03 2012  ~  Last Visit: June 24 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 16 2013 :  12:18:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Thanks for the response and pictures! My car is the second one, the 1975 magnatraction. The problem I'm having is that the rear tires are made of foam and they just seem to bounce up and down on the track. Would the loss of magnetism cause that? I have a Tyco which seems to stick a little better and can at least get itself around the track
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3320  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - February 16 2013 :  06:15:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
DaCheez, join slotcarillustrated.com. Great place. I'm a member of their forum.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - February 16 2013 :  08:22:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
Yep there are tons of tips over there to help you tweak your motor.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: December 03 2012  ~  Last Visit: June 24 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 16 2013 :  6:42:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Thanks for the tip! I'll have a look, maybe even join
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3320  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 16 2013 :  8:17:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Foam tires came in different diameters, so if you have some overly large tires, it may cause the bouncing. There were rubber, hard foam, and soft foam tires, depending on make and racecourse style. If you have softer foam tires, they may bounce more. Many factors at play here. The early AFX Magnatraction chassis has both magnets spanning both pick-up rails, so I'd imagine the attraction is quite a bit weaker than having the magnets on either side of the car, with separate magnet fields on each pick-up rail. Just a guess here. But the early magnets weren't as strong as the later ones, either. I'm sure that has something to do with it as well.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 16 2013 :  8:52:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I'm not really sure what I did, but I took the car apart a few times, gave it some oil, and it seems to be running much better. As dumb as I feel saying this, I think a large part of the problem may have just been dirty track...and a slightly bent guide pin probably doesn't help either

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - February 16 2013 :  9:49:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
In my experience ceramic magnets last forever, unless they're cracked or have been cooked by something much hotter than the chassis could handle. If the slicks are larger diameter, that will put more of an air gap between the magnets and the steel rails, reducing the pull. Uneven, or old hardened slicks will also make it lose traction.

My friends & I ultimately favored the old Thunder Jet Auroras over the AFX and G-Plus, because they took more skill to drive.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Some new slot cars - Ecto-1 and Looney Tunes Topic Next Topic: Aurora Batmobile & 4 Million Dollars!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000