Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Chutem ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 My Dash 8-40CW...
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Motor Shim Topic Next Topic: Second Custom Plymouth MDT Completed  

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - January 26 2013 :  9:31:29 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
...came with no fuel tank casting. These have a unique inset on one side with air tanks for the brakes in them. Since Bachmann wants $5 s/h for a $4 part, I set about bashing my own from a couple Athearn air tanks and sheet styrene...

Edited by - shaygetz on January 26 2013 9:32:12 PM
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - January 26 2013 :  9:42:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Looks good! Ya ever gonna power up that dummy or keep it that way?
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - January 26 2013 :  9:52:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
quote:
Looks good! Ya ever gonna power up that dummy or keep it that way?

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - January 26 2013 :  9:42:43 PM

I bought it as a locomotive that did not run...you can imagine my surprise when I found that it was gutted right to the gear towers. Repowering it is not an option as the original parts are too expensive and the frame does not easily adapt to other motors. But, because it is a hefty beast that tracks well--AND--the lights are directional and they work, and it is a good looking lokey, I've decided to keep it. Maybe I'll get lucky at a swap meet for a parts loco...
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 26 2013 :  9:56:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Has you asked EM-1 yet for the parts?
I like it btw too
*UP fan*
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - January 26 2013 :  11:24:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
That's pretty neat, bending the little brass lines. Looks great painted up.

By the way, thats a Dash 8-40C or C40-8 depending on time of day.
Yeh, yeh, I know, one of those rivet counters.
Just that the 8-40C is one of my favorite locos.

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - January 27 2013 :  12:21:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
quote:
That's pretty neat, bending the little brass lines. Looks great painted up.

By the way, thats a Dash 8-40C or C40-8 depending on time of day.
Yeh, yeh, I know, one of those rivet counters.
Just that the 8-40C is one of my favorite locos.

Originally posted by NC shortlines - January 26 2013 :  11:24:07 PM

I don't mind ribbit counters, Bachmann advertizes this as an 8-40CW...I shall alert them that you're on the way to fix their wagon for leading me astray...
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - January 27 2013 :  9:13:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Bachmann made both the Dash 8-40C and CW.

That scratchbuilt tank looks really good Shaygetz.

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Edited by - gmoney on January 27 2013 9:16:15 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - January 28 2013 :  01:57:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Shay,
That tank looks AWESOME! Nice work with the sheet styrene! Paint looks GREAT too!

Ben, yes Shay and I talked over a powered frame (I have 2 frames for those Bachmann units), one gutted just like Shay's, and the other is complete fully working, no shell.... got them in a box lot at a show awhile back!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - January 28 2013 :  12:43:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Exemplary work as always Mr. Bob! I'm impressed with the paint match too. Always fun to see how simply some things can be made. And to think a curved EMD tank would be even easier...!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Motor Shim Topic Next Topic: Second Custom Plymouth MDT Completed  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000