Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Chutem ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Box Car Yard Shed
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Second Custom Plymouth MDT Completed Topic Next Topic: DC sound  

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - January 04 2013 :  3:56:24 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
I had this 50 ft Canadian National box car that had no trucks and wheels, which I had picked up at a long ago flea market. Rather than spend $ to get it rolling, I decided to convert it into a freight yard shed, as the lettering/decaling had deteriorated and it already looked forlorn.

I had a 3-window piece in my scrap box and cut a rectangle out of wall. I then glued the (now) back door shut and also glued a plain styrene panel across the interior space in front of it. I then sprayed the interior primer gray.

The underframe was discarded into my parts box, and I then weathered the interior floor with Model Master wood and Polly S depot brown. After that, I glued some objects to the floor.
I made an adhesive label photo image of some tools and placed that on the rear wall opposite the windows- to suggest tool storage. I then wired a single overhead 3mm flat LED with a 470 ohm resistor and placed it in the center ceiling. The inside wires were run thru a square styrene channel and out thru the bottom of the floor on the rear side of the car and down thru the pad base.

I used balsa wood for the pad (painted primer gray) and wood blocks which support the car, and also for the steps. The underframe blocks are black to suggest creosoted ties and the steps are a bit lighter black, to suggest the same but with traffic (dustier). The name plaque came from my scrap box and I just printed off an adhesive file label with the words. I painted the window frame in my MSL&W orange (GN Orange), as it's original white plastic color was a bit too "clean looking".

This will eventually sit somewhere in my freight/engine yard.

Cedarwoodron
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 04 2013 :  4:07:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
real cool & I think Heljan made one of these & a caboose office too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

caboose 1
Big Six

L&N Hummingbird

Posted - January 04 2013 :  4:11:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add caboose 1 to Buddylist
nice job
caboose 1
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 352  ~  Member Since: November 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: January 21 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - January 04 2013 :  6:07:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Nice work. I especially like the faded lettering and faded logo.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tyco Nut
Big Six

Posted - January 04 2013 :  6:47:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tyco Nut to Buddylist
Looks better than if someone came out with this new. Really like the design!
Starting my Tyco and other favorites collection over again after 37 years.
My still in progress list of inventory and wantlist: tyconut.com
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 396  ~  Member Since: November 02 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - January 04 2013 :  6:58:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Very clever and creative, Ron.

Just don't forget to turn the light off when you leave.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - January 22 2013 :  1:38:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
Neat kitbash, seen lots of 1:1 scale boxcars and streamline passenger cars turned into yard offices/tool sheds.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Second Custom Plymouth MDT Completed Topic Next Topic: DC sound  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000