Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 8 ]  [ Total: 8 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 AHM/Rivarossi Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 Rivarossi 4-4-0 "William Mason"?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Rivarossi Baldwin 2-8-0 of 1918. The USRA. Topic Next Topic: HORNS FOR PAIR OF 1776 C LINERS
Page: of 2

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 20 2012 :  10:13:57 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Guys,
Another pretty nice B&O model.....The Rivarossi 4-4-0, "William Mason":

I done alittle work to it, not alot tho as it looked really good almost as it was, I just could NOT stand the molded in color driver spokes and I painted them to match, polished all the real brass on it, and added a more yellowish light in the headlight, with directional lighting. It also had the original motor replaced with a decent size can motor and a more thin drive shaft that I made from brass wire (.060 thick) and then blackened.

I also added brass domes, painted as per prototype.....As you see it here, its all factory, I changed this and now it looks much better and I'll get pictures to show of whats been done to it!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!

Edited by - EM-1 on August 20 2012 10:16:40 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator 

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 20 2012 :  10:27:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
This nice little gem, will be pulling this:

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!

Edited by - EM-1 on August 20 2012 10:28:28 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 20 2012 :  10:29:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Atho, there are more cars to go to this set, I just haven't finished them yet!
~John

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 21 2012 :  12:44:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I've never seen it offered in this scheme. Is it AHM vintage, or one of the IHC issues? If the cylinders and domes are brass, that dates it to early 70's or before.

That will make a great looking consist.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 21 2012 :  06:49:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nelson,
Yeah its a rare one for sure, its actually Rivarossi! Not IHC, I actually think its an AHM vintage from the days that Rivarossi made the loco's for them, as it has both names in the parts at different places!

It has brass domes, and cylinders, it also "had" the original Rivarossi "Coffee Grinder" motor in the tender.

And the nice thing is, its all factory painted! The only things I painted on this model was the driver faces, and the pilot wheel faces and I touched up the paint that was on the brass domes.

Other then that, it remains a factory paint job, and thank God for that one as decals for this one are impossible to find!

Speaking of consists, I also have this:

To also pull that old time passenger train! This was my first 4-4-0, It needless to say is a Brown Box TYCO!

~John

Edited by - EM-1 on September 29 2012 01:36:55 AM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 21 2012 :  5:33:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
That William Mason is definitely a custom job. It was never offered in B&O, and they definitely never painted the domes & cylinders. They were only offered in V&T, WA, and KC&St.L.

Whoever did it did a wonderful job. That was a lucky find, John.

The Reno I bought recently has the original open frame motor too, and they were noisy. The later round motors were much better.

It's funny that during the IHC era Rivarossi was still producing their own 4-4-0's with new RP25 wheels, but using the same Mabuchi can in the tender that Mehano used. It seems that RR and Mehano still had a close relationship and shared molds and parts (the E8 is another example) long after RR's relationship with Bernie Paul soured. He brought a baseless lawsuit against them and Con-Cor and burned that bridge.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 21 2012 :  8:21:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nelson,
Good call! I had to go look at that loco again and its NOT decaled at all! Its screen printed, that 1968 sheet you posted isn't the same year! This locomotive had a silver (unpainted, unblackened) motor, I wonder if this wasn't something done from the company of AHM just at the time it was going to become IHC, with rivarossi locomotive for the time that this locomotive was headed to the movie set? I say this as its about the same era when it was to be in the movie that Disney World put on (For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the movie but was like 25 or 30 years ago!)

I can tell you, it surprised me that its actually screen print lettered. As when you mentioned that, I had to look to see if it was decaled or not! (You can tell the difference from decals to screen printing in the finish under light at the right angle.)

I don't have the box to it but, I wonder on it now!

~John

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 21 2012 :  8:44:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
neat loco I'd like one in V&T
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 21 2012 :  8:49:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
I used to have one in V&T but sold it some time ago Ben!

I'll keep my eyes open tho as stuff like that always seems to come my way!

~John

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 21 2012 :  10:31:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
John, looking through the sheets they later added ATSF, but that's it. It looks like you may have a very rare one-off. To quote Ben, me wants!
The Tyco Depot

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 22 2012 :  06:58:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
You know.......Something just dawned on me! This locomotive as you see it in the pictures, I could NOT stand the fact that the drivers, did not match the rest of the paint, the maroon color, SO I took some I think it was Tuscon red paint I had from Floquil and its a DEAD match on color......I don't think I could get that lucky again!

Anyway, it looks MUCH better that way and I'll have to get pictures of this! I also touched up the paint on the brass domes as well......EVEN tho, they were NOT brass colored in real life, I still think the tops of the domes would have looked AWESOME polished brass to go with the rest of the brass trim!

Another thing that got me was the brass trimmed boiler straps, and the ornate thing between the drivers.......These sections/parts are plated plastic to look like brass!

What have I gotten my hands on this time!?

~John

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 22 2012 :  2:11:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
John, I noticed that too: they never painted the boiler straps on these. The Early J. Bowkers had separately applied boiler straps plated in gold chrome, but not the 4-4-0's. There are firms that will do custom work like this, in fact one of the IHC guys I know has sent out a bunch of the old AHM C-424's for custom painting in LV burgundy with yellow lettering, and they look much better than Roco's paint jobs. It's possible that someone paid to have it professionally done.

That's a Genoa, as it turns out. The Reno had a round headlamp and straight stack; the Genoa has the spark arrestor and square headlamp. You said you added a yellower light to it... does this mean there was a bulb in there already? Only early versions of the Reno were illuminated, but the Genoa and Inyo with the square headlamps weren't, so if it was illuminated it's custom.

The Tyco Depot

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 22 2012 :  6:42:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nelson,
I'm not sure but I can tell ya the boiler straps are gold plated! This I found a nice touch....

As for the headlight, yes it was lighted, HOWEVER, that wasn't factory....Someone had added a bright white Minitronics tiny 12 volt bulb in there....I took it out and will use it on adiesel, as its small enough to replace atleast one lens in a diesel! This is when I added the more yellowish bulb to look like fire as these were oil lamps!

I just found something! Have a look at this:

http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/ahmhoscalelocomotives/id56.html

Interesting? I wished there was a description!

~John

Edited by - EM-1 on August 22 2012 6:44:54 PM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 22 2012 :  9:56:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
John, interesting that they show it with painted straps, & striped domes and cylinders. I've never seen one like that firsthand, or even online to my knowledge. I'm not sure what the difference is between the American and the Inyo, except maybe a slightly different funnel stack.

So was the headlight anything like this?

I used the super-mini Miniatronics 1.5v bulb and put a reflector behind it (actually a piece of chrome confetti) to simulate an oil lamp. I had to paint the inside of the lantern many coats of black and then silver to seal up any light leaks. I made a diode constant voltage circuit that's in the tender, but purposely made it non-directional. It wasn't as easy to switch off an oil lamp. /tyco/forum/uploaded/NickelPlate759/icon_mi_4.gif

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on October 06 2012 3:53:16 PM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 23 2012 :  05:59:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nelson,
Nope it was just an open hole in my original headlight that someone tried to stuff a normal 12 volt bulb into......Was a real task to cover up the hole they drilled after I got looking at it and the bulb they used was rediculously bright for an oil light.

Its certainly an interesting model at this point!

~John

architrains
Switcher

Super Chief Wreck

Posted - September 15 2012 :  9:32:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add architrains to Buddylist
Hey EM-1, the Disney movie you are thinking of was probably the Great Locomotive Chase with Fess Parker. I believe they used it for the General, and the V&T's Inyo for the Texas. The William Mason also more recently starred as "The Wanderer" in Will Smith's "Wild Wild West" remake of the late 90s. Ironically, I have an AHM Inyo that I painted up in the pretty forest green paint scheme of the Wild Wild West movie.

So, I'm wondering, then, what you used to repower it? Mine is a later model with the round motor, so it might not need it (yet), but I like to keep tabs on what works because I'm young and since these trains are about twice as old as I am the old mechanisms might not last me the rest of my life My eventual goal is to get it done up with an LED headlight and DCC.

--Rio Grande--Thru the Rockies
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 89  ~  Member Since: November 20 2008  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 29 2012 :  09:30:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Hi John how is this a little fixeruper ! Hey you need a dome.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 29 2012 :  09:32:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
John here is the other one.
frank

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - September 29 2012 :  11:45:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Yeah Frank, when these pictures were taken is when I first got the Wm. Mason.....It now has the missing dome, and the drivers have been repainted to match the maroon paint.....

Not to mention for its size, it runs pretty well!

~John

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 29 2012 :  9:44:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
So what the heck happened to my uploaded photos? Flaky Tyco server.
The Tyco Depot

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 29 2012 :  11:37:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
So what the heck happened to my uploaded photos? Flaky Tyco server.
Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - September 29 2012 :  9:44:54 PM

Go to the Edit thing & re-edit your post
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - September 30 2012 :  12:57:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nelson, you posted photo's in here and they didn't show up? I can see all the older ones from months past.....
~John

Edited by - EM-1 on September 30 2012 12:57:51 AM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 06 2012 :  3:58:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Weird, I had to insert the entire picture url into my post, because the forum shorthand ones stopped working.

John, I found a boxed B&O 4-4-0 similar to yours. It has a diamond stack and a number instead of a name. These must have been late AHM offerings, since they aren't listed in the 78 scratchbuilder's bible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RIVAROSSI-AHM-5067-06-GENOA-LOCOMOTIVE-BALTIMORE-OHIO-/160891011081

The Tyco Depot

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 06 2012 :  4:01:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
anyone have a pic of the Wanderer From the movie & TV show?

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 06 2012 :  10:09:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nelson,
Interesting on that find! Altho, mine is the "William Mason" #25, the one you found pictures of it #11, painted almost the same way!

Interesting to say the least!

I wished I knew more of this, as the fellow I got mine from says its how it was when he bought it altho, he admits the lost dome was from him, when I got it.

And he had told me, the original box, was AHM made by Rivarossi for AHM.....It does have the original motor in it I think, can't remember if I had put in a small can or not......

I'll have to look to be sure! I might have re-motored it and don't remember.....

Ben,
Nope I don't have pictures of the Wanderer.....It was green tho if I recall correctly....

Nelson, on your picture insert you didn't ass the "[ img ] [ /img ]" without the spaces and didn't work? Thats odd!

~John

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 06 2012 :  10:27:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
John, did you see the closing bid? $112!

The end of the box shows it isn't a special or premiere production run. That's later 70's AHM box artwork, and it's the later plastic framed version with plastic domes. I'm guessing 79-80-ish, since it isn't listed in the Scratchbuilder's Bibles which go up to 1978.

As for the pictures, I just tried it and it works either way... with the full url or the shortened one. So something removed the image tags. Weird.

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on October 06 2012 10:28:27 PM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 06 2012 :  10:40:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nelson,
Yeah I seen the closing bid and that was an Inyo wasn't it? (Have to go look at it again!)

Nope a Genoa! WOW! I can't believe what the cost of stuff goes for at times! I got mine......................yep a work trade, the guy that had it, had TWO of them, yes, I said 2 of them, IDENTICAL.....Only the one he wanted to keep needed some gearing shims as the cover was not holding the worm down against the axle gear. he was lucky, that the worm, did not chew the axle gear apart! It was unharmed and I told him so....

But, he had 2 of these, and I told him, I'd trade him ALL the work on his, for the one missing parts......He was good for it, so thats how I got mine.....I also lighted his headlight on his model, cleaned up the whole thing, and match painted the drivers and pilot wheels faces as I done mine too, and I think I even added a brass boiler front numberplate to his that has "25" casted into it!

Othewr then that, the model to be the B&O's "William Mason" is really close replica to the real thing, altho today the William Mason, is green where the model is Maroon!

As for the image tags, that is weird!

~John

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 14 2012 :  6:17:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
And now, a few "updated" pictures of my B&O William Mason #25, 4-4-0....

As you can see, it looks slightly different from what it did from its factory state.....And the missing parts, have been replaced!

~John

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 15 2012 :  1:47:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
You're right; painting the wheel centers oxide red is a huge improvement. I don't like the semi-opaque molded drivers either.
The Tyco Depot

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 15 2012 :  2:42:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
It sure did make a difference as the looks just wasn't quite right the factory way!

I painted the driver centers and the pilot wheel centers along with the frame on the cow catcher.

Ohh yeah while I'm at it, I also added in a can motor too. I forgot I had.....After you do so many of them in a years time they all start running together on which is done and which wasn't done! LOL

~John

royal blue
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 14 2013 :  07:42:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add royal blue to Buddylist
quote:
Nelson,
Good call! I had to go look at that loco again and its NOT decaled at all! Its screen printed, that 1968 sheet you posted isn't the same year! This locomotive had a silver (unpainted, unblackened) motor, I wonder if this wasn't something done from the company of AHM just at the time it was going to become IHC, with rivarossi locomotive for the time that this locomotive was headed to the movie set? I say this as its about the same era when it was to be in the movie that Disney World put on (For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the movie but was like 25 or 30 years ago!)

I can tell you, it surprised me that its actually screen print lettered. As when you mentioned that, I had to look to see if it was decaled or not! (You can tell the difference from decals to screen printing in the finish under light at the right angle.)

I don't have the box to it but, I wonder on it now!

Originally posted by EM-1 - August 21 2012 :  8:21:05 PM

That movie made by disney was called The great locomotive chase made in 1956 which starred Fess Parker and Jeffery Hunter.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 457  ~  Member Since: February 20 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

royal blue
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 14 2013 :  07:45:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add royal blue to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - October 06 2012 :  4:01:34 PM

Funny thing micro,the william mason was restored by the strasburg railroad in strasburg Pa to operating condition for the Wild Wild West movie as it sat for many years,I cant believe it was only 5 miles from my house then and I didnt take no pics of it. but did find some on the net.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 457  ~  Member Since: February 20 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

royal blue
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 14 2013 :  07:46:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add royal blue to Buddylist
Beautiful loco EM-1,I always loved the 4-4-0 locos.

royal blue
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 14 2013 :  07:50:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add royal blue to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - October 06 2012 :  4:01:34 PM

Micro,here is the real William Mason at strasburg steaming up for a rest run after being fully restored.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 14 2013 :  08:51:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
John ; A very snazy looing locomotive. That is a positive responce! And are you going to repaint a Riverossi Genoa in the green with brass boiler bands.
It would look good.
frank

toptrain

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - January 14 2013 :  11:04:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
John ; A very snazy looing locomotive. That is a positive responce! And are you going to repaint a Riverossi Genoa in the green with brass boiler bands.
It would look good.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - January 14 2013 :  08:51:24 AM

Frank,
You know, I would...........trouble is, decals for the lettering, no one makes anything for the William Mason...So, it makes it difficult to complete it....The striping would not be difficult, but the lettering is the hard part in making it green! (I'd LOVE to have a green one!)

~John

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 14 2013 :  11:23:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
royal blue - I believe that the same loco they used for the Wanderer in the movie Wild Wild West Which is a good movie I liked it
Dunno what loco was used for the TV show but I'm sure it was a similar one

royal blue
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 14 2013 :  12:25:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add royal blue to Buddylist
quote:
royal blue - I believe that the same loco they used for the Wanderer in the movie Wild Wild West Which is a good movie I liked it

Originally posted by microbusss - January 14 2013 :  11:23:12 AM

correct it is the same loco for wild wild west movie,it was in fact restored for this movie,that shot is before the wanderer lettering was put on. the one for the tv was i think #3,currently undergoing restoration.

royal blue
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 14 2013 :  12:38:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add royal blue to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - January 14 2013 :  11:23:12 AM

correct it is the same loco for wild wild west movie,it was in fact restored for this movie,that shot is before the wanderer lettering was put on. the one for the tv was i think #3,currently undergoing restoration.

Originally posted by royal blue - January 14 2013 :  12:25:00 PM

wild wild west publicity photo for the pilot,number 3 letter changed to 5

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 14 2013 :  12:45:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well IF thats Sierra #3 then its been restored already

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - January 15 2013 :  12:13:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Guys,
The B&O's "William Mason" is a movie star... AND the oldest in operation steam loco in the USA! (Second oldest in operation in the world as its a 1856's locomotive!)

Only one other steamer beats it... The British-built "Fairy Queen" in India, in 1855!

~John

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 15 2013 :  10:44:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
wrong EM-1! The oldest operating locomotive in the world is.....The John Bull! Built in 1831!!
Remember the Smithsonian ran it in 1981

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - January 15 2013 :  4:35:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Ben,
HOWEVER the John Bull has had its boiler condemned since then! The William Mason and the Fairy Queen STILL operate! The Smithsonian only ran the John Bull in 1981, that was its last time under steam, was a span from 1831 to 1981 which was 150 years....Its no longer got an operational boiler!

The Fairy Queen in 1855 still operates today 2013, thats 158 years.....The William Mason, still in operation from 1856 to 2013, thats 157 years......

A lot of people don't realize that these 2 locomotives, the William Mason and the Fairy Queen, has had their boilers rebuilt......several times over their existence! The last boiler rebuild for the John Bull was when?

THATS the major issue keeping old steam, still running the boilers need continuous maintenance and rebuilding as the water rusts and plug things and rot through things.....They were built to last, sure, but magnesium can only hold out to so much time holding water, whether hot or cold! Inside, or out... Mother Nature has a way with things all by herself.....Whether inside or outside.....

I think that both the John Bull and the William Mason are kept in doors.....The Fairy Queen, I'm not sure of, BUT I thin its kept in doors to a point but does alot of out doors work!

History of the John Bull:

In 1939 the employees at the PRR's Altoona, Pennsylvania, workshops built an operable replica of the locomotive for further exhibition duties, as the Smithsonian desired to keep the original locomotive in a more controlled environment. After being on static display for the next 42 years, the Smithsonian commemorated the locomotive's 150th birthday in 1981 by firing it up, making it the world's oldest surviving operable steam locomotive. Today, the original John Bull is on static display once more in the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C. The replica John Bull is preserved at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania.

~John

Edited by - EM-1 on January 15 2013 4:38:16 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 15 2013 :  6:44:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
true I agree but with today's tech it wouldn't be hard to remake that boiler or for that matter BUILD a new loco
Think Peppercorn

royal blue
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 15 2013 :  11:49:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add royal blue to Buddylist
quote:
well IF thats Sierra #3 then its been restored already

Originally posted by microbusss - January 14 2013 :  12:45:22 PM

sorry micro my info was incorrect,its now operating. I posted before I knew my updated info. thanks for keeping me on my toes.

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - January 16 2013 :  7:07:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
true I agree but with today's tech it wouldn't be hard to remake that boiler or for that matter BUILD a new loco
Think Peppercorn

Originally posted by microbusss - January 15 2013 :  6:44:22 PM

Ben,
Even tho todays tech would take it to a whole new level, remember, the cost.....Work (hours), and the materials! Not to mention, man hours.....

As for building a "NEW" loco, that isn't the same 100 plus year old machine they are trying to preserve, for many more years to come!

~John

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - February 19 2013 :  10:24:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
A guy just built an operating replica based on plans for the replica CP "Jupiter" for the transcontinental railroad museum, and they're doing another one now for a civil war era RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 20 2013 :  08:01:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ray whoever this guy is contact him, ask for photos and permission to post and share them on your site here. Or see if he would like to join the forum and post his work himself. Most modelers like to have people coment on there work.
* People take a moment in time and make it. They are called duramas I think. Except with model trains, they come alive.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 20 2013 08:04:30 AM

alexanderr
Switcher

REAAvatar

Posted - February 08 2014 :  3:48:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add alexanderr to Buddylist
Hi NickelPlate,

I know this is over a year old, but I just got a Rivarossi JW Bowker and I was hoping you could advise me on the headlight, since you seem to have done nice work with yours. On mine, the headlight lens is very dark red, and I don't think there's a bulb inside. The headlight is mounted on a metal piece, but only one metal piece: it would need two wires for a circuit. And it doesn't look like the thing is meant to be opened.

So what did you do? Did you pop out the lens, and if so, with what tool? Did you find a clear lens to replace the dark one, and if so where? Did you drill a hole somewhere for wires? Where did you have the wires enter the main body of the locomotive?

Please pardon the newbie questions. I've never really modded a train before.

Thanks,
Bob

quote:
John, interesting that they show it with painted straps, & striped domes and cylinders. I've never seen one like that firsthand, or even online to my knowledge. I'm not sure what the difference is between the American and the Inyo, except maybe a slightly different funnel stack.

So was the headlight anything like this?

I used the super-mini Miniatronics 1.5v bulb and put a reflector behind it (actually a piece of chrome confetti) to simulate an oil lamp. I had to paint the inside of the lantern many coats of black and then silver to seal up any light leaks. I made a diode constant voltage circuit that's in the tender, but purposely made it non-directional. It wasn't as easy to switch off an oil lamp. /tyco/forum/uploaded/NickelPlate759/icon_mi_4.gif

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - August 22 2012 :  9:56:08 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2  ~  Member Since: February 08 2014  ~  Last Visit: February 25 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - February 10 2014 :  4:07:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Hi Bob,

My lens had yellowed, but I don't think it had any red tint to it. The yellowing was fine for a vintage oil lamp, so you'll have to determine if your lens is too reddish. The brass ring around the lens can be pried out of the lamp if you carefully slip an X-Acto blade in from the side and pry carefully in a few places.

The mini bulb wires run all the way into the tender. If you look closely at the picture, you can see the wires where they come through the hole I drilled into the lamp (through that melted pin they use to hold it to the bracket). I cut through the notch in the base of the stack (for the bracket tab that makes it face forward), then drilled a hole down through it so the wires can be fed down into the boiler without showing. They then run through a thin piece of tubing glued to the underside of the boiler weight on one side to keep them out of the gearing.

I didn't bother with any sort of disconnect plug, since loco & tender are permanently attached except for servicing. I have a simple diode circuit in the tender to provide a little less than 1.5v to the bulb in series with the can motor I installed. This circuit will work fine with the original motor as well.

Hope that helps.

The Tyco Depot

alexanderr
Switcher

REAAvatar

Posted - February 11 2014 :  10:14:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add alexanderr to Buddylist
Thank you Nelson!

- Bob
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2  ~  Member Since: February 08 2014  ~  Last Visit: February 25 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Rivarossi Baldwin 2-8-0 of 1918. The USRA. Topic Next Topic: HORNS FOR PAIR OF 1776 C LINERS  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000